Puppy 2.17alpha available

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: modifing SFS

#61 Post by BarryK »

Ted Dog wrote:I rebuilt the sfs file but could not find the mksquash-lzma. nor command line settings to set or not set the lzma option.
On my slowest machine the LZMA caused a hard to live with slowdown.
Also after changing the default background it was overwritten with the wolf wolf new one, have not run into that before. Also on a disk with swap it does not correctly find the SFS on the parts after swap (in my setups swap is between two ext3 partitions. swap on/off changes logic flow somehow.
Also off topic, how can I make a DOTpet I've lost the orginal reference page.
something like this:

some command before...
make install
some command after
result is DOTpet

Thanks, dusting off old printers for a try. Ted
There is now only one mksquashfs executable. I would have to check, but from memory, I think the '-nolzma' option is required.

The PET page: http://www.puppylinux.com/development/createpet.htm

BarryK
Puppy Master

#62 Post by BarryK »

Q wrote:Since no one else reported it as a bug i guess it must be my TPA22e ( lucent\agere modem)
for the first time since using puppy linux it froze when using any dial up program .the mouse froze KB froze and it was like i was using windowz :P no othe choice but to do hard shutdown just like windowz (minus the blue screen of death........ yet).

wish i could know what caused this ??!!
It may be the bug /etc/wvdial.conf gets created with line:
Modem = ttyLT0
(or whatever device name)
but it should be:
Modem = /dev/ttyLT0

Anybody who wants to test their modem will have to examine /etc/wvdial.conf and fix this.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#63 Post by BarryK »

Henry wrote:I used Yankee Clipper in windows for about ten years it seems, and badly missed having a non-volatile clipboard stacker in Puppy. Was highly pleased when Glipper was introduced. Now it has been removed :-(

Since I do not use Seamonkey or Composer, which I understand it interferes with (I use Opera and Bluefish), I have installed Glipper but would like it to autorun. What's the simple way to do this?

Henry
Well, I could put it back in, with a little GUI app in the menu to activate or deactivate it. It could be started immediately without having to restart the window manager.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#64 Post by BarryK »

jeffrey wrote:OK, Barry, I checked the issue with spaces in the init strings and they do work. The problem was actually that I tried pasting my gkdial init strings (of which there are 3) into your pupdial init strings (of which there are only 2). This seems to overflow your string area. I suggest that you try pasting these strings in and see what actually gets saved. I found that pupdial truncated the strings until I shuffled them around a bit.
It's working now thanks...
AT&F1E0Q0V1&C1&D2S0=0
ATS7=60S19=0L0M1&M4&K1&H1&R2&I0B0X4
ATB0&G2&P1S0=0X2S27=48
Yes, I do recall a init string has a low maximum length ...not sure, maybe 48 characters.

Problem, pupdial will reconstruct wvdial.conf at exit, and you lose the 'init3' string. I could make it so that line will get preserved.

Getnikar

#65 Post by Getnikar »

BarryK wrote:
Henry wrote:... Seamonkey or Composer, which I understand it interferes with ...
Well, I could put it back in, with a little GUI app in the menu to activate or deactivate it. It could be started immediately without having to restart the window manager.
That would be great. I am using both Seamonkey and Composer a lot this week, and Glipper is still working fine, so there does not seem to be any problem there.

PaulBx1

#66 Post by PaulBx1 »

It errors with some message about /dev/loop1.
kirk, how do you see this message? I didn't see anything.

What is the message? Could it be the loop1 device has already been used? Guess not, it doesn't look like the script has changed that much.

Also you said you used aes, cryptoloop and losetup from the initrd to try opening a pupsave manually. Which losetup did you use? I notice in 2.16 the /initrd/bin/losetup is 22k, while the /initrd/pup_ro2/bin/losetup (via a symbolic link to losetup-FULL) is 11k. Which is run during boot?

I notice there is no error check for losetup; it only gets checked after the mount. The re-asking for the password is keyed off the success of the mount, so the password may actually be correct and there is some other problem with the losetup or mount that is causing the problem.
Last edited by PaulBx1 on Wed 11 Jul 2007, 17:35, edited 4 times in total.

Q

#67 Post by Q »

BarryK wrote:
Q wrote:Since no one else reported it as a bug i guess it must be my TPA22e ( lucent\agere modem)
for the first time since using puppy linux it froze when using any dial up program .the mouse froze KB froze and it was like i was using windowz :P no othe choice but to do hard shutdown just like windowz (minus the blue screen of death........ yet).

wish i could know what caused this ??!!
It may be the bug /etc/wvdial.conf gets created with line:
Modem = ttyLT0
(or whatever device name)
but it should be:
Modem = /dev/ttyLT0

Anybody who wants to test their modem will have to examine /etc/wvdial.conf and fix this.
BINGO, Thanks Boss.

mmm

#68 Post by mmm »

Dear Group,

I downloaded 2.17alpha last night and booted up with "puppy pfix=ram" today. All proceeded normally up to this point in the start up,

creating unionfs on (/initrd)/pup_new (to become '/')... done

and then the booting process just stops.

I waited for a good five minutes. I then removed the CD and turned the computer off.

I had the same exact problem with 2.17-experiment1. I tried 2.17-experiment1 on a newish Compaq Presario as well, with the same problem.

