CUPS in Hand (2.17 experimental feedback)

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
wingruntled

#76 Post by wingruntled »

Hi
I'm having a problem with the dialup apps in 2.17. I can connect with my pci LTmodem and stay connected but!
I can connect with GKdial but GK reports that there is no modem and I can't dis-connect with it.
Pupdial will allow me to dis-connect but not dialup. I get the following error from pupdial when I try to dialup:
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
--> Cannot open /dev/Modem = ttyLT0: No such file or directory

I tried to edit Wvdial.conf so the modem is dev/ttyLT0 and it works but only till I reboot and then I'm back where I started.
Now what?

edited to add: I'm running 2.17 on a full HD install.

John Doe

#77 Post by John Doe »

BarryK wrote:
John Doe wrote:Tried out an internal SD reader on my neighbor's laptop. Pmount saw it but gave an error on mount but DID mount ok.
I'm very curious, what error did you get, and how did you get it? -- I mean, did you run pmount from a teminal window and get the error on stderr?
Sorry, should have just kept quit on that one. I couldn't reproduce it. From memory it was one of those error dialogs like one gets when mounting an ntfs partion that was uncleanly unmount. Although the part in question was fat32.

Further internal SD reader testing...

I've got access to two machine..

A-neighbors laptop (Compaq Presario V2000) [leaves tomorrow on business for a week]
B-dad's desktop (will get info tomorrow)

A-pmount sees it mut doesn't
B-pmount and mut see it

will try save file and booting tomorrow or Monday.

John Doe

#78 Post by John Doe »

Dougal wrote:
John Doe wrote:Machine in the Out house had serial modem autodetected and set up successfully.
Machine in the Out house? Have you been following the coffee HOWTO?
:-) That looks like something I'd do.

Although the BEST way to make coffee (in my opinion) would be much more difficult to automate.

Making coffee is a complex art and requires lots of love. It's been my experience that most people probably never really get a chance to reach the pinicle of understanding about what goes into making the best cup of coffee. I will now attempt to spread the word.

1-Good dried beans stored in the fridge or freezer (further discussion required).

2-Grind your beans in burr blender (not blades) set on medium. The blades heat the oils and destroy them. The medium setting is to keep the grounds from slipping through the screen in step 3 (*see step 3).

3-Put the grounds in a french press and add boiling water.

4-Work on Puppy Linux for 10 minutes.

5-PRESS!!!! (not with that much force, we're just excited about drinking the coffee)

6-Pour into mug and flavor to taste (cream and sweatner if desired). Note the oil floating on the surface, prior to flavoring. This is an indication that you are about to really realize the full potential (flavor and strength) of the coffee. If you see no oil, try different beans or review the previous steps.

7-Enjoy.

8-optional: add stimulants and repeat. can keep puppy work going for hours.

*disclaimer. size of french press will determine output of coffee. the bigger the better.

*warning. coffee contains hundreds of carcinagens. drink tea instead.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#79 Post by BarryK »

wingruntled wrote:Hi
I'm having a problem with the dialup apps in 2.17. I can connect with my pci LTmodem and stay connected but!
I can connect with GKdial but GK reports that there is no modem and I can't dis-connect with it.
Pupdial will allow me to dis-connect but not dialup. I get the following error from pupdial when I try to dialup:
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
--> Cannot open /dev/Modem = ttyLT0: No such file or directory

I tried to edit Wvdial.conf so the modem is dev/ttyLT0 and it works but only till I reboot and then I'm back where I started.
Now what?

edited to add: I'm running 2.17 on a full HD install.
Yes, that's a bug, fixed for 2.17alpha, due out very soon. Some other modem-detection-related bugs fixed, so for everybody reading this, wait for 2.17alpha!

vanchutr

CUPS in Puppy 217 alpha

#80 Post by vanchutr »

I successf. added the Samsung ML1610 (USB port):
1. Copy the Samsung-ML-1610-gdi.ppd to /usr/share/cups/model
2. Run CUPS: System -> CUPS mange printing - Add printer
3. Print a test page: Good!

PS: If you didn't have a default printer and you go directly to `Setup -> Printer wizard ->...' May be you will get trouble!

Thank Barry and all puppians

ATinyMouse

2.17 Works Great on my 770E!!

#81 Post by ATinyMouse »

Hi Barry,
Brand new puppy user here. I recently started the search for a small Linux distro to power my Thinkpad 770E. After reading good things about puppy I grabbed a copy of 2.16. Unfortunately, it would hang at boot during puppyserialdetect. After a bit of Googling I ran across your developer page about the alpha release of 2.17, so I grabbed a copy of it. I'm happy to say it fixed my boot problem! Puppyserialdetect runs immediately and I was able to get to X without issue. Unfortunately, I have no internal modem to test out for you, which was mentioned would be helpful on the developer page.

Now I can't wait for the final release of 2.17.... :wink:

Jason

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: CUPS in Puppy 217 alpha

#82 Post by BarryK »

vanchutr wrote:I successf. added the Samsung ML1610 (USB port):
1. Copy the Samsung-ML-1610-gdi.ppd to /usr/share/cups/model
2. Run CUPS: System -> CUPS mange printing - Add printer
3. Print a test page: Good!

PS: If you didn't have a default printer and you go directly to `Setup -> Printer wizard ->...' May be you will get trouble!

Thank Barry and all puppians
vanchutr, post the ppd file, I'll put it into Puppy permanently.