alternative dns servers

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

alternative dns servers

#1 Post by GuestToo »

alternative dns servers

sometimes your isp's dns servers stop working

this sets up your network to use public dns servers instead
your regular server setup should be restored when you reboot
Attachments
altdns.pup
altDNS
(1.97 KiB) Downloaded 1321 times

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

First, I want to thank you for all the great work dotpups you contribute!

I don't use DHCP and resolv.conf doesn't get reconfigured on reboot, so what I did was added a couple servers to the list.

According to the way I understand it, the software sends requests virtually simultaneously to all the servers on the list. The first server to respond is the one the software will accept as true and then start the next step in the connection process.

I don't know off hand what the limit of the amount of servers on the list is in Linux. In windows days, I'd run from three to ten and the log showed the ones that returned. It could be any one of the servers on the list, and of course some servers are routinely faster than others. After viewing the log and determining the slowest servers, I'd drop them from the list.

What I'd really like is a way of logging the outbound names and IP addresses my computer makes, so I can put the frequently visited sites ones in the hosts and more importantly put the unwanted ones in the block list.

Question: Do you know how to log outbound names and IP addresses with Linux?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

all this does is writes a new /etc/resolv.conf file

/etc/resolv.conf.sv should be a backup

on my machine, a new resolv.conf is setup every time Puppy boots
i found older backups of resolv.conf stopped working, so i just backed up the latest one to /tmp

if you have an unusual resolv.conf file, it is possible that this program will write over it ... but, it should be possible to make sure the original resolv.conf is backed up somewhere

i think the number of nameservers resolv.conf can have is a compile option, and the default is 3 ... so if you put more than 3 nameservers in resolv.conf, only 3 of them will be used

it will always try them in order, unless you put options rotate in resolv.conf

i may be wrong, but i think what happens is it asks dns server #1 for the ip address of a url, and if it times out (you can set the timeout as an option) then it tries server #2, then if it times out it asks server #3

some people ping the dns servers, and choose the ones with the fastest ping times ... but a server with a fast ping time might not be the fastest server

putting frequently accesssed urls in hosts (like google, eg.) is a good idea ... not only is it slightly faster, but sometimes there are problems with dns servers and the websites sometimes seem to "go offline" ... this sometimes happened to distrowatch.com

i don't know how to log outbound names/address, but there's probably a way ... i guess you could add a rule to iptables that would log all outbound requests

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

by the way, various proxies usually log all transactions

for example, if you run Privoxy, every file ( html, gif, png, jpg, etc etc) that is requested is logged ... the wrapper script i wrote that starts Privoxy erases the log file every time Privoxy starts, because the log files can get quite big if you don't, but that line can be commented out