Puppy 2.17alpha available

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

#46 Post by BarryK »

jeffrey wrote:The serial modem was detected fine on ttyS0 with /dev/modem linked to ttyS0. I got PupDial to work once I figured out that the modem command string needs a space between each individual command unlike gtkdial which doesn't have spaces embedded in the string. Nice GUI but I like the way that gtkdial stays present so that I can disconnect the modem. Perhaps your PupDial has the same feature and I just missed it. Ideally one would use a right mouse click on blinky to perform the disconnection. And an active/disabled firewall icon in the system tray would be great too, but those can be new features for a future release.
Spaces are not supposed to make any difference, at least, that's my understanding. I have used PupDial without any spaces in the init2 string, worked fine. Can you recheck that?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#47 Post by BarryK »

Jesse wrote:Hi Barry,

I also have the boot time problem at the "select your country" dialog.
I scroll down to NZ, option 60, and press enter once and it looks like the selection gets accepted, but nothing happens till I press enter for a second time.

If I choose Australia-west, I only need to press enter once and it continues loading.

I am booting on a computer that only has a cd/dvd drive, no hard disks in it at the moment.

Is it concieveable that hardware detection can indicate presence of a modem (in as-good-as all boot-time cases), so as to know if to ask for a country name?

Is it a good/bad idea to make an assumption about keyboard layout based on the keyboard id string, e.g. is "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" always a us-keyboard layout?

I notice puppyserialdetect is run after the choose country screen, if you use my edition 1.1g, with -ke option and save the output, you'll have easy access to the keyboard string.

Jesse
Jesse, ah ha, your test comparing australia-west is the hint I need to fix that one!

If a modem is detected, the country that you chose in the dialog will be applied to it -- each modem is different though, so it happens in different ways. Some modems only support a subset of the countries.

If we an automatically detect a US keyboard, that will be great. Currently, if you choose say Germany, then the German locale and keyboard are applied. However, US personell working in Germany might not be too happy with that! So, by detecting the US keyboard, we can pop up an extra question, "you can chosen a German locale but probe indicates US keyboard, do you want to choose German or US keyboard?: ".

Getnikar

#48 Post by Getnikar »

BarryK wrote:Regarding lost clipboard info, I think it was Glipper that kept it persistent, but I had to get rid of Glipper.
Barry,

I am finding Glipper extremely useful in 2.16. Will there be an equivalent in 2.18?

Jesse

#49 Post by Jesse »

Hmm, perhaps we can take a lesson from the windows installer on this one.
It does as much auto-detection as possible, then presents a one page confirmation showing the choices, so with a country selection there could be as many auto selected options as:
timezone,
keyboard layout,
modem country settings,
puppy language (if puppy gets that far, menu/desktop icon names in that language). Perhaps with a kernel boot option puppy-language=x to set a default to be able to "regionize" an iso.

Such that if you're not using a modem, not connecting to the net, not using keyboard for typing, and not worried about those settings. You can just hit enter once to accept all those detected defaults and get into puppy to play "Tkmines minesweeper" :)

I think if you ask too many questions at boot up, it'll delay it too much for people to be keen to use it.
Just my 2c for the moment :)

Jesse

zygo

#50 Post by zygo »

Barry,
I have not had a hd connected while 2.17 was booting. Only files on the CD were (and are) accessible between power on and the desktop showing.

Straight after boot wvdial.conf has 'Modem = ttyS0' but I got the 'no modem found' error when using wvdial from the command line. Usng pupdial always seems to correct this fault -- ie the path is in the string after pupdial closes.

I find that I can connect with 'Baud = 57600' but ppp never starts (according to xnetload) and I get an error about ppp dying error code 16. It seems I need 'Baud = 115200' which is set after the scan button is clicked. In init string 2; spaces seem to be irrelevant and I can even apend M0 for squak-free dialup.

Help refers to cutecom but wouldn't the already installed picocom do the job?

Furthermore:
I have a usb numeric pad connected as well as a ps2 full (en-GB) keyboard. I can select (uk) from the locale menu at boot using either using page_down and down keys.

Also my usb-controlled fm radio has a module loaded by the kernel acording to PupScan:
Manufacturer=GemTek Corp
Product=USB FM Radio
VendorID=04b4 ProductID=1002 KERNEL-MODULE=dsbr100
It seems from an internet search that only an xmms plugin called fmradio supports it. There has been a /usr/local/bin/fmradioshell script in puppy for a while -- it checks for the videodev module then runs fmradio. But there doesn't seem to be a current pet version of xmms.

I wish you'd keep dillo in. For help pages; not being able to copy is a pain but it is tiny.

kirk

#51 Post by kirk »

kirk,
could you run
# lspci -m -n
Yes, I have given rt73 first-go at loading. Need to find out the exceptions to load rt2570 instead.
Posted this last night, must not have taken. Anyway, after booting 217a with a rt2570 plugged in (rt73 driver loaded):

# lspci -m -n
00:00.0 "Class 0600" "8086" "2590" -r03 "2590" "0182"
00:01.0 "Class 0604" "8086" "2591" -r03 "" ""
00:1c.0 "Class 0604" "8086" "2660" -r03 "" ""
00:1d.0 "Class 0c03" "8086" "2658" -r03 "2658" "0182"
00:1d.1 "Class 0c03" "8086" "2659" -r03 "2659" "0182"
00:1d.2 "Class 0c03" "8086" "265a" -r03 "265a" "0182"
00:1d.3 "Class 0c03" "8086" "265b" -r03 "265b" "0182"
00:1d.7 "Class 0c03" "8086" "265c" -r03 -p20 "265c" "0182"
00:1e.0 "Class 0604" "8086" "2448" -rd3 -p01 "" ""
00:1e.2 "Class 0401" "8086" "266e" -r03 "266e" "0182"
00:1e.3 "Class 0703" "8086" "266d" -r03 "266d" "5423"
00:1f.0 "Class 0601" "8086" "2641" -r03 "2641" "0182"
00:1f.2 "Class 0101" "8086" "2653" -r03 -p80 "2653" "0182"
01:00.0 "Class 0300" "1002" "5460" "5460" "2006"
02:00.0 "Class 0200" "14e4" "1677" -r01 "1677" "0182"
03:01.0 "Class 0607" "104c" "8036" "8036" "0182"
03:01.5 "Class 0780" "104c" "8038" "8038" "0182"
03:03.0 "Class 0280" "8086" "4220" -r05 "4220" "2721"
#
I have no idea what to do about the bcm43xx module. Use Ndiswrapper :)
Not that desperate yet! :lol: If I can get some time with my wife's laptop (computer) I'll see what I can figure out.

As far as encrypted pup_saves, It's broke and I don't know why. I made a new encrypted pup_save in 217a. Won't take the password on reboot. Looks like a losetup problem. It errors with some message about /dev/loop1. But if I boot up a regular pup_save, I can mount the encrypted pup_save from command line, even with using the cryptoloop module, aes module, and losetup from the 217 initrd. I didn't see any changes between the 2.16 and 2.17 init script in the crypto area.

Keep up the good work Barry!

Ted Dog

modifing SFS

#52 Post by Ted Dog »

I rebuilt the sfs file but could not find the mksquash-lzma. nor command line settings to set or not set the lzma option.
On my slowest machine the LZMA caused a hard to live with slowdown.
Also after changing the default background it was overwritten with the wolf wolf new one, have not run into that before. Also on a disk with swap it does not correctly find the SFS on the parts after swap (in my setups swap is between two ext3 partitions. swap on/off changes logic flow somehow.
Also off topic, how can I make a DOTpet I've lost the orginal reference page.
something like this:

some command before...
make install
some command after
result is DOTpet

Thanks, dusting off old printers for a try. Ted

John Doe

Re: modifing SFS

#53 Post by John Doe »

Ted Dog wrote:...how can I make a DOTpet I've lost the orginal reference page. ...
There are different ways to do it. Notes are a bit garbled. I tried to clean up the explaination a bit.

Compiling Applications
./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i486-pc-linux-gnu
make CFLAGS="-march=i486" CXXFLAGS="-march=i486"
make install
#or for alien package (or pet)
mkdir /myapp-1.0.0
make install DESTDIR=/myapp-1.0.0
cd /
tar -zcf myapp-1.0.0.tar.gz myapp-1.0.0
#for PET Package, then do:
tgz2pet myapp-1.0.0.tar.gz

Create and Working with PETget
tgz2pet YourPackage.tar.gz
pup2pet YourPup.pup
pet2tgz YourPet.pet
dir2pet YourDir

taken from here at the bottom
http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/ShellScriptsExamples

PaulBx1

#54 Post by PaulBx1 »

But if I boot up a regular pup_save, I can mount the encrypted pup_save from command line, even with using the cryptoloop module, aes module, and losetup from the 217 initrd. I didn't see any changes between the 2.16 and 2.17 init script in the crypto area.
Weird! I think you are right, it is something with losetup. I think the pup_saves are OK, since this same thing happened with my 2.16.1 pup_save that I have been using for a while.

The only other thing I can think of is the keyboard map being screwed up, such that the password comes out different when typed in during boot than it is while running. This might explain some other problems too.

I tried creating a pup_save with a very simple password, "aaaaaaaaaa" and it still had problems with that too.

kirk

#55 Post by kirk »

I checked the keyboard too. Added a read line to init. It's ok.

Henry

#56 Post by Henry »

I used Yankee Clipper in windows for about ten years it seems, and badly missed having a non-volatile clipboard stacker in Puppy. Was highly pleased when Glipper was introduced. Now it has been removed :-(

Since I do not use Seamonkey or Composer, which I understand it interferes with (I use Opera and Bluefish), I have installed Glipper but would like it to autorun. What's the simple way to do this?

Henry

Q

#57 Post by Q »

Since no one else reported it as a bug i guess it must be my TPA22e ( lucent\agere modem)
for the first time since using puppy linux it froze when using any dial up program .the mouse froze KB froze and it was like i was using windowz :P no othe choice but to do hard shutdown just like windowz (minus the blue screen of death........ yet).

wish i could know what caused this ??!!

jeffrey

#58 Post by jeffrey »

OK, Barry, I checked the issue with spaces in the init strings and they do work. The problem was actually that I tried pasting my gkdial init strings (of which there are 3) into your pupdial init strings (of which there are only 2). This seems to overflow your string area. I suggest that you try pasting these strings in and see what actually gets saved. I found that pupdial truncated the strings until I shuffled them around a bit.
It's working now thanks...
AT&F1E0Q0V1&C1&D2S0=0
ATS7=60S19=0L0M1&M4&K1&H1&R2&I0B0X4
ATB0&G2&P1S0=0X2S27=48

Greatnessguru

WebDAV Linux File System (davfs2), please?

#59 Post by Greatnessguru »

Barry,

Could Puppy 2.17 include this, please, all preinstalled, configured and ready-to-use?
Perhaps as a PET if need be?

WebDAV Linux File System (davfs2)
http://dav.sourceforge.net/

WEB-DAV Linux File System(davfs)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dav/

# Version 1.2.2 released 2007-07-07

Thank you,
Eddie

gray

2.17a

#60 Post by gray »

Okay, finally managed some free time to test 2.17a.
Initial impression : pretty good, seemed to load quicker and most things work OK. CUPs works great on my epson cx3900. Xorg fails on my nvidia 7600gs, but xvesa is fine. Strangely Xorg works fine on the machine I tried 2.17a with at work using a 7900gtx graphics card. Tried to install nvidia drivers (which fixed xorg on the 7600 in the past) but they dont seem to work on this release - must be the kernel change, probably need to recompile. Wireless (acx100) worked great, including Linneighbourhood.
Only issues I have are trivial cosmetic ones ;-
Hate the 'background' welcome.
Volume is set to zero as default.
Black text on purple background in the printer wizard is dreadful.
Re-mastering is HUGELY SLOW.

For an alpha release this is great.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: modifing SFS

#61 Post by BarryK »

Ted Dog wrote:I rebuilt the sfs file but could not find the mksquash-lzma. nor command line settings to set or not set the lzma option.
On my slowest machine the LZMA caused a hard to live with slowdown.
Also after changing the default background it was overwritten with the wolf wolf new one, have not run into that before. Also on a disk with swap it does not correctly find the SFS on the parts after swap (in my setups swap is between two ext3 partitions. swap on/off changes logic flow somehow.
Also off topic, how can I make a DOTpet I've lost the orginal reference page.
something like this:

some command before...
make install
some command after
result is DOTpet

Thanks, dusting off old printers for a try. Ted
There is now only one mksquashfs executable. I would have to check, but from memory, I think the '-nolzma' option is required.

The PET page: http://www.puppylinux.com/development/createpet.htm

BarryK
Puppy Master

#62 Post by BarryK »

Q wrote:Since no one else reported it as a bug i guess it must be my TPA22e ( lucent\agere modem)
for the first time since using puppy linux it froze when using any dial up program .the mouse froze KB froze and it was like i was using windowz :P no othe choice but to do hard shutdown just like windowz (minus the blue screen of death........ yet).

wish i could know what caused this ??!!
It may be the bug /etc/wvdial.conf gets created with line:
Modem = ttyLT0
(or whatever device name)
but it should be:
Modem = /dev/ttyLT0

Anybody who wants to test their modem will have to examine /etc/wvdial.conf and fix this.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#63 Post by BarryK »

Henry wrote:I used Yankee Clipper in windows for about ten years it seems, and badly missed having a non-volatile clipboard stacker in Puppy. Was highly pleased when Glipper was introduced. Now it has been removed :-(

Since I do not use Seamonkey or Composer, which I understand it interferes with (I use Opera and Bluefish), I have installed Glipper but would like it to autorun. What's the simple way to do this?

Henry
Well, I could put it back in, with a little GUI app in the menu to activate or deactivate it. It could be started immediately without having to restart the window manager.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#64 Post by BarryK »

jeffrey wrote:OK, Barry, I checked the issue with spaces in the init strings and they do work. The problem was actually that I tried pasting my gkdial init strings (of which there are 3) into your pupdial init strings (of which there are only 2). This seems to overflow your string area. I suggest that you try pasting these strings in and see what actually gets saved. I found that pupdial truncated the strings until I shuffled them around a bit.
It's working now thanks...
AT&F1E0Q0V1&C1&D2S0=0
ATS7=60S19=0L0M1&M4&K1&H1&R2&I0B0X4
ATB0&G2&P1S0=0X2S27=48
Yes, I do recall a init string has a low maximum length ...not sure, maybe 48 characters.

Problem, pupdial will reconstruct wvdial.conf at exit, and you lose the 'init3' string. I could make it so that line will get preserved.

Getnikar

#65 Post by Getnikar »

BarryK wrote:
Henry wrote:... Seamonkey or Composer, which I understand it interferes with ...
Well, I could put it back in, with a little GUI app in the menu to activate or deactivate it. It could be started immediately without having to restart the window manager.
That would be great. I am using both Seamonkey and Composer a lot this week, and Glipper is still working fine, so there does not seem to be any problem there.