ndujoe1

Question: Puppy and mobile devices

#1 Post by ndujoe1 »

Can puppylinux be put into a device with a Quad-Core 1.2GHz
processor?

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

What kind of processor?

Atom Z3537F is a mobile CPU, sort of... it's in the Intel Compute Stick and similar systems, and AFAIK any Pup will run on it. This is true of any x86 CPU at least as new as the original Pentium line. (I don't think Puppy will boot on a 486 and I'm not interested in finding out. For the record, a 300-500 MHz Pentium II is about the lower limit of usability unless you are exceptionally desperate and patient.)

If you're more on the ARM computer (like the Raspberry Pi and its kin) side of things, head over to the FatDogARM thread in Puppy Projects, and ask jamesbond if he either already supports your chip or is willing/able to provide that support.

If it is a tablet device you're looking at, probably not, simply because it has a lot of specialized hardware that one would have to actually write the drivers for... moreso even for a smartphone. Puppy will probably never have a tablet or smartphone version.

ndujoe1

#3 Post by ndujoe1 »

Thanks I am trying to unbrick this Nobis 785 tablet, and make it useful in some way, so I can't hurt it by any means,

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Android.

Stick with Android.