CUPS in Hand (2.17 experimental feedback)

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tempestuous

#16 Post by tempestuous »

Puppy 2.16's kernel has Wireless Extensions v20, and its Wireless-Tools are stated as compatible for v11 to v21.
But Puppy 2.17's kernel has Wireless Extensions v22, so upgraded Wireless-Tools are definitely needed.

So I now attach Wireless-Tools for Puppy 2.17, stable v28, and beta v29pre22.
These were compiled in Vector Linux with kernel 2.6.21.5 using Barry's preliminary kernel config.
The exact kernel config should not matter, it's the Wireless Extensions version which determines compatibility.
Attachments
Wireless_tools28-k2.6.21.5.pet
(62.83 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times
wireless_tools29pre22-k2.6.21.5.pet
(67.13 KiB) Downloaded 1063 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Tue 03 Jul 2007, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

tempestuous, great, saves me from having to compile it.

flash, okay, I'll check the logic where it tests if the swap partition is loaded.

zygo

#18 Post by zygo »

Hi,
I booted 2.17 exp1 from cd - no hd.

- The connect applet reports no modem found. I have an external hw modem. As I reported earlier on this forum http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&start=21 puppyserialdetects give different results depending on how it is invoked.

- pmount is faster because it doesn't spin-up the cd when is starts up :D
I would rather it did not eject afer unmounting though.
I'd also like the floppy drive to be put back on please.

- The time is 1 hour behind that in 216 which is correctly showing BST. The change is probably a good thing because it was wrong in xp the other day when I booted for the first time in a few months.

Thanks for puppy so far.

zygo

#19 Post by zygo »

When I copy my wvdial.conf to /etc/ it is not properly read by PupDial. My file's Init1 and Init2 were generated by wvdial in 2.14. I entered 'Init3 = ATM0' myself (so that I didn't have to listen to the dialing and screeching). I don't know if they could all go in one Init string. Init2 has several space-separated items in it but PupDial reads only up to the first space. Init3 is not shown in PupDial.

kirk

#20 Post by kirk »

Barry,

I found a new source for the rtl8180 wifi driver that wouldn't compile. On this project's home page they claim it will build on 2.6.21.

http://rtl-wifi.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page

I downloaded their SVN today. I'll attach it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#21 Post by BarryK »

zygo wrote:- pmount is faster because it doesn't spin-up the cd when is starts up :D
I would rather it did not eject afer unmounting though.
I'd also like the floppy drive to be put back on please.
The floppy drive should be there. The floppy-detection code is the same as before. Let's see, try this:

# grep "Floppy drive" /var/log/messages

...you should get something.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#22 Post by BarryK »

zygo wrote:- The connect applet reports no modem found. I have an external hw modem. As I reported earlier on this forum http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&start=21 puppyserialdetects give different results depending on how it is invoked.
2.17exp1 only has puppyserialdetect 1.2, none other.
You would only have other versions of puppyserialdetect present if you are using a pre-existing pup_save file, which the release announcement expressely warned against doing.

If you boot with 'puppy pfix=ram', no prior pup_save file will be used. Then, does it detect your hardware modem?

Marco_Inge

#23 Post by Marco_Inge »

Just booted 2.17 experiment 1 and it recognised my analog modem immediately. The modem is a Trust MD1100 internal.

Great! Lack of dialup connection with my modem was the only thing stopping me from saying goodbye to window$ on my home pc and turn to Puppy Linux 100% :D :D :D

Thanks Barry for the hard work. In a year and a half time since I started getting interested in Linux, Puppy was the best thing I discovered and release after release it really became what I needed! 8)

Marco

BarryK
Puppy Master

#24 Post by BarryK »

2. My ipw2100 is not detected (like before) and a ipw2200 is, altho Dougal has spend quite some time on this problem his efforts aren't in here. Is this for the final version?
Beem, I don't know anything about this. Can you give a url to the thread where this is discussed?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#25 Post by BarryK »

Marco_Inge wrote:Just booted 2.17 experiment 1 and it recognised my analog modem immediately. The modem is a Trust MD1100 internal.
A quick google, it has a Motorola chipset is all I can find. Good that it works, we can add that to our list of working modems!

One thing I would like to know about. In /etc/rc.d/rc.modem, I'm thinking of commenting-out line 47. This line run the 'setserial' program, but I'm not sure how reliable it is with software modems.

You could test to find out if your modem still works with that line commented-out, but you would have to have a pup-save file so that the edited /etc/rc.d/rc.modem is there at bootup. Perhaps you could create a new pup-save at shutdown and use that at next bootup.
...if possible, I would like to know -- I would hate to go ahead and comment it out, then your modem stops working.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#26 Post by BarryK »

Marco, also, I'm curious what driver is working with your modem? When you start PupDial, at the top it states in bold letters that your modem is found and it gives the device, like this: /dev/something -- what is that "something"?

Marco_Inge

#27 Post by Marco_Inge »

Currently I'm at work using my laptop with windows, I'll check tonight when I'm back home and I'll let you know.

Cheers, Marco

tempestuous

#28 Post by tempestuous »

I just uploaded wireless_tools28 again, this time with the header files included.
I now wonder whether wpa_supplicant needs to be recompiled against these updated Wireless Extensions/Wireless Tools?

And if anyone would care to try the latest PCMCIA utilities in Puppy 2.17 experimental, please download my attachments from the Developer Forum here -
http://www.puppyos.net/forum/?1183467209
http://www.puppyos.net/forum/?1183467315

mmm

#29 Post by mmm »

Group,

I couldn't get puppy-2.17-experiment1-2007june29 to boot. It got stuck at creating "something" during the green part of the startup sript, I can't remember exactly. I can take a photo if I can get the camera to work.

I used the boot parameter puppy pfix=ram, then I did the former in conjunction with removing my pup_save file and then I did that and removed pup_216.sfs. It stopped at the same point. Any ideas of what I should be doing. Sorry I don't have more to report.

Cheers,

mmm

Puppy 2.16.1 Live CD, 512Mb pup_save.2fs

BarryK
Puppy Master

#30 Post by BarryK »

tempestuous, yes, pcmcia upgrade for the 2.6 kernel has been put off, and put off, then put off some more.... let's see, my laptop has a pcmcia slot, and I also have a network card, and even a true-hardware modem card. It might be a few days away, but I'll try to help out asap.
Thanks for getting this area moving!

kirk

#31 Post by kirk »

Did some more searching on my dell d610 modem 8086:266d :

DESCRIPTION: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 266d KERNEL MODULE: slamr

Turns out it's an HSF modem that needs the non free Conexant driver.

Oh well.

Marco_Inge

#32 Post by Marco_Inge »

BarryK wrote:Marco, also, I'm curious what driver is working with your modem? When you start PupDial, at the top it states in bold letters that your modem is found and it gives the device, like this: /dev/something -- what is that "something"?
/dev/ttySL0

k4bbob

Puppy 2.17 experimental & BCM4306 Broadcom Wireless Chip

#33 Post by k4bbob »

Booted with multi-session cd on my Dell Latitude D800 laptop. This is the first time I could go wifi with the BCM4306 wireless chip in ANY Linux without using ndiswrapper. It configures WPA connection with no problem.

However, must reconfigure on re-boot.

Looks good.

zygo

#34 Post by zygo »

Barry,

(Booting 2.17 exp1 from cd with no hd & no pup_save. )

I got nothing back when I ran your grep so I had a look in /var/log/messages. I found some errors at the end regarding fd. Sadly, I didn't copy them but thought they were about detection of the drive at bootup. I found that:

1) with floppy inserted just after boot line 159 was:

Code: Select all

Jul  4 05:40:13 (none) user.info kernel: Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
pmount shows floppy icon and drive was mountable through pmount

2) with no floppy inserted until just before starting pmout line 159 was:

Code: Select all

Jul  4 05:57:57 (none) user.info kernel:  drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
pmount doesn't show floppy icon but the drive is mountable from ROX and with mount-FULL!

This failure did not happen after a reboot. It required a cold start so maybe my floppy drive is too slow in responding to the kernel when it is cold. I don't know.

zygo

#35 Post by zygo »

Barry,

(Booting 2.17 exp1 from cd with no hd & no pup_save. I have never booted it any other way. )

With regard to puppyserialdetect: After help from Jesse I have to apolgise. I lead you to believe that I had 2 copies of the program but I didn't.

So the real mystery remains: both 1.1g and 1.2 detected my modem but my modem is not detected at bootup of 2.17 exp1! Now the successful detections were while running 2.16.1.

I thought I'd have a go at modifying pupdial so that it could read my wvdial.conf properly. And it worked I got online!

- I changed how the init strings are read - everything after '= ' (I don't know if this is safe for all strings)
- It reads all 3 init strings now.
- I changed the gui to accomodate longer strings.
- Finally, I changed the bit that saves the ENTRYINITnM's.

Now, I don't understand all the code. I have been meaning to look at gins doc etc but I haven't. I just hacked away. Anyway...
Attachments
pupdial-2.zip
(2.94 KiB) Downloaded 657 times