Skipping Sound: SOLVED

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
dembola

Skipping Sound: SOLVED

#1 Post by dembola »

I'd like to preface this by saying that Puppy is a fantastic distribution - much more stable and consistent than previous distributions that I've tried. The save function that saves all changes instead of just backing up specified directories is especially useful.

I am experiencing a weird problem with sound on my Gateway laptop. I searched on the forum but found nothing resembling my problem. Here are my specs:
Gateway MX6437 laptop running Puppy 2.16.1
Sound card is a ATI-IXP SB400 Conexant AC 97 (or this is what my Knoppix live cd tells me - I think the Conexant AC 97 actually refers to the modem driver)

I do have sound - however, it skips and cannot be listened to. For example, when you first start up Puppy it gives you the opening screen in Sea Monkey and barks 2 times. When I start it up, I get six cut-off barks. When I try to play music, for about ten to thirty seconds it plays fine. Then it starts skipping horribly and plays short segments multiple times in a row.

When I run the ALSA wizard, it finds the driver for my sound card. When I do the test, I get one of two things - it seems random which one I get:
1) it works and I get a positive test
2) it barks at me endlessly until I close the window.

Does anyone have any suggestions for trying to fix this problem with the sound?

EDIT: This problem is now solved. I didn't really do anything - I just ran the ALSA sound wizard a couple times. I am running off a Multisession DVD on my laptop.