The md5sum files for both 2.17s were OK. I thought it might be a bad CD or my burner so I reburnt Puppy 2.16.1 to the same CD-RW and it worked as normal.

I burnt the ISO to another CD and the above problem still existed.

I haven't had this problem with Puppy before, am I missing something? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd really like to be able to test this Puppy as I'd like to be able to contribute. I can test it on two VAIOs, one Compaq and a Toshiba notebooks.

Cheers,

mmm

Puppy 2.16.1 Live CD, 512 Mb pup_save file on a VAIO PCG-720.

Wolf Pup

#69 Post by Wolf Pup »

Changing /etc/wvdial.conf to

Code: Select all

Modem = /dev/ttyLT0
before starting pupdial, didnt work computer still froze.

Puppy detected my rt2570 wifi adapter and loaded the module, no rt73 loaded. Strangely, when trying to pickup a wifi network, 2.17a has a hard time picking up the signal, but when going back to 2.16 it finds the signal easily.

When choosing country code, the clock is always 1 hour behind?
Last edited by Wolf Pup on Thu 12 Jul 2007, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

alphasurfer

#70 Post by alphasurfer »

Barry I must say great work on puppy. I think I might have missed something maybe it was solved or mentioned in the past. I only used my usb flash drive which is a U3 device in this puppy 217 alpha, I will test it in 2.16 later tonight or tomorrow morning. I noticed that it will not detect in puppy linux. Not in MUT or pmount. It only detects it so i can mount it when I reboot my computer with the puppy cd in the cd/dvd drive and the flash drive plugged into my usb drive. I always run puppy from the live cd. Ive used other usb flash drives in previous puppy versions with no troubles and without having to reboot with the drive plugged in. Sorry for my rambling I just wanted to make sure to mention this. I don't have any other flash drives to test on this alpha version since I gave my other ones away. Thanks for the great work.
Alphasurfer

BarryK
Puppy Master

#71 Post by BarryK »

Getnikar wrote:
BarryK wrote:
Henry wrote:... Seamonkey or Composer, which I understand it interferes with ...
That would be great. I am using both Seamonkey and Composer a lot this week, and Glipper is still working fine, so there does not seem to be any problem there.
Okay, Glipper is back, with a little GUI on/off manager in the 'Desktop' menu.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#72 Post by BarryK »

Wolf Pup wrote:Changing /etc/wvdial.conf to

Code: Select all

Modem = /dev/ttyLT0
before starting pupdial, didnt work computer still froze.

Puppy detected my rt2570 wifi adapter and loaded the module, no rt73 loaded. Strangely, when trying to pickup a wifi network, 2.17a has a hard time picking up the signal, but when going back to 2.16 it finds the signal easily.

When choosing country code, the clock is always 1 hour behind?
Perhaps there's some kind of weird interaction with the wifi driver. You could try:
# rmmod rt2570
then fix wvdial.conf,
then try pupdial.

PaulBx1

#73 Post by PaulBx1 »

I have reproduced kirk's experiment with using 217 losetup after the boot (either version) on the pup_save. It works.

I wonder if aes and cryptoloop are not being loaded during boot for some reason? Grasping at straws here...

I noticed losetup reports success even if you use the wrong encryption on a pupsave, so testing for losetup success probably wouldn't help anything.

kirk

#74 Post by kirk »

More encryption problem info:

The error losetup kicks out is "no such file or directory". Mount then complains about /dev/loop1. I did check, cryptoloop and aes are loaded. Had the init script do a ls $SMNTPT and echoed $SMNTPT and $SAVEFILE after it tries to mount the encrypted pup_save. All looks good. Tried /dev/loop6, no help.

jeffrey

#75 Post by jeffrey »

By the way all keyboards that I've used in New Zealand are US format, so it would help if rc.country (I think that's the name of the script) could have the "x" changed to "us" for country 60 New Zealand.
Thanks. That's an impressive effort doing everything in a single selection.

Wolf Pup

#76 Post by Wolf Pup »

BarryK wrote:Perhaps there's some kind of weird interaction with the wifi driver. You could try:
# rmmod rt2570
then fix wvdial.conf,
then try pupdial.
dialup still doesn't work.
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

PaulBx1

#77 Post by PaulBx1 »

On the encryption:

Here's a fellow who got the same error in the 2.6.19 kernel when he compiled without turning on CONFIG_CRYPTO_CBC.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/11/29/302

Was that turned on with the new kernel we have in Puppy 2.17?

John Doe

#78 Post by John Doe »

PaulBx1 wrote:Was that turned on with the new kernel we have in Puppy 2.17?
looks like it was:

CONFIG_CRYPTO_CBC=m

http://puptrix.org/sources/kernel-2.6.2 ... N07-9.20pm

John Doe

#79 Post by John Doe »

does it need modprobed manually now?

perhaps a result of those "politics" discussed in that one thread long ago.

and this statement:
> Shouldn't cryptoloop automatically select CONFIG_CRYPTO_CBC if it depends on it?
just a weird thought....

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#80 Post by Lobster »

The clock is displaying one hour earlier than it should. OK changed it from menu but it is one hour back again (after computer turn off - so could be a battery fault).

I vaguely remember this happening a long time ago but need confimation from other users before can label as bug . . . ah yes the trick was to set the time zone but Puppy has been doing this (from the keyboard choice I guess)
Might be to do with UK summertime? Was OK in 2.16.

Anyone else get this?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D