Puppy 2.17alpha available

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

Puppy 2.17alpha available

#1 Post by BarryK »

See announcement here:
http://www.puppylinux.com/news/comments ... 709-111155

This forum thread can be for feedback.

cb88

#2 Post by cb88 »

i am running on a 2.17 alpha on a p4 HT w/ the following specs:
DESCRIPTION: Intel Corporation 945G/P Memory Controller Hub
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2770 KERNEL MODULE: intel-agp

DESCRIPTION: Intel Corporation 945G/P PCI Express Graphics Port
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2771 KERNEL MODULE: unknown

DESCRIPTION: Intel Corporation 945G Integrated Graphics Controller
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2772 KERNEL MODULE: intelfb

DESCRIPTION: Intel Corporation 945G Integrated Graphics Controller
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2776 KERNEL MODULE: unknown

DESCRIPTION: nVidia Corporation GeForce 6200
VENDOR: 10de DEVICE: 0221 KERNEL MODULE: unknown

it has pci express and the intel video chip is or should be disabled
xorg crashes xvesa doesn't but i have no 3d accelleration it claims that the xorg.conf file is incomplete.
2.14 does the same thing.

also 2.17 seems to boot faster possibly dues to better handling of smp capable proccessors in the new kernel or better sata handling. pmount is indeed faster and detects my simpletech flash drive thanks barry (any way to get the tabbed pmount in the final?).

also it appears you have stuck with jwm 1.8 not a prob really. one more thing sound is working so far.

please include mime type for .wma and change others from madplay to gxine or include a small music player killing madplay is a pain and confusing for beginners and please set defaul run action for .bmp to mtpaint as it is unset by default

I will try to report on the functionalit of beryl on 2.17 alpha soon.

happy hunting(for bugs) cb88
Attachments
xorgconf.tar.gz
(1.87 KiB) Downloaded 890 times

John Doe

#3 Post by John Doe »

SD Booting/Saving

Worked great on first machine. Saved right to the internal SD reader and found the pup_save when booted.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

CUPS is probably the biggest innovation and testing and feedback I am sure would be welcome by Barry

I will be testing out my dusty ol' Canon Bubblejet . . .

Also the modem connection improvements . . . more testing :)
My initial feel of this is it is probably beta quality (but be careful) Make sure you read the notes.
http://www.puppylinux.com/download/release-2.17.htm

The finacial programs will also make welcome additions. I look forward to using notecase. Tuxcards is also available with the package installer - biut always better to use the inbuilt defaults (IMO) 8) [/img]
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Wolf Pup

#5 Post by Wolf Pup »

barry, 2.17 Alpha does detect lucent winmodem but can't connect, puppy 2.17 locks up and keyboard lights start flashing, pup save file is renamed to prevent loading + pfix=ram

when booting with Xvesa a browser pops up, but in Xorg no browser pops up?

can someone post a link to the extra HP drivers for cups PET package?
Last edited by Wolf Pup on Mon 09 Jul 2007, 22:16, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

Greatnessguru

How to mount and manage WebDAV volumes?

#6 Post by Greatnessguru »

I'm using Puppy 2.17.Alpha just fine on an HP Vectra VE, 64MB RAM, 1 GB swap. I did pfix=clean from 2.14.Beta OK.

Q: How do I mount and manage/transfer files with a WebDAV volume? Rox? Pmount?

Thank you,
Eddie

kirk

#7 Post by kirk »

The sfs mounter is neat. Doesn't mount encrypted though, might not be worth the trouble. CUPS is a nice addition, used it with my HP 4si over a network had to use socket://192.168.254.200:9100 for my Device URI. Works nice. That's with hp jetdirect and postscript. Here's some problems:

1) On boot Puppy loads the rt73 module for my rt2570 usb wifi stick.

2) The bcm43xx wifi module doesn't work. Did work in 2.16.

If my wife will ever let me use her laptop for more than a couple minutes, I'll try to build and test new bcm43xx module. :cry:

Also, the run-pureftpd script hasn't been updated, it's got a rather big security hole. It's at:

http://www.puppyos.net/forum/?1181100547

More info on the dhcpcd problem. Posted on the blog:

http://www.puppylinux.com/news/comments ... 707-094306

zygo

#8 Post by zygo »

I'm online with 217 alpha live cd entirely in RAM. No HD. No pup_save. I had to use an old wvdial.conf with these lines:
Modem = /dev/ttyS0
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
The original had 'Modem = ttyS0' so no modem found. It also had a smaller Baud value. wvdial gave a warning about mine being incompatible but it did connect me. The original just hung after dialing. I think it was because int string 2 was wrong. Sadly, I've overwritten the original file. Really I should test further -- it only failed once.

