Why no "kill" button in 2.15CE system menu?

Using applications, configuring, problems
BigPilot

Why no "kill" button in 2.15CE system menu?

#1 Post by BigPilot »

Is anyone still working on 2.15CE?

I love this distro (using it now to write this post) but one thing I miss is a 'kill' button in the system menu. I just had Mozilla Seamonkey hang on me and it's just so much easier to kill with a menu item in the system menu like in 'normal' Puppy releases.

Even though Linux cannot stop faulty programs from hanging I've found the 'Kill' a foolproof way to kill a program (unlike Windows).
Last edited by BigPilot on Sun 11 Nov 2007, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

alienjeff

#2 Post by alienjeff »

Try right clicking on Seamonkey in the taskbar/tray and see if a pop-up window/menu appears which includes the kill option. Works w/JWM - not sure about iceWM.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#3 Post by Billwho? »

I'm using the alpha version so things may be slightly different in the final release of 215CE. On the left of the taskbar is a folder icon (marked "Quick Launch Menu" if you hover the mouse over it). Left click it and on "Kill Process" in the resulting drop-down (drop-up???) menu. Choose the process from the list and click on kill.
Hope this helps
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

jonyo

#4 Post by jonyo »

Works but involves 5 mouse clicks total.
alienjeff wrote:Try right clicking on Seamonkey in the taskbar/tray and see if a pop-up window/menu appears which includes the kill option. Works w/JWM - not sure about iceWM.
Last edited by jonyo on Thu 08 Nov 2007, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

jonyo

#5 Post by jonyo »

Tried this in final but found it more complicated than the above option.
Billwho? wrote:I'm using the alpha version so things may be slightly different in the final release of 215CE. On the left of the taskbar is a folder icon (marked "Quick Launch Menu" if you hover the mouse over it). Left click it and on "Kill Process" in the resulting drop-down (drop-up???) menu. Choose the process from the list and click on kill.
Hope this helps