Truecrypt 4.3a for Puppy 216

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#1 Post by GuestToo »

This is a command line program.

Compiled and tested on Puppy 216. This package will not work if you have a different kernel. The package seems to work on my machine. (Compiled with kirk's kernel source sfs).

I have not made a gui (for example, drag a Truecrypt volume file to a desktop icon to mount it automatically) or an uninstaller yet.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCrypt
Last edited by GuestToo on Tue 22 May 2007, 03:22, edited 3 times in total.

Gekko

#2 Post by Gekko »

Why wouldn't it work on any version than 2.16 and why did you make a .pup and not a .pet if it is 2.16 only?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Although the kernel got an extra patch (ksize) for 2.16, plus some small changes the the '.config', earlier modules will still work, and probably vice-versa. So, G2's module should work on older puppies.

Regarding .pup versus .pet, G2 is at liberty to use whatever he wants. Both will achieve his aim which is to install the module.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

Why wouldn't it work on any version than 2.16
it might work on other versions of Puppy, but i have only tested it on Puppy 216

Truecrypt uses a kernel module truecrypt.ko, and it uses dm-mod.ko ... kernel modules usually do not work properly unless they were compiled for a specific kernel

anyone can try installing the package on another version of Puppy ... just unzip the package and copy the files to appropriate locations in the file system ... it's also necessary to setup a device mapper node, look in the dotpup.sh script to see how

right now, i'm not sure how well the package will work for other people ... it seems to work on my machine, i tested it with volume files, including volume files that were created by Truecrypt installed on WinXP, but i did not test it on encrypted partitions ... at this point, it is still an experimental package

about 2/3 of the size of the package is the pdf file, so i split the package

the dotpup script seems to be still installed in Puppy 216, so dotpup packages should still work (just download the file and click it to install) ... it is very easy for me to make a dotpup package, and i like the simplicity of dotpup packages ... the dotpet package management system is quite new and still has some bugs, for example, it's possible to corrupt the dotpet configuration files, which makes the list of installed packages appear to be empty ... and this package is very simple, it's just a command line executable and a couple of kernel modules

i didn't include a dm-crypt.ko module, because it didn't seem to need it, and the Truecrypt documentation says that device mapper is needed, but it doesn't say that dm-crypt is needed ... if you need the dm-crypt.ko file, it can be downloaded from the Puppy website at ibiblio.org

kkpity

#5 Post by kkpity »

Thanks GuestToo for providing this package!

I was using puppy 2.13 and I was reluctant to change to 2.16 due a lot of work to do to install truecrypt.

Now I'm using 2.16 with truecrypt.

This is wonderful for me.

Thanks again

kkpity
Linux user #388359 (http://counter.li.org/)

rrolsbe

Can't create encrypted container?

#6 Post by rrolsbe »

First off thanks for the truecrypt package.

I can mount a truecrypt container created using Windows but a container created using puppy will not mount. Please see dialog below, am I doing something wrong, any ideas???

NOTE: Asecure.con was create with truecrypt using windows

sh-3.00# truecrypt /mnt/home/Asecure.con /mnt/data
Enter password for '/mnt/home/Asecure.con':
sh-3.00# mount
/dev/root on /initrd type ext2 (rw)
tmpfs on /initrd/mnt/tmpfs type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/loop0 on /initrd/pup_ro2 type squashfs (ro,noatime)
/dev/hda1 on /initrd/mnt/dev_save type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other)
/dev/loop1 on /initrd/pup_rw type ext2 (rw,noatime)
/dev/loop3 on /initrd/pup_ro3 type squashfs (ro,noatime)
/dev/loop4 on /initrd/pup_ro4 type squashfs (ro,noatime)
unionfs on / type unionfs (rw,dirs=/initrd/pup_rw=rw:/initrd/pup_ro2=ro:/initrd/pup_ro3=ro:/initrd/pup_ro4=ro,debug=4294967295,delete=whiteout)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/truecrypt0 on /mnt/data type msdos (rw,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437)
sh-3.00# cd /mnt/data
sh-3.00# ls
dd-wrt~1.v23 keep.xls newmic~1.xls ronske~1 system~1
dd-wrt~2.v23 newmex~1.doc recycled ron_st~1

sh-3.00# cd /
sh-3.00# truecrypt -d /mnt/home/Asecure.con
sh-3.00# truecrypt -c
Volume type:
1) Normal
2) Hidden
Select [1]: 1