Another problem I've just noticed is a blast from the past. The copied item seems to be forgotten when the application it was copied from is closed. I needed to keep geany open to make pasting my quote into this forum work.

passwd no longer causes a segmentation fault. I've yet to try printing.

alienjeff

#9 Post by alienjeff »

Lobster wrote:My initial feel of this is it is probably beta quality (but be careful)
Opinion ("My"), subjectiveness ("feel"), inconclusiveness ("probably") and disclaimer ("but be careful") do not substantiate moving to a beta release. Please consider the following timeline from the developer's blog and here:

Saturday, June 30 7:42 P.M. - Puppy v2.17-experimental-1 made available
Monday, July 9, 2007 @ 11:11 A.M. - Puppy v.217-alpha made available
Monday, July 9, 2007 @ 3:43 P.M. - above quote entered

Personalities aside, and with all due respect for enthusiasm, contribution, participation and promotion, 4-hours and 32-minutes of alpha-state testing doth not legitimize worthiness of beta status, let alone make for a sound v2.17 foundation. Recent distribution history has shown how such persistent nudging can have a detrimental affect on the ultimate integrity of versions deemed "final" releases.

-aj
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Firefox

Puppy 2.17 alpha

#10 Post by Firefox »

Downloaded 217alpha and used standard burn - no multisession.

Upon booting from it using pfix=ram the desktop showed the contents of the dillo file and then the dillo box came up with its contents, two for the price of one.

Pressed connect and it found my modem on serial cable connected ok then booted Seamonkey. Typed www.puppyos.com and pressed return, site not found, pressed again, same thing but the modem went down and redialled itself.
I then installed my standby wvdial153 and gnome-ppp, everything webwise now ok.
WHY isnt this standard?.

Decided to install frugal (co-exist) for a change on hda1 as i`d got a lot of puppy files on hda2 and 13meg space to fill.
Went through the install proceedures putting grub on MBR. Up came Kernel panic not synching no init found.

Booted up with 2.12 disc had a look at grub menu 1st. I`d got 3 lists of puppy on my hd? two for hda1 and one for the files on hda2. edited the files to find only puppy 2.17 on hd0,0.
Rebooted -same thing kernel panic.

Decided to do a full install on hda1. cleaned disk and mbr and formated to ext3
then installed full install. Screen/desktop came up normal - no dillo file but modem connect same problem, cant get through to websites even though modem appears to be running and every second click on url it redials.
Tried cups but no printer setup for hp710c printer so no good for me,
havn`t tried listening to radio streaming media so I suspect that wont be set up either.

cb88

#11 Post by cb88 »

beryl is a no go must need to recompile drivers xorg just crashes after they are installed.

the new pdf viewer crashed repeatedly on my laptop running from cd 300mhz 64mb ram. ran fine on my faster sempron 1.8ghz PC rendered fine good interface.

would rather have hv3 as the basic viewer even if it isn't perfect is would load fast on the first boot. gives more choice as it is becoming more functional.

has not detected two of my modems one is an Coexant HSF of some variation and the other i'am not sure but it is a compaq presario 1810 laptop if you do an internet search you may find info about it. the specs claim the video chip is 3d accelerated are there any grounds to this?check the file i attached below.

jeffrey

#12 Post by jeffrey »

When booting from CD it displays the “Select your country

BarryK
Puppy Master

#13 Post by BarryK »

cb88 wrote:it has pci express and the intel video chip is or should be disabled
xorg crashes xvesa doesn't but i have no 3d accelleration it claims that the xorg.conf file is incomplete.
I looked through the xorg.conf, it seems complete to me. Perhaps Dougal can spot something amiss in it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

Lobster, I notice your screen snapshot has a blank Notecase window -- to get an immediate notecase documet to see and play with, click the Help button.

I love Notecase. Findng some small things which we will have to report to the author:
1. Word wrap, it seems, has to be chosen every time it runs.
2. external URLs don't work -- clicking them nothing happens -- theres' no setup for chooing an external browser either.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#15 Post by BarryK »

Wolf Pup wrote:barry, 2.17 Alpha does detect lucent winmodem but can't connect, puppy 2.17 locks up and keyboard lights start flashing, pup save file is renamed to prevent loading + pfix=ram

when booting with Xvesa a browser pops up, but in Xorg no browser pops up?

can someone post a link to the extra HP drivers for cups PET package?
Okay, my dad has a laptop with Lucent modem, that I had previously had working with Puppy, so I'll go see him tomorrow, do some testing.

For Xorg, the welcome message appears on the dsktop, not in a browser window -- if you don't get that then something is wrong.

I've just now uploaded the hpijs-1.7.pet package to ibiblio, so just click on the 'install' icon on the desktop, and it should be in the list.

Note, regarding the 'install' icon, all packages listed may not yet be uploaded to ibiblio. There are quite a few new pkgs.
Last edited by BarryK on Tue 10 Jul 2007, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

PaulBx1

#16 Post by PaulBx1 »

I made an encrypted (heavy) copy of my pup_save using my convert-pupsave utility and called it pup_save_crypt217A.2fs. When I tried booting this with 2.16.1, it booted fine (except for some reason my desktop icons were scrambled, not sure why). But when I tried to boot it with 2.17A, I could never get past the password prompt. In other words it always thinks I'm giving it the wrong password, even if it is the same one I gave booting with 2.16.1. So it appears something is broken there.

