Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Oct 2014, 04:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
LighthousePup "Testing the Water" 215Beta4 ISO 182MB
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 7 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2007, 12:49    Post_subject:  

Ah. I was confusing Lighthouse with its Mariner add-on.

Same principle holds, just surf to

http://www.lhpup.org/sfs/lhp-mar-02_215.sfs

and save it to disk, then treat it like any other .sfs. That is, if a frugal (co-exist, option 1) install of Puppy with an already-existing pup_save.2fs, then you put the .sfs in /mnt/home, from where it will be recognized at next boot. And if a hard disk install, then you have to mount -o loop it and copy it to / (if you are using a hard disk install then you probably already know how to do that). Errrr, I should admit here, I have not yet tried the auto-sfs-chooser-at-boot-time yet. Perhaps that simplifies things and my instructions are not only obtuse but actually needless Wink .
tazoc

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2007, 13:17    Post_subject:  

Sit Heel Speak wrote:
...wget doesn't work, it seems to be disabled on tazoc's server. However, if you start Seamonkey and enter the URL

http://lhpup.org/beta/lhp215/lighthouse215SeaM_beta4.iso

you will get a dialog box. Choose "Save it to disk" ...
That's curious, I just tried wget (dnd SeaM to Rox 2.6,) Xwget and BK's Puppy Axel GUI on the file with no problem.
Code:
--09:36:35--  http://www.lhpup.org/beta/lhp215/lighthouse215SeaM_beta4.iso
           => `lighthouse215SeaM_beta4.iso'
Resolving www.lhpup.org... 74.53.208.46
Connecting to www.lhpup.org|74.53.208.46|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 190,515,200 (182M) [application/octet-stream]

6% [==>                                           ] 12,576,859   338.70K/s    ETA 09:02
Well at least it works with good ol' SeaMonkey for you!
SHS, do you ever get over to the east side? I'm in the Tri-Cities. Maybe we could meet for coffee sometime.
Take Care,
TazOC

Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2007, 16:42    Post_subject:  

tazoc wrote:
That's curious, I just tried wget (dnd SeaM to Rox 2.6,) Xwget and BK's Puppy Axel GUI on the file with no problem...
Hmmm. I had trouble last Friday wget'ting Puppy 2.17 from the ibiblio mirror too. But wget worked flawlessly for getting 2.17 from one of the lesser-known mirrors. Perhaps there is a router in between me and you (and me and ibiblio) that doesn't like wget.

Or maybe it's a case of PEBKAC.

I have a married stepdaughter with kids in Richland, so I tend to avoid the Tri-Cities, but it's inevitable that I drive there every third Christmas or so. No trips planned in the near future, but I guess I'd better soon because both my wife and I have forgotten the grandkids' names. I'll heads-up you when I do.
djthor

PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2007, 13:39    Post_subject:  

Please excuse that post being in the wrong place above. I was in a hurry and have not posted here before. Allow me to introduce myself, as I'm new here, names Dale, but you can call me what you wish. I've migrated to puppy after trying close to 30, maybe more live cd distros. Initially mystified by the multi-session option, and that is my chosen way to run this puppy. I've read through a lot, most of the posts, to learn all I could. I would like to thank all the mods and others who have provided helpful information, so I could set all your puppies up uniquely multisession. I enjoy the heck out of these puppies, and have begun passing out copies to friends and relatives, and helping them set it up. I feel like I owe you all something, and would love to help out, however I most likely still need some help myself. But am learning fast. To the creator, Barry, please don't stop, this is totally awesome. The above post should have been here.

Currently using Lighthouse pup multi-session with added mariner sfs and pkg sfs from 215ce, so it's just loaded with beauty and tons of nice progs.

heh, windows refugee
Dj
tazoc

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug 2007, 16:12    Post_subject:  Welcome!  

Welcome, djthor Smile
Thank you for the comments and feedback. Barry and his team are doing a great job, indeed. Nice, I like that you're sharing Puppy with friends. Good to hear that you are testing Lighthouse as well. I think you are giving back already. woof woof!

I'm working on Lighthouse215Beta5, news at www.lhpup.org as well as an SFS addon that includes K3b www.k3b.org, a great CD and DVD burning application, and The GIMP image editor from Nathan Fisher's excellent pgs graphics and desktop publishing suite.
Take care,
TazOC

Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug 2007, 19:50    Post_subject:  

@tazoc: I've now made a full hdd install of lhpbeta4 pus the two .sfs's, and so far, so good. It appears there's a new Puppy master in town. You've put a lot of thought into the menu system; nice structure, nice looks. Admirable work...
tazoc

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug 2007, 22:20    Post_subject:  

SHS,
Wink Smile That's very kind. Naaa, Sit,Heel,Speak is the master! Taz(OC) just runs after it! love to tweak whatever I'm using and to practice scripting www.die.net/doc/linux/abs-guide when I have an idea. I appreciate your feedback and I'm glad your setup is working. The menus in Linux, and in most any system with plenty of apps installed, can be daunting. Ideally one could point and click to choose the layout, ordering of entries, hide unused ones or move groups and change categories at will. But I've tried to make them reasonably balanced and complete without wandering too far from Puppy's menu system. Some of the menu system's best ideas came from rarsa, MU in Muppy, Nathan Fisher, BK and others on this forum.