Enter file or device path for new volume: /root/test_container
Filesystem:
1) FAT
2) None
Select [1]: 1

Enter volume size (bytes - size/sizeK/sizeM/sizeG): 1M

Hash algorithm:
1) RIPEMD-160
2) SHA-1
3) Whirlpool
Select [1]:

Encryption algorithm:
1) AES
2) Blowfish
3) CAST5
4) Serpent
5) Triple DES
6) Twofish
7) AES-Twofish
8) AES-Twofish-Serpent
9) Serpent-AES
10) Serpent-Twofish-AES
11) Twofish-Serpent
Select [1]:

Enter password for new volume '/root/test_container':
Re-enter password:

Enter keyfile path [none]:

TrueCrypt will now collect random data.

Is your mouse connected directly to computer where TrueCrypt is running? [Y/n]: Y

Please move the mouse randomly until the required amount of data is captured...
Mouse data captured: 100%

Done: 1.00 MB Speed: 0.93 MB/s Left: 0:00:00
Volume created.

sh-3.00# cd /root/
sh-3.00# ls -al test_container
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1048576 2007-05-23 07:29 test_container
sh-3.00# truecrypt /root/test_container /mnt/data
Enter password for '/root/test_container':
Failed to assign loopback device for file-hosted volume

kirk

#7 Post by kirk »

I no nothing about truecrypt other than windows uses it. That said it, looks like your trying to mount a loopback device from /root. That usually doesn't work. Move your file to /mnt/home and try it. I think this is a problem because puppy's file system is on a looback device and you're trying to connect another loopback device from with in it.

rrolsbe

Mounting truecrypt file contained inside pup_save

#8 Post by rrolsbe »

Kirk

I was hoping to store my truecrypt password container inside of my encrypted pup_save file. Storing a truecrypt container inside a truecrypt container also failed. I thought truecrypt could be nested.

Thanks Much for your post
Regards
Ron

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

i don't think you can mount a Truecrypt volume file that is inside the pup_save file, because you are trying to mount a loop device in another loop device ... if anyone knows how to do it, please post the solution

i think the volume file needs to be outside of the pup_save file, for example, it can be beside the pup_save file, in /mnt/home/

you seem to be able to create a volume file in a pup_save file, and you seem to be able to move it from the pup_save file to another partition, and back again ... WARNING, i seem to have read somewhere that moving a volume file (for example, a file might be moved when the file system is defragged) can leave a copy of the volume file that can be compared to the volume file after changes are made, which can make it easier the break the encryption ... if you defrag the drive or move or copy a Truecrypt volume file, it might be a good idea to erase the free space on the file system by filling it with zeros or random characters

creating a hidden volume in a volume file seems to work ... read the documentation in truecrypt.1.html, especially the Examples section

when you create a hidden volume in a volume file, it should have a different password to the outer volume ... when you mount the volume file, if you use the passowrd for the outer volume, it mounts the outer volume ... if you use the password for the inner volume, it mounts the inner volume

NOTE: you may need to click the refresh button at the top of a Rox window if you mount a different volume to the same mount point ... Rox might still have the list of files and icons from the other file system in it's cache, and it will look like the other volume is mounted, but it really isn't

NOTE: before unmounting the volume file, you should probably close and Rox windows that are showing the files in the volume file, or at least display another directory ... or the volume file might not unmount because it is "busy"

NOTE: you usually want the outer volume to be a FAT file system (just press enter to choose FAT by default) ... read the documentation

Example:

make a 100 meg volume file in /mnt/home:
truecrypt --type normal --size 100M -c /mnt/home/volume.tc

make a 50 meg hidden volume in the volume file:
truecrypt --type hidden --size 50M -c /mnt/home/volume.tc

mount the outer volume so that the inner volume is protected:
truecrypt -P /mnt/home/volume.tc /mnt/data

copy some files to the outer volume, then unmount the volume file:
truecrypt -d /tmp/volume.tc

now, you should be able to mount and use the inner volume by mounting the volume file and using the password for the inner volume:
truecrypt /mnt/home/volume.tc /mnt/data

you can mount the outer volume the exact same way (for example, under threat of violence) by using the password for the outer volume:
truecrypt /mnt/home/volume.tc /mnt/data

i think if you add files to the outer volume when it is mounted this way, without the -P option, it can corrupt the files in the inner volume ... you usually would not mount the outer volume that way

it seems to work, except i don't think you can mount a volume file that is inside a pup_save file

i have not tried encrypting entire partitions with Truecrypt, but it should work about the same as a loop mounted file

John Doe

Re: Mounting truecrypt file contained inside pup_save

#10 Post by John Doe »

rrolsbe wrote:...store my truecrypt password container inside of my encrypted pup_save file
if you mean the "critical data block" that should work ok.

make sure you move the actual data file outside, like the other guys say.

kirk

#11 Post by kirk »

I was hoping to store my truecrypt password container inside of my encrypted pup_save file.
A mystery wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce.

ipw2200user

A Truecrypt pup - nice addition!

#12 Post by ipw2200user »

I've run a few versions of puppy, and I run Truecrypt in XP. What a great combination for a memory stick!

1. Bootable puppy with truecrypt installed.
2. Windows installer to access truecrypt files.
3. Encrypted files 8-)

This is a fantastic addition to puppy, I hope it's added to 2.1x!

regards
JAMES

mlamelas

Change from 216 beta to final

#13 Post by mlamelas »

I have run into a curious problem between 216 beta and the final 216 related to Truecrypt. I compiled tc with 2.16 beta, and was able to mount a volume that was located in /root (eg, truecrypt /root/tcvolume.tc /mnt/tcfile/) without a problem. When I copied over the sfs files from the final version of 216, I now get the loopback device error referred to in an earlier thread. Any idea what could have changed from 216 beta to the final version?

I will try the suggestion to put the tcfile outside of the pup_save to see if my problem goes away.

Thanks,

Mel

oliver69

file and folder name length

#14 Post by oliver69 »

hi, i have mounted an external hdd which was formated by the windows version of truecrypt. i can access all files and folders and also add stuff, the only problem i have at the moment is that with longer folder and file names only a part is shown with ~ in the name. Is there an option to switch to the displaying of the full name?

kkpity

#15 Post by kkpity »

Hi oliver69

To fix the 8.3 names you have to use the following command when monting the volumes:

truecrypt --mount-options "rw,sync,utf8,uid=1000,umask=0007" <your volume name> <mount dir>

Basically¸ the option utf8 is the one that fix the 8.3 issue but the others ones should be useful.

Regards¸

kkpity
Linux user #388359 (http://counter.li.org/)

oliver69

#16 Post by oliver69 »

Hello kkpity,

thank's alot - work's perfectly!

oliver69

#17 Post by oliver69 »

i have a external drive with a truecrypt filesystem generated with the windows version. I can mount and acces the filesystem without any problems, but two things are strange:
- the owner is always 1000 and can not be changed (chown = operation not permittet)
- change of the rights change only owner and group, never world.
- chmod -R 644 affects only folders not the files.

oliver69

#18 Post by oliver69 »

ok found the problem....stupid mount options....

Taavi

#19 Post by Taavi »

I can make a volume but when I try to mount it I get this:
FATAL: Module truecrypt not found.
Failed to load TrueCrypt kernel module
#

I have Puppy 2.17.

Taavi

rrolsbe

Truecrypt in Puppy 2.17

#20 Post by rrolsbe »

Since the kernel was updated for puppy version 2.17, I think the truecrypt puppy package and/or needed modules need to be recompiled.