I checked to make sure no caps lock or anything stupid like that.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

kirk wrote:1) On boot Puppy loads the rt73 module for my rt2570 usb wifi stick.

2) The bcm43xx wifi module doesn't work. Did work in 2.16.
kirk,
could you run
# lspci -m -n
Yes, I have given rt73 first-go at loading. Need to find out the exceptions to load rt2570 instead.

I have no idea what to do about the bcm43xx module. Use Ndiswrapper :)

kirk

#18 Post by kirk »

cb88,

Both of yours card will support 3d. The nvidia card you've got your monitor hooked up to (good choice) will need the nvidia driver :

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_disp ... 14.11.html

Also I think MU may have posted a biniary, search the forum, or use the installer from nvidia. For the driver from nvidia you'll need the devx file and run it without X running.

If you want to use the 945gm, see :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14690

Guess you could use both.

SIDE NOTE:

epdfview Looks promising, printing from it is better. But with large PDFs it's real slow. It doesn't seem to cache any thing. So if you go foward a page and wait for the "Loading" to finish then go back to the same page you have to wait again. Also, it has no menu entry.

I agree with cb88 about using gxine for mp3s. With snack you have to kill it to stop the mp3.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#19 Post by BarryK »

zygo wrote:I'm online with 217 alpha live cd entirely in RAM. No HD. No pup_save. I had to use an old wvdial.conf with these lines:
Modem = /dev/ttyS0
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
The original had 'Modem = ttyS0' so no modem found. It also had a smaller Baud value. wvdial gave a warning about mine being incompatible but it did connect me. The original just hung after dialing. I think it was because int string 2 was wrong. Sadly, I've overwritten the original file. Really I should test further -- it only failed once.

Another problem I've just noticed is a blast from the past. The copied item seems to be forgotten when the application it was copied from is closed. I needed to keep geany open to make pasting my quote into this forum work.

passwd no longer causes a segmentation fault. I've yet to try printing.
'Modem = ttyS0' -- that's strange, I thought that I had fixed that bug. Maybe with all the messing around, it got unfixed. Anyone else testing PupDial, make sure that line has the '/dev/' in front -- check /etc/wvdial.conf before starting PupDial -- and let me know if it's wrong.

Regarding lost clipboard info, I think it was Glipper that kept it persistent, but I had to get rid of Glipper.

Yes, 2.17exp1 used unionfs2 which caused crashes. I see from the unionfs mail list that some else has reported the same problm with the latest patch, so I'm not bothering, just using aufs.

....hmm, I wonder. Even if you boot with pfix=ram, perhaps Puppy is finding an old pup_217.sfs and zdrv_217.sfs left over on the hard drive and using that. Shouldn't do but I'm not 100% certain about that. So make sure those files are absent.
Last edited by BarryK on Tue 10 Jul 2007, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Puppy 2.17 alpha

#20 Post by BarryK »

Firefox wrote:Downloaded 217alpha and used standard burn - no multisession.

Upon booting from it using pfix=ram the desktop showed the contents of the dillo file and then the dillo box came up with its contents, two for the price of one.

Pressed connect and it found my modem on serial cable connected ok then booted Seamonkey. Typed www.puppyos.com and pressed return, site not found, pressed again, same thing but the modem went down and redialled itself.
I then installed my standby wvdial153 and gnome-ppp, everything webwise now ok.
WHY isnt this standard?.

Decided to install frugal (co-exist) for a change on hda1 as i`d got a lot of puppy files on hda2 and 13meg space to fill.
Went through the install proceedures putting grub on MBR. Up came Kernel panic not synching no init found.

Booted up with 2.12 disc had a look at grub menu 1st. I`d got 3 lists of puppy on my hd? two for hda1 and one for the files on hda2. edited the files to find only puppy 2.17 on hd0,0.
Rebooted -same thing kernel panic.

Decided to do a full install on hda1. cleaned disk and mbr and formated to ext3
then installed full install. Screen/desktop came up normal - no dillo file but modem connect same problem, cant get through to websites even though modem appears to be running and every second click on url it redials.
Tried cups but no printer setup for hp710c printer so no good for me,
havn`t tried listening to radio streaming media so I suspect that wont be set up either.
Firefox, you have not followed the heavily emphasised instructions for testing this alpha.
There is no Dillo in 2.17alpha, you must be using a previous pup_217.sfs file and/or a preexisting pup_save file. Booting with 'puppy pfix=ram' should fix this. Also get rid of any preexisting pup_217.sfs and zdrv_217.sfs file on the hard drive.

...but perhaps you have followed instructions, by using 'puppy pfix=ram'. In that case, it seems that Puppy is still finding an using the 'pup_217.sfs' that 2.17exp1 left behind on the hard drive. Get rid of that, and zdrv_217.sfs and try again.
Last edited by BarryK on Tue 10 Jul 2007, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.