ADSL modem advice

Using applications, configuring, problems
hushpuppy

ADSL modem advice

#1 Post by hushpuppy »

A friend has a busted windows installation (who doesnt) and ive configured puppy for her, but there are no drivers available in puppy for her adsl modem (a sagem). I think she also has an alcatel speedtouch, but despite me telling her to "bring everything", she left most of the ancilliaries at home.

I know there are drivers for the speedtouch, and the sagem we think could be faulty, but can anyone recommend a (cheap) replacement that basically works out of the box with puppy.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Are these internal (PCI card) ADSL modems, or external modems which attach to the computer via ethernet? If the latter, you should have to do nothing in order to connect, except run the "connect" icon after booting Puppy.

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

Most likely, the Alcatel and Sagem are those miserable little 'free' USB ADSL modems that the ISP s send out upon registration. Unusually(!) everybody on this Forum agrees that you should put them in the dustbin, although there may have been some progress in getting them to work under Linux. They are truly worthless.
You need a network port connected device and unless you have a subscription with one of the more expensive providers, they don't come 'free'. Good surplus stock devices are always being sold by Ebuyer for about thirty quid plus VAT & carriage; read the reviews they publish alongside their products. Single modems can be had for about half that cost occasionally, but get the combined router, wireless, 4-port unit, even if you don't use the wireless section.
Setting up any of these in Puppy, whether you have DHCP or Static IP (you MUST ask your ISP for the details, settings, etc), is a doddle, but you'll sweat blood with 'doze. You will also need to learn how to put your ISP and network card settings into the modem 'config' (control EEPROM); that should give you a couple of sleepless nights if you haven't done it before. Dynamic Host Control Protocol is easier and seems to be ubiquitous in the USA - damn Yankies! - Static is better, but gives more grief initially. You don't get any choice - it's what your ISP awards you. However, the Web is awash with guidance on this subject for every conceivable modem and system. If you buy from Ebuyer, the reviewers usually tell you all you need to know and a lot more besides.
Always best to do the setup onsite with everything connected. Nice entree` if your friend is a lady...............
Last edited by Sage on Wed 11 Jul 2007, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.

John Doe

#4 Post by John Doe »

...the only thing you missed was blaming the US.

hushpuppy

#5 Post by hushpuppy »

To Flash - Sorry, I should have been more specific, currently shes got two modems supplied by her ISP (changed ISP's), both are USB models.

She has no network card.

To Sage - Again sorry i should have been more specific.

Youre spot on about the "free" modems, i have had ADSL for years, and even wrote a small howto on getting the green speedtouch working under Linux (Redhat 6 or 7 maybe), then i used it with smoothwall for a couple of years (this is before wireless was readily available/affordable).

I was hoping there was some "common" usb model (now) available that works out of the box with Linux, she cant afford anything around the 70 quid mark (and there's extra expense for nic or wireless usb pen). I didnt know about Ebuyer ill look into that thanks .

As for "Always best to do the setup onsite with everything connected. Nice entree` if your friend is a lady..............."

My wife will be with me :(, seriously were just good friends............. but she does rub her body against me occasionally, and rubs her fingers through my hair.

(She's my hairdresser :) ) .

Sadly she will be doing this less and less frequently, as the hair is receeding rapidly.

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

Sounds as if you've got your feet well under the table, already, HP. I saw a raw (one port) ADSL modem for less than twenty last week. Can pick up a hub for less than a tenner. As the Army will tell you, hard-wired (wire-guided) missiles are utterly secure, as with cat5 cabling.
In the hair dept., I passed that stage several years back....

John Doe

#7 Post by John Doe »

Sage wrote:In the hair dept....
all the best to everyone...

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.bald ... a8f999d97c

Sage

#8 Post by Sage »

Edited my epistle, JD, to conform with my perceived image.....

HP - contact me and I'll send you a NIC.

John Doe

#9 Post by John Doe »

Sage wrote:Edited my epistle, JD, to conform with my perceived image......
you make me chuckle...

best wishes!

Sage

#10 Post by Sage »

Thanks for that, JD - always glad to raiser a titter. Not everyone has the humour gene, though. I think we've done that a couple of times, here?

John Doe

#11 Post by John Doe »

Sage wrote:Thanks for that, JD - always glad to raiser a titter. Not everyone has the humour gene, though. I think we've done that a couple of times, here?
yes.agreed.yes.

have a good lunch. must rest...

tahaselim

zoom

#12 Post by tahaselim »

what about Zoom?

it is not more than 30 bucks , or somewhere around this and you don't need to configure anything.

it is "boot and surf baby" kind of device.

Taha Selim

Sage

#13 Post by Sage »

They all say that on the box, but some of us know the truth.

tahaselim

#14 Post by tahaselim »

Sage wrote:They all say that on the box, but some of us know the truth.
But this time I mean it, cause I use one. 8)

Taha Selim

steevieb

#15 Post by steevieb »

Try http://www.freecycle.org/ and go to your country flag down the left hand side
(UK, France and Germany) if you're not in the USA
I got an adsl modem and there are often older computers. It is amazing what is given away.

John Doe

#16 Post by John Doe »

steevieb wrote:...if you're not in the USA...
how neat, had never even heard of it.

they don't have US on that first page but I did notice it further in:

http://freecycle.org/display.php?region=US%20Northeast

the other regions are in the nav at the top.

there are 2007 members in my county already.

ecomoney

Drivers

#17 Post by ecomoney »

Ive had a bit of experience with these "miserable" free modems, they say they are linux compatible but, from what Ive heard, they will only allow distribution via their own website, making it very difficult to package drivers for each distribution. I wrote to tiscali last week about a client with one, as a company with this "lets empower people through the internet" philosophy should allow people to use open source as part of that empowerment.

Unfornutetly, Ive not found a solution to this problem yet, what I usually get people to do is to fork out £30 for an adsl router modem (many want wireless anyway nowadays). If they are out of their 12 month contract then I get them to switch to using NTL/Virgin Broadband who do supply a dual ethernet/usb modem. Although you have to register the connection manually through firefox it is done fairly simply (they state on the technical support lines that they do not support Linux, even when they do!!!) and doesnt require the cd.

Would love to know if anyone does get these drivers working as it would solve a lot of problems for me too.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

Sage

#18 Post by Sage »

Not worth pursuing, eco. I asked Tiscali if their system was Linux-compliant. They gave me an emphatic 'No!', but they lied. These cheaper ISPs either don't have competent technical staff or they are being subsidised by the evil one. Probably both! You will find that all the single port ADSL network modems (Ebuyer, AUTdirect?) costing around £20incl VAT work just fine with Tiscali. You don't need the more expensive wireless-router variety - a wired hub is cheaper and more secure; furthermore, it requires no additional drivers or settings.
Notwithstanding, I seem to remember a posting within these pages that describes all the settings and procedures to get these USB devices running, albeit including some modifications to the driver files.
The advantage of Tiscali is that you get a Static IP (Americans, we are told, pay a premium for this!). The implication is that, in principle anything will work (except these Liveboxes that I am trying to give away!)