Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Dec 2014, 20:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
audio on ebox 2300
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
Springer

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul 2007, 19:14    Post subject:  audio on ebox 2300  

I'm using Puppy 2.16 on the tiny little eBox 2300 system (available from WDL systems in the US) as an embedded OS. Is there some trick to getting audio to work on this box? It doesn't appear that the audio hardware is being properly detected.

P.S.: Although I'll be running a stripped-down Puppy as a platform for an embedded application and not even starting X (once I figure out how to turn it off without run-levels! - any pointers?), I've got to say I'm pleasantly surprised at the speed of 2.16 on this box. There were a lot of comments in the forum about previous versions being painfully slow, and while it's not blindingly fast, I'd have to say it's pretty darn usable, especially for 128MB and only 166MHz (or 200 MHz, depending on which datasheet you read...), and running entirely from a CF drive. BTW - others also reported installation problems - I think they were trying too hard - I made one BIOS tweak to allow booting from the USB CD-ROM, and the rest just works.

Puppy Universal Installer is a completely amazing piece of code - kudos to whoever got that working as well as it does. I *love* 5-minute installs!
Dougal

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul 2007, 06:33    Post subject: Re: audio on ebox 2300  

Springer wrote:
not even starting X (once I figure out how to turn it off without run-levels! - any pointers?

What about Shutdown-->Exit to prompt?

You can also boot with "puppy pfix=nox".

Try searching the forum for info on how to get the audio working.

There is, in fact, a special Pup designed for the eBox.

But I think it's your mind
Springer

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul 2007, 11:14    Post subject:  

Dougal: Thanks for the pfix tip. Didn't know about that one, which is useful, because I want the box to come up without starting X in the first place.

Pakt has an eBox version of Puppy, but it was last built nearly two years ago on 2.13 and seems to have some performance problems. Also, I'm going to want the better modem handling of the newer Puppies for my application.
raffy

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul 2007, 16:18    Post subject: tempestuous  

Tempestuous was so kind in working on the audio of the ebox2300:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=84677#84677

Dougal

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul 2007, 18:54    Post subject:  

Springer wrote:
Pakt has an eBox version of Puppy, but it was last built nearly two years ago on 2.13 and seems to have some performance problems.

Two years ago? 2.10 was only released last October...

But I think it's your mind
pakt

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jul 2007, 03:56    Post subject:  

Springer wrote:
Pakt has an eBox version of Puppy, but it was last built nearly two years ago on 2.13 and seems to have some performance problems.

I released eBoxPup-2.13-0.1 in January of this year. It is based on Puppy 2.13 but with the performance-hungry apps replaced with 'lighter' ones and other improvements to make it run faster on the eBox-2300. See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14719 for details. When you say it has 'performance problems', I certainly don't know what you're talking about. It runs quite well on the eBox-2300. Audio and video work out-of-the-box if you remember to include zdrv_213.sfs on the CF card.

Springer

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul 2007, 00:44    Post subject:  

Dougal: Obviously, I was wrong about the date - not sure where I got that now, but I thought it was right when I wrote it, even though it obviously doesn't pass the sniff test, as you noted. Dain Bramage, I guess...

Pakt: Thanks for the info. The performance problems I alluded to were based on comments here in the forum - Because of those complaints, I didn't even try your version - I'm certainly sorry if I created a bad impression - I was admittedly responding to forum hearsay.

I'll check on the zdrv_213.sfs file when I try your version. I installed Barry's plain-vanilla 2.16, and audio "works", but with unusably low volume levels no matter how you crank the output. With everything turned all the way up, you can just barely make out the sounds dribbling from the speakers. Fortunately audio isn't critical for this application, but it would be really nice to have it for user notification of successful startup, app status, and shutdown.
pakt

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul 2007, 05:11    Post subject:  

Springer wrote:
I installed Barry's plain-vanilla 2.16, and audio "works", but with unusably low volume levels no matter how you crank the output. With everything turned all the way up, you can just barely make out the sounds dribbling from the speakers.

You could try fiddling with the mixer app in the menu - might give you more control over the volume.

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: