Latest .config for 2.6.21.x kernel

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tempestuous

#16 Post by tempestuous »

It's not as easy as that. All modules must be compiled against the particular kernel configuration to be compatible.
In theory, it would still be possible to have 2 different kernels plus 2 different sets of /lib/modules, but Puppy includes many 3rd party modules, and each 3rd party module would need to be compiled twice. Barry is spending a weekend just compiling one set.

Then there would be different interpretations of what constitutes "advanced". Many people want SMP, but there are others who want the low-latency patches. The low-latency camp may not want SMP, and vice-versa.
Oops, we now have 4 versions of the Puppy kernel.
And what about 64 bit enhancements? Oh dear.

craftybytes

#17 Post by craftybytes »

OK..OK.. :roll:

Thought it might be a way of quieting the mob.. :P

Looks like my 'understanding' of the ins-&-outs of Linux needs some updating.. :roll:

Cheers..

crafty..
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

Ted Dog

menu config and Dvb

#18 Post by Ted Dog »

Since prior to last kernel config I have used the load the old config and questioned me only on changes.
Using menuconfig fresh from unpacking, does not setup DVB correctly even when I open each tree and make modules of everything related. I have not figured why this is but cutting and pasting that section prior to running make from old config from a known working prior kernel has always worked for me.

the tickless option (if my memory is halfway Ok) is the IRQ method change I was glowing about eariler.

SMP has worked for all hardware that currently boot for me, with no noticable change.

Ted Dog

DVB config

#19 Post by Ted Dog »

#
# Digital Video Broadcasting Devices
#
CONFIG_DVB_CORE_ATTACH=y

# Customise DVB Frontends
#
CONFIG_DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE=y

CONFIG_VIDEO_VIDEOBUF=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_TUNER=m
#### Read Write DVD iso, still a dream away
CONFIG_ZISOFS_FS=y

-----------------
The DVB section looks great, only 2 critical flags missed, and one config _VIDEOBUF missing.
Ted