Puppy 2.17alpha available

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

#31 Post by BarryK »

[quote="jeffrey"]When booting from CD it displays the “Select your country

BarryK
Puppy Master

#32 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote:1) the country selection - USA has several lines. Are you trying to pick up the time zones as well as the country, with one selection? Some of the USA zones are not "standard", for example USA-Indiana-east, or whatever that was. The 48 states have eastern, central, mountain and pacific for the time zones IIRC.

2) I selected xvesa as I always do with pfix=ram. It seemed to jump around a lot longer than it used to in earlier revisions, and if you click too soon your selection, it hangs. Mouse cursor still moves but I can't click anything on the screen any more.

3) As someone already noted, you get two welcomes. I'd dump the desktop one, which is missing stuff at the bottom anyway. I like a desktop to be a desktop, with no graffiti scribbled on it. :)
1) yes, I have attempted to combine into one dialog.
2) I never use Xvesa, so it never gets tested.
3) two welcomes.... as dillo is no longer there, that leaves the 'gtkmoz' htmlviewer, so that must be what pops up -- okay, my apologies to the other poster who reported this -- I thought that he must have done something wrong. Okay, I need to test Xvesa.
The welcome on the desktop will go away as soon as you have a pup_save file. Also, it should not have anything 'chopped off' -- the image scales to fit the screen.

pakt

#33 Post by pakt »

PaulBx1 wrote:4) I tried to set up the printer from the setup icon on the desktop; it first printed out something about "usage for xdialog" and then stumbled through the script without having made a selection.
Yes, I also just get the Xdialog help page when clicking on the Printer Wizard. Exiting the help page, a new window pops up:
You have chosen .
Now to choose the print quality.
<removed text>
Must be a syntax error there somewhere...
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

BarryK
Puppy Master

#34 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote:5) I wonder if it is possible to integrate the CUPs thing into the old Puppy printer setup. Or at least, in the old printer setup, suggest to the user that CUPs be tried if no satisfaction was gotten with the older printer setup. That way people won't get too confused that there are two ways to set up the printer.

6) I have a Canon pixma ip1700 printer. The website pointed at by the CUPS setup suggests using the ip2200 driver, and points me to the Canon site. It also mentions getting a ppd file. I found no ppd file there, nor a driver. The Canon site had a download package of rpm files. So my first brush with CUPS makes me want to just drop the idea of printing in linux, and go back to "sneakernet", printing on my wife's Windows machine. :roll:
5) Ah, it must be that the Wizard Wizard is still pointing to the old Printer Wizard. I'll fix that. For now, you have to run the CUPS printer wizard from the menu.
6)I was furtunate, someone (a forum member, can't recall who -- but thanks very much!) sent me a PPD file for my Brother HL2040, which is in the current Puppy. I think he stated that he got it from linuxprinting.org. I don't know much about getting these extra PPDs, but you could try that site for your printer.

pakt

#35 Post by pakt »

BarryK wrote:6)I was furtunate, someone (a forum member, can't recall who -- but thanks very much!) sent me a PPD file for my Brother HL2040, which is in the current Puppy.
It was I - you're welcome 8)
BarryK wrote: I think he stated that he got it from linuxprinting.org. I don't know much about getting these extra PPDs, but you could try that site for your printer.
That's correct - start looking on linuxprinting.org. Lots of clues there :wink:
Paul

gilsont

2.17 mwave syntax error

#36 Post by gilsont »

The mwavem script in the 2.17 alpha has a syntax error when calculating the country code - there is a $ sign missing in front of the variable name in the country code sed statement which generates the syntax error.

jcoder24

#37 Post by jcoder24 »

I too have seen the issue with country selection. Selecting Other and hitting enter just displays a new blank line but does not boot. Hitting enter again then causes the system load a us keymap and continue booting. Select another option like USA.... the system loads the keymap and immediately continues booting.

As for the printer setup there are two options "Printer Wizard" ie PDQ and "CUPS Printer Wizard" cups printing wizard works fine to setup the printer (couldn't test if it actually works since I don't have a printer). For the PDQ, it gives the xdialog error and once you by pass that it continues and ask you a series of questions eg, quality, type of paper etc. After answering all of these questions an xmessage window pops up:

Code: Select all

You aint done it right.
There is no default printer selected.
Press OK to try again...
Pressing OK (or click the X) brings back up the xmessage window and goes on indefinitely.

I have a few question:
1) Is it the intention to have both printing system available?
2) If so which one is set to be the default one?
3) How can one switch between the two systems?
Last edited by jcoder24 on Tue 10 Jul 2007, 13:58, edited 2 times in total.

cb88

#38 Post by cb88 »

heres the deal
have three types of pc that i have tested on.
two desktops and a laptop
desktop#1 semprom w/nvidia gforce2 400mmx
desktop#2 pentium4 w/ hyperthreading w/ nvidia 6200(card) and intel 945G(integrated two show up in win control panel?)
laptop#1 pentium2 300mhz 64mb ram neomagic 256av video chip 2.5mb video ram claimed to be 3d accelerated by HP-compaq specs.

on the laptop xvesa gives me a garbled blue screen after i quit X(occured somtimes in 2.16).press release for neomagic chip in my laptop>>
http://www.neomagic.com/press/1998/981102.asp
glxinfo in a console returns Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0". about 20 times with a few codes in between.
glxgears repeat the glxinfo error once and adds this "Error: couldn't get an RGB, double buffer visual."

xorg just crashes when i try to run it on the desktops

desktop#2 the part that bothers me is that intelfb is loaded while there is no kernel module loaded for the nvidia card the intel card should be disabled in the bios

desktop 1 nvidia card and xorg still crashes it also has an integrated video chip that is not used.

I will test tonight on desktop #3 w/ nvidia geforce2 400mmx that does not have an integrated chip

here are some of the log files from desktop#2 I found interesting
Attachments
somename.tar.gz
(12.48 KiB) Downloaded 427 times

pakt

Printer wizard gives Xdialog help page

#39 Post by pakt »

Ah, now I see what happened when I tried using the Printer Wizard. It (the one in the menu) apparently still points to the old wizard (which contains an Xdialog syntax error).

When I execute in a terminal
# cups_shell
the new CUPS wizard works. I added my Brother HL-2030 printer, configured it and it prints out a test page correctly - very nice!

Paul

EDIT: I just checked the menu again. I see that I (naturally) chose 'Printer Wizard' under 'Setup'. But I should have chosen either 'CUPS Printer Wizard' under 'Setup' or 'CUPS manage printing' under 'System'. Confusing :!:

pakt

#40 Post by pakt »

PaulBx1 wrote:6) I have a Canon pixma ip1700 printer. The website pointed at by the CUPS setup suggests using the ip2200 driver, and points me to the Canon site. It also mentions getting a ppd file. I found no ppd file there, nor a driver. The Canon site had a download package of rpm files. So my first brush with CUPS makes me want to just drop the idea of printing in linux, and go back to "sneakernet", printing on my wife's Windows machine. :roll:
Canon printers are difficult to set up for CUPS if you don't use one of the major distros. However I found this info on the net that should help:
(from: http://jeandamiendurand.free.fr/serendi ... /4-General )
Canon iP1700
Argh, my previous printer died with a mechanical problem, and I though I'd better buy something, not professional - no, a printer for normal use, and cheap. I choosed the Canon iP1700 printer.

And, well, no native driver for Linux/CUPS.

Fortunately, as indicated here at openprinting.org, the driver for the iP2200 would work. And hey! There are debian packages for it:

#
## Canon ip1700 (the ip2200 drivers works with it)
#
deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/debian ./

I installed them, changed two lines in the iP2200 ppd file:

% diff /usr/share/cups/model/canonip2200.orig.ppd /usr/share/cups/model/canonip2200.ppd
48,49c48,49
< *MaxMediaWidth: "612"
< *MaxMediaHeight: "1656"
---
> *MaxMediaWidth: "215"
> *MaxMediaHeight: "584"

and choosed explicitely this modified iP2200 ppd file in the CUPS configuration. Works.
HTH,
Paul

Dougal

#41 Post by Dougal »

cb88 wrote:it has pci express and the intel video chip is or should be disabled
xorg crashes xvesa doesn't but i have no 3d accelleration it claims that the xorg.conf file is incomplete.
2.14 does the same thing.
Have you got a nVidia card with a TV-out?

Someone mentioned on this forum that in such a case Xorg expects two screen sections.

In your case, the xorg.conf file has the following section:

Code: Select all

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection
but there is no "Screen1" section later on...

I'd suggest you try and just remove the "Screen1" line from the above (line 81) and see if it works. If not, you might have to create a Screen1 section.

If just removing the "Screen1" line works, please let me know so I'll adjust the xorgwizard appropriately.

Also, you have the "Monitor1" section (lines 118-122), which might need removing.

You also have entries for two cards, nVidia GeForce 6200 and an Intel 945G integrated controller, which might cause problems... if so, try and remove lines 148-168.

I'm including a modified xorgwizard that should leave all those part out, in case you want to try it, but be sure to try it when booting with pfix=ram (boot into Xvesa, put this modified wizard into /usr/sbin, then run "Xorg Video Wizard" from the setup menu), since if it doesn't work selecting "xvesa" in this wizard won't do anything...
Attachments
xorgwizard.gz
(17.02 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

cb88

#42 Post by cb88 »

could you put in an option to select the card to use if more than on are present and will video out work or does that need something more?
might not test it till later.

jeffrey

#43 Post by jeffrey »

Further to my problem with country selection throwing a blank line and waiting silently for Enter to be pressed, I got exactly the same result on an Asus PC (as well as the Acer PC and Acer laptop already tested on). I've tried simply pressing Enter whil the defauly "other" is selected and also tried selecting NZ and pressing Enter. In each case it waits for another Enter before proceeding.

On saving to disk (no encryption) and restarting it failed to load the desktop and displayed an error dialog "Attempt to read an XML file as a text file. File '/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/globicons' may be corrupted." every time rox was run or new directories opened in rox.

On a subsequent clean save to disk this did not occur (thankfully) but the Boot Manager started all by itself (and I don't think that it's supposed to). Strange.

Printer Wizard fails with "Usage for Xdialog window displayed". This menu item should probably be removed because it is superceded by CUPS Printer Wizard, which should simply be renamed "Printer Wizard". The first dialog box (purple background) claims that the printer wizard will
start in 3-30s. Make that 80-90s for me! What ever is it doing? I can open SeaMonkey in 10s, type "localhost:631" in a few seconds, and get the printer wizard up an running. 90s is too llooonnnnggggg! (500MHz CPU.)
Apart from these gripes, CUPS is wonderful - thank you Barry - I can now print on my HL2040 too without having to install extra packages (which I think is important for any Linux distribution).

The serial modem was detected fine on ttyS0 with /dev/modem linked to ttyS0. I got PupDial to work once I figured out that the modem command string needs a space between each individual command unlike gtkdial which doesn't have spaces embedded in the string. Nice GUI but I like the way that gtkdial stays present so that I can disconnect the modem. Perhaps your PupDial has the same feature and I just missed it. Ideally one would use a right mouse click on blinky to perform the disconnection. And an active/disabled firewall icon in the system tray would be great too, but those can be new features for a future release.

In conclusion this looks like a noble effort but a flakey release to me.

By the way I checked the md5sum before burning the iso to CD.. Don't know how to check it once it's burnt. Perhaps I'll burn another copy just to check that there's not something wrong with the first burn. Assume that there wasn't unless you hear from me...

BarryK
Puppy Master

#44 Post by BarryK »

jcoder24 wrote:1) Is it the intention to have both printing system available?
2) If so which one is set to be the default one?
3) How can one switch between the two systems?
That was an error in the Wizard Wizard, as PDQ is no longer there.
I don't think can have both, or rather can, but would have to switch the 'lpr' utility. CUPS has its own lpr, PDQ has lpr as a symlink.
I think though, now that we have migrated to CUPS, there's not much point in switching between them. In future, we will be compiling some apps to specifically use CUPS for printing, so won't be compatible with PDQ.

Jesse

#45 Post by Jesse »

Hi Barry,

I also have the boot time problem at the "select your country" dialog.
I scroll down to NZ, option 60, and press enter once and it looks like the selection gets accepted, but nothing happens till I press enter for a second time.

If I choose Australia-west, I only need to press enter once and it continues loading.

I am booting on a computer that only has a cd/dvd drive, no hard disks in it at the moment.

Is it concieveable that hardware detection can indicate presence of a modem (in as-good-as all boot-time cases), so as to know if to ask for a country name?

Is it a good/bad idea to make an assumption about keyboard layout based on the keyboard id string, e.g. is "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" always a us-keyboard layout?

I notice puppyserialdetect is run after the choose country screen, if you use my edition 1.1g, with -ke option and save the output, you'll have easy access to the keyboard string.

Jesse

BarryK
Puppy Master

#46 Post by BarryK »

jeffrey wrote:The serial modem was detected fine on ttyS0 with /dev/modem linked to ttyS0. I got PupDial to work once I figured out that the modem command string needs a space between each individual command unlike gtkdial which doesn't have spaces embedded in the string. Nice GUI but I like the way that gtkdial stays present so that I can disconnect the modem. Perhaps your PupDial has the same feature and I just missed it. Ideally one would use a right mouse click on blinky to perform the disconnection. And an active/disabled firewall icon in the system tray would be great too, but those can be new features for a future release.
Spaces are not supposed to make any difference, at least, that's my understanding. I have used PupDial without any spaces in the init2 string, worked fine. Can you recheck that?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#47 Post by BarryK »

Jesse wrote:Hi Barry,

I also have the boot time problem at the "select your country" dialog.
I scroll down to NZ, option 60, and press enter once and it looks like the selection gets accepted, but nothing happens till I press enter for a second time.

If I choose Australia-west, I only need to press enter once and it continues loading.

I am booting on a computer that only has a cd/dvd drive, no hard disks in it at the moment.

Is it concieveable that hardware detection can indicate presence of a modem (in as-good-as all boot-time cases), so as to know if to ask for a country name?

Is it a good/bad idea to make an assumption about keyboard layout based on the keyboard id string, e.g. is "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" always a us-keyboard layout?

I notice puppyserialdetect is run after the choose country screen, if you use my edition 1.1g, with -ke option and save the output, you'll have easy access to the keyboard string.

Jesse
Jesse, ah ha, your test comparing australia-west is the hint I need to fix that one!

If a modem is detected, the country that you chose in the dialog will be applied to it -- each modem is different though, so it happens in different ways. Some modems only support a subset of the countries.

If we an automatically detect a US keyboard, that will be great. Currently, if you choose say Germany, then the German locale and keyboard are applied. However, US personell working in Germany might not be too happy with that! So, by detecting the US keyboard, we can pop up an extra question, "you can chosen a German locale but probe indicates US keyboard, do you want to choose German or US keyboard?: ".

Getnikar

#48 Post by Getnikar »

BarryK wrote:Regarding lost clipboard info, I think it was Glipper that kept it persistent, but I had to get rid of Glipper.
Barry,

I am finding Glipper extremely useful in 2.16. Will there be an equivalent in 2.18?

Jesse

#49 Post by Jesse »

Hmm, perhaps we can take a lesson from the windows installer on this one.
It does as much auto-detection as possible, then presents a one page confirmation showing the choices, so with a country selection there could be as many auto selected options as:
timezone,
keyboard layout,
modem country settings,
puppy language (if puppy gets that far, menu/desktop icon names in that language). Perhaps with a kernel boot option puppy-language=x to set a default to be able to "regionize" an iso.

Such that if you're not using a modem, not connecting to the net, not using keyboard for typing, and not worried about those settings. You can just hit enter once to accept all those detected defaults and get into puppy to play "Tkmines minesweeper" :)

I think if you ask too many questions at boot up, it'll delay it too much for people to be keen to use it.
Just my 2c for the moment :)

Jesse

zygo

#50 Post by zygo »

Barry,
I have not had a hd connected while 2.17 was booting. Only files on the CD were (and are) accessible between power on and the desktop showing.

Straight after boot wvdial.conf has 'Modem = ttyS0' but I got the 'no modem found' error when using wvdial from the command line. Usng pupdial always seems to correct this fault -- ie the path is in the string after pupdial closes.

I find that I can connect with 'Baud = 57600' but ppp never starts (according to xnetload) and I get an error about ppp dying error code 16. It seems I need 'Baud = 115200' which is set after the scan button is clicked. In init string 2; spaces seem to be irrelevant and I can even apend M0 for squak-free dialup.

Help refers to cutecom but wouldn't the already installed picocom do the job?

Furthermore:
I have a usb numeric pad connected as well as a ps2 full (en-GB) keyboard. I can select (uk) from the locale menu at boot using either using page_down and down keys.

Also my usb-controlled fm radio has a module loaded by the kernel acording to PupScan:
Manufacturer=GemTek Corp
Product=USB FM Radio
VendorID=04b4 ProductID=1002 KERNEL-MODULE=dsbr100
It seems from an internet search that only an xmms plugin called fmradio supports it. There has been a /usr/local/bin/fmradioshell script in puppy for a while -- it checks for the videodev module then runs fmradio. But there doesn't seem to be a current pet version of xmms.

I wish you'd keep dillo in. For help pages; not being able to copy is a pain but it is tiny.