Need Linux driver for touchscreens

Using applications, configuring, problems
hushpuppy

Need Linux driver for touchscreens

#1 Post by hushpuppy »

I wrote some software (point of sale) for that other operating system that utilises touchscreens.
Ive rewrote the software in flash (initially i used delphi), and would now like to get rid of windows on the machines, and use puppy linux instead.

This has become a bit of a nightmare for at least one of the units, a CTX PV500T, i cannot find a linux driver anywhere for it, despite hours of searching.

It also took me ages to even discover what controller the monitor used, (i think its ) a Panjit Touchset serial controller by Chuntex Electronics.

Most of the information out there for Linux and touchscreens seem to be outdated (aimed at XFree86 not xorg) therefore ive decided to put together as much information as possible, and hopefully create an addon (sfs or pet ) that will detect touchscreens and configure them.

Can anyone point me in the direction of ways to detect serial touchscreen controllers ?, does anyone have ANY links about linux touchscreens, and any information at all on how to get this ***** (insert appropriate expletive here) ctx working.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

See my touchscreen HOWTO here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 350#129350

My understanding is that most external touchscreens have a USB interface, and internal touchscreens have a serial interface ...
but don't hold me to that.
If I'm right, then many/most external touchscreens can use the "evtouch" Xorg input driver which is discussed in that thread,
and many internal touchscreens can use the "fujitsu" Xorg input driver, with HOWTO here -
http://stz-softwaretechnik.com/~ke/touc ... eries.html

hushpuppy

#3 Post by hushpuppy »

Thanks for the links and information, greatly appreciated.

My situation is maybe more complicated as my PC doesnt have a serial port as such, i have to use a usb convertor, works fine in windows though.

The touch screen monitor im currently using has a serial port, i think it would have been much easier with USB, there doesnt appear to be any way to query the serial port to discover the manufacturer - can anyone suggest a way?.

I'll post back here any successes.

Thanks again.

hushpuppy

#4 Post by hushpuppy »

Well i finally got the touchscreen working.

My main problem was that i couldnt figure out which driver to use, i had spent hours looking on the net with little luck.

Eventually i figured out which driver, it is the onetouch driver.
* ftp://ftp.gnudd.com/pub/onetouch
* http://www.gnudd.com/software/#onetouch

I compiled the driver with little fuss, but still couldnt get the thing to work.

I knew what the problem was, i was using the wrong device (/dev/ttyS0), but couldnt figure out what the correct device was.

After much head scratching i realised i needed to modprobe pl2303 and modprobe usbserial then i managed to figure out that the serial port was at /dev/usb/ttyUSB0.

I intend to create a pet package for this driver over the next couple of days, will post back here with attatchments when it is completed.