wakepup2 and 166mhz laptop with 48 MB RAM

Booting, installing, newbie
John Doe

#31 Post by John Doe »

snow-ice wrote:...I believe puppy started to load. It is now stuck.
I'm making another one with a menu selection for this:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 595#123595

I think that might be what you need.

@Sage and others...

What's your take on himem support? Should I throw that in? and most importantly does it require a menu select also (I can do it)? I'm wondering if anyone knows of any instances of himem causing a problem booting, other than the mention in the comments of a tiny.exe problem (we aren't using that anyway).

I was considering adding it because my "flagship 75mhz box" won't boot, but now I just added it and it still won't boot. Maybe it's days are over :cry:

I get

Read error
High mem corrupted - not exiting to DOS

Perhaps swapping some EDO sticks will help....

Sage

#32 Post by Sage »

Afraid I can't help. Never saw the wisdom of a Frugal install - might as well extract and use all the files as normal files; HD space is rarely an issue.
Never use multiboot, either - recipe for disaster. Either use caddies or a liveCD/USB fob/CF.
Time to leave 'doze behind.

John Doe

#33 Post by John Doe »

Sage wrote:Afraid I can't help. Never saw the wisdom of a Frugal install...
I was begging your advice on hardware as it relates to himem, install type had nothing to do with my inquiry.
Sage wrote:Time to leave 'doze behind.
we're using FreeDOS ;-)

Sage

#34 Post by Sage »

I prefer DRDOS - still the best if you use the third party updates. You can check memory with <memtest>, although you can bypass the himem test either by writing it out with a switch in your config.sys or using a keypress at start up. I forget the details - been a while since I confronted those issues. Easier to swap memory strips. I've got boxloads to choose from. Don't forget, in the olden dayes, there were always compatibility issues between different strips. And don't forget that 'double-sided' does NOT refer to chips being on both sides of the pcb!

John Doe

#35 Post by John Doe »

Sage wrote:...compatibility issues between different strips...
it booted before. perhaps i used one of my other two boot images. tried with both himem and without it. thanks for the config switches. even went so far as to manually add and remove himem driver. no luck either way. betting on physical problem.

as far as i made it today is here (hope to get "snow-ice" going with choice #3 [LOTS of new menu choices])..

file is here now:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 924#122924

*removed himem, it sucked. my machine wouldn't boot with it in there. turned out the be the CD ROM was the problem and I was just grasping at straws.
Last edited by John Doe on Sun 15 Jul 2007, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#36 Post by Sage »

You're in luck! Barry has just announced a new wakeup call:
http://www.puppylinux.com/news/

BarryK
Puppy Master

#37 Post by BarryK »

I put the first one that john posted. It looks like its a "work in progress" though!

cthisbear

#38 Post by cthisbear »

I hope this is what you want.

" John Doe

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15946

How to run Puppy on 75mhz with 40 megs of EDO RAM

Maybe should have called this Dingo Puppy.
Lobster your thoughts needed here....Puppy Dingo...very Aussie

Chris

Sage

#39 Post by Sage »

Talking of lo-end HW, I have just acquired one of those PCChips-from-h*ll TXPro jobbies with a Out house sink mounted next to the chipset.
Stuffed a Cx333 (first thing that came to hand) in it and 64Mb of SDRAM. Had to drop the on-board memory from 8Mb to 4Mb and it started up OK from liveCD only. Network + Dillo was instantly active. Video was grisly and I gave up waiting for Seamonster. Adding another 64Mb strip cured everything, esp. as it was possible to raise the shared video to 8Mb. Have lost the incentive to try the miserable little AMR modem - suspect I know the answer. Next trick will be to try it with a P75 and a modicum of swap space. Thing that was most surprising was that, with adequate memory, Puppy performs almost as well on this abomination as on state-of-the-art kit. Why this Forum should attract so many young stags with go-faster-striped boxes defies the imagination.

Sage

#40 Post by Sage »

...with more devastating results than even I expected. Adding an old 210 HD dedicated as swap virtually killed off any performance this old crock ever had. From the off, I could hear the HD rattle into action, when it would've been totally unnecessary without it. The slowing down was immediately apparent and this continued throughout boot up and running apps.
I've been warning about judicial use of swap space for more than a year, against a pile of alternative bad advice. So here we have it. The same sort of things that happen with 'doze happen in Linux - one sniff of swap and the system will use it with terrible consequences. Keep it very small and only use it when system resources are, in a nut shell, inadequate without it. Layering on tons of the stuff is a thoroughly bad idea.

snow-ice

#41 Post by snow-ice »

I'm still trying here. I am havig trouble getting windows to preload one of the files from the cd. Before it fully loads, the computer stops loading from the cd. I have done many reloads of windows. If I format the hdd, can I load puppy directly to the hdd. When I tried this, I had no cd drive support. Can I load a driver to similar to the one on the win98 start disk to drive the cd drive?

Thanks,
Greg

algotr

Setting VGA-mode with WakePup2

#42 Post by algotr »

John Doe said on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:47 pm:
Here is wakepup2 tuned up. I fixed up the command line limit by writting all the boot options to a file at linld/puppy.lin dynamically. Also added a second menu for pfix ram and nox options (all possibilites).

*edit-no longer true ->All changes where in autoexec.bat

Do not be concerned with the contents of linld/puppy.lin. It is only there so it doesn't error when deleted.

I also changed the messaged displayed at runtime to say version 0.3, so people would know. I kept the 2 on the file name so the scripts that call it won't need changed.
Unfourtunatly linld doesn't work with vga= option in a file, it has to be on the commandline, preferably before the cl= option.

If last lines in AutoExec.BAT reads

Code: Select all

:load
LINLD.COM image=%drv%\vmlinuz initrd=%drv%\initrd.gz %vga% cl=@linld\puppy.lin

goto end
it will work much better! (Notice the %vga% on the command line.)

Regards,

/ Algot Runebjörk
Last edited by algotr on Sun 12 Aug 2007, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

jonyo

Re: wakepup2 and 166mhz laptop with 48 MB RAM

#43 Post by jonyo »

snow-ice wrote:I am trying to install puppy on an IBM 166mhz, 48 mb ram. I am using wakepup and tried versions puppy versions 2.14 and 2.16. Everything with wakepup works good until I come to this error. (Linld v 0.97 cant't open kernel file) then the A prompt. This is my first linux attempt and if I can get this to work, I'll dump the MS evil empires software on all 5 computers in the house. I will try ubuntu on the newer boxes but I hope pup can save this old laptop. Thanks All.
I'm fiddlin with a ibm 380 ED p150 32 megs a ram. Supposed to be non bootable from cd but ended up bootin win 98 & gparted live cd (though it hung & didn't fully open).

Tried out a buncha 2x variant pups & no boot. Then tried out a buncha 2Xs with a wake floppy, again no boot & gave up that day.

Then tried out a wake floppy (outa 2.17) with pup vers 2.01 & outa the blue, booted to a start screen but with poor graphics & was very slow (couldn't use gparted). Ram's in the mail so I'll have ~ 80 megs total & see what happens then.

Bottom line is with the current setup, the only boot I got with a wake floppy was with pup vers 2.01. The wake floppy didn't even recognize the other 2x variants I tried (no pup
files found). Might try 2.01

John Doe

Re: Setting VGA-mode with WakePup2

#44 Post by John Doe »

algotr wrote:it will work much better! (Notice the %vga% on the command line.)
yes, i see what you have done.

i'll test that out and work it into the next version.

i'm going to work out a hardware driver menu tonight.

jonyo

#45 Post by jonyo »

Not sure what the deal is here anymore but wake floppy boots 2x pup vers to a start screen on my ibm 380 ed lap p166mmx with 32 megs ram. So figure you should be able to do the same with yours If not ~ better with 48 megs a ram.

Barely ran (& booted sloow) then & don't remember if I was able to add a swap partition at the time, but once I maxed out the ram to 80 megs (~20 bucks), I'm able to run recent 2x variants live cd half decent.with a 160 meg swap partition & a save file to HD..