WakePup2 for Puppy 2.x and greater (NOW WITH more SUPPORT)

Using applications, configuring, problems
BarryK
Puppy Master

#76 Post by BarryK »

John Doe, Jonyo, Crash,
Has it reached a point where it can be put into pup 3.00beta? If any more mods, could you post here and I'll grab it. I plan to upload the beta on 16th but want to get it ready and do some testing a couple of days prior.

jonyo

#77 Post by jonyo »

If I understand correctly, that''d mean.. -WakePup2 for Puppy 2.x and greater(NOW WITH USB 1.1 SUPPORT) and also 2?
Sit Heel Speak wrote:Nothing to see here folks, it Just Works(tm). Booting 2.17.1 on usb flash key (keypresses 6-4-1) through both a usb 1.1 and a usb 2.0 port.

Crash

#78 Post by Crash »

This version looks good to me. I've used it to boot to USB stick and hard drive no problems. I found out my cockpit problem in trying to boot V2.20 Alpha in a subdirectory - you have to move the USBFLASH marker file to the subdirectory too. Then Wakepup2 drops you to the subdirectory menu OK. This post is from USB stick with Puppy 2.20 Alpha in the subdirectory using the latest Wakepup2 version.

My only concern is that the utility NTFSDOS.EXE is on the floppy image. This is the Sysinternals product that was bought by Microsoft, and I don't know the licensing implications.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#79 Post by BarryK »

Crash wrote:My only concern is that the utility NTFSDOS.EXE is on the floppy image. This is the Sysinternals product that was bought by Microsoft, and I don't know the licensing implications.
Sh, sh! We can just keep quiet about it. The worst they could do would be to tell us to take it out? ..or could they fine us? Perhaps we do need to find some kind of licence statement about it, something prior to when MS bought the company.

Side note: I'm really worried about MS buying into everything. It's getting difficult to find companies that are not compromised.

jonyo

#80 Post by jonyo »

I'm quite sure that if it matters to Bill one way or another that he'll chime in here. Good bet he'll look the other way cos after all, he's a big fan of pup. :D

picatrix

#81 Post by picatrix »

Hi,
wakepup2 doesn't work for me: I'm tryng to boot Puppy 2.15CE from a Sandisk Ultra Pc Card (PCMCIA to Compact Flash) Adapter on an Ibm Thinkpad R31 laptop.
It simply doesn't recognize any PCMCIA card; how can I help for debugging?

Best Regards

Picatrix

jonyo

#82 Post by jonyo »

jonyo wrote:Not sure if flash mem is ok to use as a swap partition but if it is, you'd want to make one
From what i've read..Not the way to go..

jonyo

#83 Post by jonyo »

I'll have to leave that for others much more capable & qualified than myself to decide. I'm doing my best just to try & figure things out. :)
BarryK wrote:John Doe, Jonyo, Crash,
Has it reached a point where it can be put into pup 3.00beta? If any more mods, could you post here and I'll grab it. I plan to upload the beta on 16th but want to get it ready and do some testing a couple of days prior.

John Doe

#84 Post by John Doe »

big thanks to all for the comments. sorry i haven't responded in detail to them all.

here is the latest:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 924#122924

would have posted it last night but i was getting false positives on the subdirectory loop. fixed it by nulling the drv variable.

moved the subdirectory selection to the first menu in autoexec.bat.
Crash wrote:...problem in trying to boot V2.20 Alpha in a subdirectory - you have to move the USBFLASH marker file to the subdirectory too. Then Wakepup2 drops you to the subdirectory menu OK.
thanks. added text to the menu concerning this.

barry can you comment on the following?
John Doe wrote:got iomega zip and adaptec cd drivers out of pupwake. not sure if puppy still supports these methods, but figure i'd throw them in incase it does.
i'll remove it if it doesn't work.

also the subdirectory option in wakepup2 supports (and implies that puppy supports) multiple subdir levels. i thought i recall barry posting that puppy only goes to one level. should i change this or is it easy enough to check if puppy can go deeper than 1 or perhaps enable it somehow?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#85 Post by BarryK »

John Doe wrote:barry can you comment on the following?
John Doe wrote:got iomega zip and adaptec cd drivers out of pupwake. not sure if puppy still supports these methods, but figure i'd throw them in incase it does.
i'll remove it if it doesn't work.

also the subdirectory option in wakepup2 supports (and implies that puppy supports) multiple subdir levels. i thought i recall barry posting that puppy only goes to one level. should i change this or is it easy enough to check if puppy can go deeper than 1 or perhaps enable it somehow?
I don't know thew answer to the first question.
Yes, one-deep only.

