Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 20:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
ADSL modem advice
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
hushpuppy

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul 2007, 19:07    Post_subject:  ADSL modem advice
Sub_title: whats the easiest to install.

A friend has a busted windows installation (who doesnt) and ive configured puppy for her, but there are no drivers available in puppy for her adsl modem (a sagem). I think she also has an alcatel speedtouch, but despite me telling her to "bring everything", she left most of the ancilliaries at home.

I know there are drivers for the speedtouch, and the sagem we think could be faulty, but can anyone recommend a (cheap) replacement that basically works out of the box with puppy.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul 2007, 23:19    Post_subject:  

Are these internal (PCI card) ADSL modems, or external modems which attach to the computer via ethernet? If the latter, you should have to do nothing in order to connect, except run the "connect" icon after booting Puppy.
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2007, 02:34    Post_subject:  

Most likely, the Alcatel and Sagem are those miserable little 'free' USB ADSL modems that the ISP s send out upon registration. Unusually(!) everybody on this Forum agrees that you should put them in the dustbin, although there may have been some progress in getting them to work under Linux. They are truly worthless.
You need a network port connected device and unless you have a subscription with one of the more expensive providers, they don't come 'free'. Good surplus stock devices are always being sold by Ebuyer for about thirty quid plus VAT & carriage; read the reviews they publish alongside their products. Single modems can be had for about half that cost occasionally, but get the combined router, wireless, 4-port unit, even if you don't use the wireless section.
Setting up any of these in Puppy, whether you have DHCP or Static IP (you MUST ask your ISP for the details, settings, etc), is a doddle, but you'll sweat blood with 'doze. You will also need to learn how to put your ISP and network card settings into the modem 'config' (control EEPROM); that should give you a couple of sleepless nights if you haven't done it before. Dynamic Host Control Protocol is easier and seems to be ubiquitous in the USA - damn Yankies! - Static is better, but gives more grief initially. You don't get any choice - it's what your ISP awards you. However, the Web is awash with guidance on this subject for every conceivable modem and system. If you buy from Ebuyer, the reviewers usually tell you all you need to know and a lot more besides.
Always best to do the setup onsite with everything connected. Nice entree` if your friend is a lady...............

Edited_time_total
John Doe

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2007, 02:54    Post_subject:  

...the only thing you missed was blaming the US.
hushpuppy

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2007, 03:07    Post_subject:  

To Flash - Sorry, I should have been more specific, currently shes got two modems supplied by her ISP (changed ISP's), both are USB models.

She has no network card.

To Sage - Again sorry i should have been more specific.

Youre spot on about the "free" modems, i have had ADSL for years, and even wrote a small howto on getting the green speedtouch working under Linux (Redhat 6 or 7 maybe), then i used it with smoothwall for a couple of years (this is before wireless was readily available/affordable).

I was hoping there was some "common" usb model (now) available that works out of the box with Linux, she cant afford anything around the 70 quid mark (and there's extra expense for nic or wireless usb pen). I didnt know about Ebuyer ill look into that thanks .

As for "Always best to do the setup onsite with everything connected. Nice entree` if your friend is a lady..............."

My wife will be with me Sad, seriously were just good friends............. but she does rub her body against me occasionally, and rubs her fingers through my hair.

(She's my hairdresser Smile ) .

Sadly she will be doing this less and less frequently, as the hair is receeding rapidly.
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2007, 03:35    Post_subject:  

Sounds as if you've got your feet well under the table, already, HP. I saw a raw (one port) ADSL modem for less than twenty last week. Can pick up a hub for less than a tenner. As the Army will tell you, hard-wired (wire-guided) missiles are utterly secure, as with cat5 cabling.
In the hair dept., I passed that stage several years back....
John Doe

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2007, 03:39    Post_subject:  

Sage wrote:
In the hair dept....

all the best to everyone...

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.baldspot/browse_thread/thread/eb2050825f390a2c/1d1339a8f999d97c?lnk=gst&q=knowledgebot&rnum=4#1d1339a8f999d97c
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2007, 03:41    Post_subject:  

Edited my epistle, JD, to conform with my perceived image.....

HP - contact me and I'll send you a NIC.
John Doe

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2007, 03:51    Post_subject:  

Sage wrote:
Edited my epistle, JD, to conform with my perceived image......

you make me chuckle...

best wishes!
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2007, 04:38    Post_subject:  

Thanks for that, JD - always glad to raiser a titter. Not everyone has the humour gene, though. I think we've done that a couple of times, here?
John Doe

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2007, 04:51    Post_subject:  

Sage wrote:
Thanks for that, JD - always glad to raiser a titter. Not everyone has the humour gene, though. I think we've done that a couple of times, here?

yes.agreed.yes.

have a good lunch. must rest...
tahaselim

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2007, 06:34    Post_subject: zoom  

what about Zoom?

it is not more than 30 bucks , or somewhere around this and you don't need to configure anything.

it is "boot and surf baby" kind of device.

Taha Selim
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2007, 08:06    Post_subject:  

They all say that on the box, but some of us know the truth.
tahaselim

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2007, 10:10    Post_subject:  

Sage wrote:
They all say that on the box, but some of us know the truth.

But this time I mean it, cause I use one. Cool

Taha Selim
steevieb

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2007, 17:12    Post_subject:  

Try http://www.freecycle.org/ and go to your country flag down the left hand side
(UK, France and Germany) if you're not in the USA
I got an adsl modem and there are often older computers. It is amazing what is given away.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum