Updates/improvements for Puppy 2.17

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
tempestuous

#16 Post by tempestuous »

Dougal informs me that he created a window with 1,2,3,4,5,6 lines and found the right height for each case.
And then he tried it with different gtk themes. All OK.
He wonders if it's those pixmaps used in Puppy that make the titlebar bigger and squeeze the text?

Regarding the functionality of the new wizard, it has been tested by me with an rt2570 device and prism2_usb device. All good in Puppy 2.16 and 2.17. But I can only test with WEP, not WPA or WPA2.
The wizard is still being refined. Dougal is currently trying to get prism2_usb scanning to work.

But even when the wizard is finished, there's no guarantee that there won't be some quirky incompatibility with certain hardware.
That's where we need feedback.
Same applies to the new dhcpcd package. Which leads me to gliezl's problem:

gliezl, there might be some incorrect setup information in the configuration file /var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-eth0.info
Delete this file and start again.
If no success, after running the wizard to check that the correct module(s) is loaded and interface names exist, DON'T press the DHCP button.
Instead, exit the wizard and run the dhcpcd command manually -

Code: Select all

dhcpcd eth0  ## (or eth1)
If no good, try to specify your client hostname -

dhcpcd -h puppypc eth0
or try this

dhcpcd -S eth0

DC

Pmount

#17 Post by DC »

Hi,
Is it possible that Pmount can show unmounted drive labels the same as MUT / GParted.

thanks

DC

gliezl

#18 Post by gliezl »

tempestuous,

I'll try that console commands. :-D Thanks.

I even tried using Slackware 12, but still it wont connect. Maybe I have problems with my configurations. Will it help if I post my dmesg results here both from Puppy & Slackware?
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

PaulBx1

#19 Post by PaulBx1 »

I finally had a time where I could test this new stuff. I installed that July 28 wizard, the other thing, and the new dhcpd. BTW I'm using Puppy 2.16.

1) I agree with Barry, lose the tree thing and just make it text.

2) I see no evidence of WPA2 stuff in here, did you rip it out? In the "edit profile" window it just gives buttons for "Open", "WEP" and "WPA/TKIP". So I couldn't test that.

3) FYI, on my router, when I select "WPA Personal" I get choices of "TKIP" (default) and "AES" for algorithms. When I select "WPA2 Personal" I get choices of "AES" (default) and "TKIP+AES". I don't know exactly what that means, but I suggest in the wizard we always use TKIP with WPA and AES with WPA2.

4) A suggestion: when building wpa_supplicant.conf, the network wizard puts the hex key there (the one created from a hash of the text key and ESSID). Please add there, as a comment, the text key that was used, for documentation purposes. It's hard to go backward from hashed function to text key! :)

5) And one really weird thing. Testing this, I had two pcmcia cards in my laptop; one for ethernet (to communicate with the router interface) and my wireless card. I was using the ethernet to try to make this post after my WPA2 attempt failed, but the keyboard was strange. You know when you hold a key down for a while, you get repeating characters? It was like that delay was shortened, so when I was typing in this window I got multiples of each character. Also noticed the CPU was very busy doing... something. Made it impossible to post a message. When I went back to WPA in the router and rebooted with the ethernet disconnected, and used the wireless instead to make this post, everything is fine. I looked but am not aware of any way to modify the keyboard delay in Puppy.

Anyway, didn't get far without WPA2 in there...

PaulBx1

#20 Post by PaulBx1 »

tempestuous, I tried your July 13 veeeeeeerssssssion, aand I ssee itt ddddoees haave aaa WPA2 button. Itt ddoes not sseem to moddify wwwpaa_ssssupplicant.cconff at aaaaall. Aaaaaaalssso no inddddiccccattion offff wheeeetttherr TKIP or AAAES was beeing used. Itt dddidddn't sssseem to dddo aaaanyttthingggg.

Aaaas you ccan ssee I'm haavingg ttroublee with my keybbboard again. CCCCPU usssssagee aalsssso veeeerrrry high, bbbbbbut TopCCCCPU only showws X aanddd Sssssseeeeamonkeeey, bbottth at a fffew peerrceenttt. I aaam ggoinggg to ggo bback tto my old pup_saveee. :x

DC

Partview minor fault

#21 Post by DC »

Hi,
Partview on my desktop always appears part hidden behind the taskbar

Changing Partview wm geometry to . +90-70 (was +90-35) clears my taskbar
my screen set at 1280 x 1024

DC

tempestuous

#22 Post by tempestuous »

EDIT - removed.
Last edited by tempestuous on Sat 25 Aug 2007, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

gliezl

#23 Post by gliezl »

Hi tempestuous, is there any difference in the command dhcpcd eth1 & dhclient eth1? Some linux forums say, use dhclient eth1. Does Puppy have a dhclient PET package?

I still get the IP 169.254.X.X and not giving me a default route & modifying the /etc/resolv.conf file.

Looking underneath my laptop, I found a white sticker. The manual says it is where the wireless adapter located. The model is "BCM94311MCG". Does the kernel/ndiswrapper support this? Windows XP sees this as "Broadcom Wireless Adapter IEEE802.11 a/b/g". It's using the file c:\windows\system32\drivers\bcmwl6.sys

Thanks a lot. :-D

tempestuous

#24 Post by tempestuous »

dhclient is an alternative DHCP client to dhcpcd.

First I suggest you install the fixed dhcpcd-3.1.4 package from earlier in this thread -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 533#130533

If no success, swap the components of your system to troubleshoot: test on a different computer, test with a different router, etc.
gliezl wrote:Windows XP sees this as "Broadcom Wireless Adapter IEEE802.11 a/b/g"
Yes, Puppy contains a native Linux driver for Broadcom wifi devices: bcm43xx. Try this first before resorting to ndiswrapper, otherwise known as the "unholy blending of Windows+Linux".

gliezl

#25 Post by gliezl »

Hi tempestuous, I still get the 169.254.X.X IP address. How do you connect to your wireless router manually? I mean, console-based configuration without using the wizard. Please include output of commands (iwlist, iwconfig & etc.) especially dhcpcd. Just for comparison. Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks.

:-D

tempestuous

#26 Post by tempestuous »

XIONG

#27 Post by XIONG »

Luckily I saw the website, I wish all the people happy