crash upon reboot after package install

Booting, installing, newbie
maybeme

crash upon reboot after package install

#1 Post by maybeme »

Sorry if this has been posted before...but I have an issue with my Lucid 5.2.5 (installed to SD) that I can't figure out out: everything is fine UNLESS I install any software that asks for a reboot. Then I get the error messages attached - fatal pci module errors, dumping kernel log, etc. Software installs that don't ask for a reboot are fine.

Anybody know where I should start looking (and yes, I'm pretty much a newbie).

Thanks,

Bernie

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Details about how you are installing programs?
What program does this? Give name.
Where are you getting programs?

maybeme

#3 Post by maybeme »

Sorry - should've clarified: any of the programs requiring a reboot made available in Quickpet v4.5 - last 2 it happened with were Gimp and Acrobat Reader.

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

Gimp as far as I know is pretty large .
Wow much free space did you have after the installation ?
Did you install as .pet or .sfs ?
Make sure your save-file is not getting corrupted .
Use 'tune2fs -c 20 -i 5d -j -L 525pupSave -m 7 -o debug,acl,journal_data_ordered -O +dir_index,+filetype /Path/To/My/Pupsave-file'
to convert it into ext3 .
Run fsck .

To me it looks , that some initrd.gz/init mount everything into tmpfs in RAM not only @frugal usb installations but also @frugal hd installations .

the output of the commands < df > and < mount > would be useful to check what would /pup_ro1 .. ro4 be .

pup_ro2 should be the main.sfs , pup_ro1 the savefile.2fs , and pup_ro4 the zdNUMBER.sfs or the devx.sfs .

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

Seems to me I had this problem one time because the squash file was not version 4, but my recall is a little hazy on this.

Something I'd look into.

~

Sylvander

#6 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Anybody know where I should start looking"
I got that warning with Legacy OS 2 at the 1st attempt at boot...
From either a CD-RW or CD-R.

2. The problem disappeared when I used a Smart Boot Manager [SBM] bootable floppy to choose the device to boot [this or that optical drive].

3. Subsequently, there was no longer any need to use the SBM floppy; the CD's would boot just fine without it.

maybeme

#7 Post by maybeme »

Thanks for the replies thus far!

@ Karl: it's a 2GB SD card so plenty of space left (1.5GB or thereabouts). I think the GIMP install was a .sfs.

Originally I tried to use a savefile but had the issue that it wouldn't get read upon a reboot...so all the settings I had changed were lost - so I used the option to save to the SD card directly instead (that worked). Wasn't aware that the savefile is not ext3 even though that's what I'm using as the filesystem?

I will try to get the output you requested...might be a day or two though.

Uebrigens: Deutsch geht auch wenn's dir lieber ist!

Thanks all,

Bernie