I'm reluctant to advocate the full HDD install for anyone unfamiliar with the pitfalls one is likely to encounter. (Start | Help | Hints and Tips | Installation "Note: A traditional full hard-disk install is not recommended.")

How did you get the SFS modules to merge? Can you load and unload them? Though the full install is very common with other distros and may have a few advantages, I've found that the frugal install is generally simpler and easier to update and modify with existing tools and methods in Puppy. It's also easier to dual-boot with Puppy 2.17, without repartitioning. If you already have full GRUB installed, see www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=132160#132160
Thanks so much for your comments,
TazOC

Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2007, 00:55    Post_subject:  

tazoc wrote:
...Sit,Heel,Speak is the master...
Hardly; it is self-evident that you are light-years ahead of me. I'm an old xBase pro from 20 years back. Which means I never did learn html, and still think in for-next terms in an object-oriented bash-and-C world.

tazoc wrote:
I'm reluctant to advocate the full HDD install...How did you get the SFS modules to merge? Can you load and unload them?
No. Dougal and Jesse might, but I don't have the scripting know-how to make BootManager work on a full hdd install. I incorporated the sfs's' contents into the / directory tree via the method I describe at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=20750 and hope I didn't confuse the taffy out of the original poster. I know of no easy way of unmerging the sfs's once merged-in this way.

I'm well aware of the superiority of the frugal install. I'm playing now with full hdd installs as a learning crutch. Jealous of tempestuous's success in compiling a real-time kernel under Puppy, I tried following him but struck out. But I did manage to compile (in Gentoo) the next-best thing, a Con Kolivas staircase-deadline-scheduler ("ck-patched") 2.6.21.5 kernel with all the necessary Puppy patches to work in 2.17. It would probably meet my modest needs. It does archive-unpacks like lightning. It juggles well: I can watch a DVD while downloading an .iso and compiling. For at least 5 minutes. Then it crashes X.

So, I'm using a full hdd Puppy install and diff to deduce, one driver and lib at a time, why this uber-kernel is rock-solid when compiled, installed, and used under a Gentoo full hdd install, but not rock-solid when compiled under Gentoo and installed/used under Puppy.

Leachim, tempestuous, John Doe, and undoubtedly others will have already finished making better puplets than I could make, based on real-time kernels with the new Ingo Molnar scheduler, by the time you read this. Still, curiosity drives...
tazoc

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug 2007, 21:13    Post_subject:  

SHS,
Ahh Interesting! I know next to nothing about compiling. Never even tried the devx_2nn.sfs module or any kernel work. "Compiling a real-time kernel" sounds very cool though. Maybe someday I'll have to learn about it.

Have you ever tried 'cp -ax' instead of 'cp -R'? MU suggested it in a post a while back. Works well for me, though I can't really explain the difference. cp --help didn't shed much light for me, except that 'cp -a' is the same as 'cp -dpR'.

Sometimes I use Rox-Filer to copy and if I'm sure about over-writing I hold down the Alt+Y keys. I wonder what command that would be equivalent to? Hmm Wink probably something dangerous!
Take care,
TazOC

melmc

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug 2007, 11:24    Post_subject: symlink from what  

Great job tazoc! I am glad you have included the sfs files. I view Firefox, Thunderbird and K3b as essentials. The sfs files are working great with Lighthouse but I have a question regarding their use with 2.17. The website says make a symlink to it. My question is from what? My understanding is that a link requires a from and a to. It looks like you have only specified the to. Maybe the from is understood as assumed by those more knowledgeable than me but I am confused.
melmc

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug 2007, 13:16    Post_subject:  

On further reflection I may have figured out what I was confused about. Do you mean create a symlink in your home directory to "pgs_K3b-12.17-02_215.sfs" named " pgs_K3b-12.17-02_217.sfs"?
tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug 2007, 23:51    Post_subject: SFS modules
Sub_title: symlink for testing in Puppy 2.17

melmc

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug 2007, 15:27    Post_subject:  

I am running Lighthouse from CD with the sfs files on a usb flash. Firefox updated automatically but has to reinstall the update every session. Is there any way I can fix this, i.e. install the update permanently.
tazoc

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug 2007, 18:25    Post_subject: Firefox has to reinstall the update every session  

melmc wrote:
I am running Lighthouse from CD with the sfs files on a usb flash. Firefox updated automatically but has to reinstall the update every session. Is there any way I can fix this, i.e. install the update permanently.
It sounds like maybe the FF update isn't completely installing. I wonder, if you click Edit | Preferences | Advanced | Show Update History, what is the entry on top? (first four lines) Mine, abbreviated is:
Firefox 2.0.0.6 (2007072517) Security Update ... The Update was successfully installed.

A temporary workaround might be to un-check the automatic updates for Firefox on that same panel, and then manually apply updates regularly with Help | Check for updates. Let me know what your Update History is showing and whether the workaround helps and I'll keep looking for a better solution.
-TazOC

melmc

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug 2007, 18:57    Post_subject:  

The update entry shows the same as yours. The date of installation shows when it was first installed. Yet, every time I first run Firefox during a session it indicates that it is installing the update before it starts.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 7 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum