SOLVED: A question regarding "kill" in IceWM

Using applications, configuring, problems
bugman

SOLVED: A question regarding "kill" in IceWM

#1 Post by bugman »

I've noticed that there is no "kill" entry in the menu you get when you right-click on a program in the taskbar or title bar in IceWM. All you can do is "close", which does not do much for a frozen app.

However, if you click on "Window list", you get an expanded "close", which includes a "kill" option.

Is there a way to change the simple "close" of the task/title bars to the better "close" of the window list? It would save a step, which is half of any battle...
Last edited by bugman on Sat 14 Jul 2007, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

close will give an application time to write open files to the disk and clean up stuff.
Kill will destroy it in a very brute way, by stopping the process in the process-table.
Kill should only be used for applications, that do not respond any more.

Mark

bugman

#3 Post by bugman »

Mark-

In my question, I referred to a "frozen app". I guess I should have said "non-responding app". But my question remains...

WhoDo

Re: A question regarding "kill" in IceWM

#4 Post by WhoDo »

bugman wrote:Is there a way to change the simple "close" of the task/title bars to the better "close" of the window list? It would save a step, which is half of any battle...
Yep. From the IceWM manual:
WinMenuItems

Items to show in the window menus, possible values are:

r=Restore, m=Move, s=Size, n=miNimize, x=maXimize, f=Fullscreen, h=Hide, u=roolUp, a=rAise, l=Lower, y=laYer, t=moveTo, i=trayIcon, c=Close, k=Kill, w=WindowsList

Examples:

WinMenuItems=rmsnxfhualyticw #Default menu
WinMenuItems=rmsnxfhualytickw #Menu with all possible options
WinMenuItems=rmsnxc #MS-Windows menu
Now all you need is to find the preferences or default.theme entry that sets those options for an application button on the taskbar. I'll leave that up to you, bugman, ok? :P
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

bugman

Re: A question regarding "kill" in IceWM

#5 Post by bugman »

WhoDo wrote:[Now all you need is to find the preferences or default.theme entry that sets those options for an application button on the taskbar. I'll leave that up to you, bugman, ok? :P
I'd found the same thing online, but there is no entry for WinMenuItems in the relevant file. Was wondering if things had been changed to make it work in Puppy in some way. I know very little about these things. Or, do I just add the line???

:?

Maybe I will try that. But it seemed like, there is a WinMenu, so the configuration has to be somewhere, right?

Will try adding the line after all mission critical work is done for the day. I stayed up late to watch "Billy the Kid vs Dracula" last night, but still have to work this morning...

bugman

#6 Post by bugman »

OK, that works, thanks!

I guess I didn't realize that config files might be incomplete, and that you might want to add a line here or there, rather than just modifying existing lines.

:oops:

Fossil

#7 Post by Fossil »

Hi bugman

I'm late... as per usual....

Anyway, here's how I did it. Open up ~/.icewm. Find prefoverride. Right-click, open as text. Select the series of commands required and drop them into the end of the script.
WinMenuItems=rmsnxfhualytickw #Menu with all possible options

Save.
Restart Icewm. That's it.

bugman

#8 Post by bugman »

Thanks, Fossil!

Btw, I live a mile from Makoshika State Park, where many fossils can be found...