How do you use EZPup 2.17R2

Booting, installing, newbie
jacatone

How do you use EZPup 2.17R2

#1 Post by jacatone »

I downloaded and installed the EZPup 2.17R2 and rebooted but nothing happened. It did remove all of the programs on the left side of the Pup program manager. How do you use this program? Thanks.

Eyes-Only

#2 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Jacatone,

Hmm... sounds to me like you may have not given the EZpup file enough time to install maybe? I'm just curious here but did it seem to take like a very long time for it to install, maybe 5 or more minutes, at which point you got a notice at the end that it had indeed finished installing?

EZpup is like a 14meg file but it's very highly compressed---as by the time it has finished installing around 70megs of programmes and such have been installed onto your computer. Wow... now that takes a lot of time even for my fast processor to work.

Once it's finished installing and you reboot? Then you are greeted with a blue wallpaper that has a dog on it (Irish Setter I think?), and the IceWM window manager using the "Vista_Black_IV" theme by WhoDo, along with not only your usual Puppy programmes---but many more all throughout the Start Menu.

If this is not what you got then chances are it either didn't fully install, or was a corrupted download. (It does come with an md5sum for checking the file to see if the download was good, did you do this?) And so my suggestion would be to try running the file again and waiting until it's finished---but also doing an md5sum of it.

I have the file burnt to a disk and even when moving it to another Puppy hard drive install I still do the md5sum as sometimes moving from CD to hard drive, or even partition-to-partition, can corrupt an otherwise "normal" file. This has been my experience anyway.

Good luck Jacatone! You WILL find EZpup worth it. I sure do and wouldn't use Puppy without it! :)

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

jacatone

#3 Post by jacatone »

Thanks, how do I run this md5sum on the EzPup file?

Eyes-Only

#4 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Jacatone :)

What I do is open a Rox window where the file is located (even in my other two distros I've installed Rox---that's how much I like it!), then I right-click on an empty space and go down to "Window>Open terminal here". That will open up an rvxt terminal for you in that directory where you have your EZpup file.

Then you would type: "md5sum EZpup " (without quotes) and you can either tap the tabkey to have rvxt finish the word, or type the entire word---but if you type the entire file name be sure to make no mistakes. When finished press the keyboard's "enter" key. Depending upon the size of the file the md5sum number can appear immediately, or take several seconds/minutes.

Make sure you have the EZpup md5sum file which WhoDo provided with the .pup as that contains the number by which you compare to make sure you have a proper, non-corrupted, download. For the record, as you may not have the file, the number is: aff9c25384605438c58f7935fee0d246 (This is for EZpup-2.1.7R2.pet I should mention!) So if the number in your rvxt terminal does NOT match what I've given here then your download is corrupted. Try downloading the file and re-installing again after running a new md5sum on the newly downloaded file and being prepared to wait as instructed above. Okie-dokie? :)

I hope this helped Jacatone? Sorry for the delay in getting back to you as I was between reboots.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*