WakePup2 for Puppy 2.x and greater (NOW WITH more SUPPORT)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Crash

#91 Post by Crash »

The latest version of Wakepup2 works fine booting up Puppy 3.00 Beta to a USB stick. I have booted it OK in both the \ directory and in a subdirectory (puppy300).

It looks like the Wakepup2 that actually made it to the Beta version was the next-to-last iteration. It works too, just with the couple of minor issues mentioned earlier.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#92 Post by BarryK »

Oh, did I somehow miss the very latest in 3.00beta? What's the link to grab the latest?

Crash

#93 Post by Crash »

Yes, there was one more iteration that is dated Sep 16 and it is at the same site:

John Doe wrote:

posted an image to save barry some time:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 924#122924

it has the md5sum

370f75b8241f8696a75d7813e8a0e6b4 wakepup2.img

Maybe not a dollar short, but probably a day late!

John Doe

#94 Post by John Doe »

thanks crash. i'll bump one more image out in the next 24hrs as i have to fix some menus.

dgi

#95 Post by dgi »

Hi. I tried option 7 in the image above in order to boot from a CD drive plugged into a PCMCIA SCSI card. It seems you tried to graft WfW311's PCMCIA stack onto FreeDOS, and that didn't work so well, so I replaced it with:
http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/~map/aasto ... rdsoft.zip
Then, I grafted on the SCSI drivers from the UltimateBootCD, and changed CONFIG.SYS, adding a few files. Below is my modification of the above image, which successfully brought up the Puppy kernel with this setup:

Crash

#96 Post by Crash »

I tried dgi's version with Puppy 3.00 Beta 2 and it works the same as John Doe's latest version for both USB flash and internal ATA hard drive installs. For both media, it will boot Puppy either in the "\" directory or in a subdirectory.

I can not comment on the new PCMCIA support as I don't have any hardware that I can test it on.

swarnick

Added drivers and modified config.sys for wakepup floppy

#97 Post by swarnick »

I scanned the last page of this thread and it looks like most of the contributions have to do with getting puppy to boot once the USB drive has been mapped. I was having the opposite problem. On many of my machines the freedos boot would always hang when loading the aspidisk driver.

I found an older aspidisk driver that would work (probably a USB 1.1 driver), namely the old motto hairu di1000dd.sys driver.

In an attempt to help others who might be getting stuck on the DOS part of wakepup2 I made some improvements which I am uploading for evaluation. If others find them useful they could be included in the official wakepup image.

Summary of changes:
1. Put Motto hairu and druze drivers (unzipped) right on the floppy image. There is plenty of room on a 1.44 MB floppy.
2. Modified config.sys to present a 2-option menu. The user can pick either the existing aspidisk.sys driver (works on newer systems) or the di1000dd.sys.
3. Supplied a readme with a description of how USB functionality is added to DOS at boot time and explaining what aspidisk.sys and di1000dd.sys do and why having a choice between them is a good thing.
4. Added three small editors so that the user is not stuck if he can boot into freedos but not puppy. A few quick edits to config.sys or autoexec.bat can often solve the problem.

These changes helped me get puppy running from a USB key on every machine I've tried. Admittedly I use a small selection of keys but that's all the keys I've got (smile). I hope someone else finds what I've done useful.

Crash

#98 Post by Crash »

swarnick-

Sorry for the late response. I overlooked this post and just noticed it.

I appreciate the inputs. It would be nice to add even more drivers, but I'm trying to think of a way to do that without making the opening menu too complex - in other forum threads, I have noticed mention that this new version is too difficult to navigate. It would be nice if config.sys supported multi-level menus like autoexec.bat does. Then there could maybe be a first menu that offers "standard" or "advanced" options. But as far as I can tell, this isn't possible in config.sys. Maybe others can comment on this.

Also, the first thing I add to the disk is an editor. I use the Windows 98 editor, but it is proprietary and can't be distributed. I have also used OSPEDIT and EDITV, but they are kind of big.

I don't see a download - if you can't successfully do a download, can you please at least post the highlights of your config.sys changes and a listing of the files you added, maybe even the readme text?

Thanks,

Crash