Crash

#86 Post by Crash »

The latest version also works good. I just noticed something when booting into the subdirectory (it's been this way all along). The psubdir parameter is set like this:

psubdir=puppy220\

The backslash caught my eye, since the root= parameter has front slashes. Should the backslash be deleted? (easier said than done.)

///

Oops... one more change.

Since you added "7. SubDirectory Change the directory for Puppy" and moved everything down, the choice statement needs to be modified from:

choice /C:12345678 Please choose :

to:

choice /C:123456789 Please choose :

///

BarryK
Puppy Master

#87 Post by BarryK »

The 'psubdir' boot parameter in Puppy should be without any '/' (or '\'), just the folder name. For example 'psubdir=puppy300'

Crash

#88 Post by Crash »

Actually, the fix for getting rid of the backslash is easier than I thought. You just have the user type in the directory name only. It goes into an added variable, then the backslash is appended to the original variable:

set /P usrinput2=
set usrinput=%usrinput2%\
echo You entered: "%usrinput2%"

Then substitute usrinput with usrinput2 in the line:

if not "%usrinput2%"=="" echo psubdir=%usrinput2% >> linld\puppy.lin

I also changed the menu message to say:

echo * Do not enter trailing slash, example: *
echo * *
echo * YourDirectory *

and set the usrinput2 variable to null in two initialization sections:

set usrinput=
set usrinput2=

I attached the autoexec.bat file since this description may not be completely clear.
Attachments
autoexec.bat.gz
(3.47 KiB) Downloaded 551 times

John Doe

#89 Post by John Doe »

Crash wrote:I attached the autoexec.bat file since this description may not be completely clear.
your description was CRYSTAL CLEAR. THANKS!!

posted an image to save barry some time:

John Doe

#90 Post by John Doe »

jonyo wrote:If I understand correctly, that''d mean.. -WakePup2 for Puppy 2.x and greater(NOW WITH USB 1.1 SUPPORT) and also 2?
Sit Heel Speak wrote:Nothing to see here folks, it Just Works(tm). Booting 2.17.1 on usb flash key (keypresses 6-4-1) through both a usb 1.1 and a usb 2.0 port.
re: 1.1 and 2.0

i changed the subject. it's not 1.1 and 2.0, it's 2 different USB drivers. one works with some stuff the other works with others and they seem to conflict sometimes. perhaps even trying to load them in the opposite order would stop the freezes. the original subject was due to my test equipment and the behaviour i originally saw in my one machine booting with a 1.1 ide card and the new driver. i'll change the menu to indicate this before 3.0 is released. sorry for the confusion. my bad.

regarding some other thoughts raised in here. i still need a himem guru to let me know how to get the damn thing to load on old and new boards.

also i believe there is a character encoding problem with autoexec.bat and config.sys.

i get the same error sometimes on the = as big pc man shows at the following link when i load '7?!devicehigh=driver\cardwiz\sstpic95.exe /SK2:2' in config.sys testing pcmcia on a machine that doesn't even have it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 931#140931

opened autoexec.bat and config.sys with geany tonight and noted they are utf-8. need to remember what ANSI FreeDOS would want most.

Crash

#91 Post by Crash »

The latest version of Wakepup2 works fine booting up Puppy 3.00 Beta to a USB stick. I have booted it OK in both the \ directory and in a subdirectory (puppy300).

It looks like the Wakepup2 that actually made it to the Beta version was the next-to-last iteration. It works too, just with the couple of minor issues mentioned earlier.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#92 Post by BarryK »

Oh, did I somehow miss the very latest in 3.00beta? What's the link to grab the latest?

Crash

#93 Post by Crash »

Yes, there was one more iteration that is dated Sep 16 and it is at the same site:

John Doe wrote:

posted an image to save barry some time:

it has the md5sum

370f75b8241f8696a75d7813e8a0e6b4 wakepup2.img

Maybe not a dollar short, but probably a day late!

John Doe

#94 Post by John Doe »

thanks crash. i'll bump one more image out in the next 24hrs as i have to fix some menus.

dgi

#95 Post by dgi »

Hi. I tried option 7 in the image above in order to boot from a CD drive plugged into a PCMCIA SCSI card. It seems you tried to graft WfW311's PCMCIA stack onto FreeDOS, and that didn't work so well, so I replaced it with:
http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/~map/aasto ... rdsoft.zip
Then, I grafted on the SCSI drivers from the UltimateBootCD, and changed CONFIG.SYS, adding a few files. Below is my modification of the above image, which successfully brought up the Puppy kernel with this setup: