How To update to SeaMonkey 1.1.1

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Bruce B

How To update to SeaMonkey 1.1.1

#1 Post by Bruce B »

How to update SeaMonkey to version 1.1.1

The test environment for this How-To was Puppy 2.14 with an option 2 install. I expect it to work with other install types and Puppy versions 2.xx, but its not tested with other combinations.

The installation location is not arbitrary at all, but for the purpose of brevity, I'm using /opt/seamonkey and all commands and instructions will reflect that location as required. When I start a line with # that means we are using the command prompt and the words to follow are the commands to enter.

(1) Download newest version of SeaMonkey from

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

save it to download location of choice

(2) Installation procedure

# mkdir -p /opt/seamonkey

cd to the download location

# tar -xvzf seamonkey-1.1.1.en-US.linux-686.installer.tar.gz

# cd seamonkey-1.1.1.en-US.linux-686.installer

# ./seamonkey-installer

This brings up a GUI interface. Make location at /opt/seamonkey and choose custom options as you please. Follow the prompts in the installer interface until done.

(3) Configuring Seamonkey to work with Puppy

# cd /usr/lib

# ln -sf /opt/seamonkey mozilla

Verify that the new symlink is pointing to /opt/seamonkey

# ls -l mozilla

Should output mozilla -> /opt/seamonkey

# cd seamonkey-1.0.6

verify you are in /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6

# pwd

# cp mozilla-bin /opt/seamonkey

# leafpad /opt/seamonkey/mozilla-bin

Edit two lines in mozilla.bin to reflect the changes in path. Example to follow:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

#hack to fix a bug...
DEPFND="`ldd /opt/seamonkey/components/libgfx_gtk.so | grep 'libpangoxft'`"

[ "$DEPFND" = "" ] && export LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so.0"

#v2.14 Billcnz found that disabling pango considerably speeds page rendering time
#on older CPUs (official builds do not have --enable-pango)...
export MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1

exec /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey-bin $@ 
I have an idea that it might be advantageous to delete your old profile and start with defaults, then make your own preferences. If you remove the old configuration directory, a new one will be automagically created.

# rm -rf /root/.mozilla

Note: save your bookmarks first.

(4) Check plugins

If for some reason extra plugins have been installed in the old SeaMonkey, you can open a couple ROX windows, (1) at /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/plugins and (2) at /opt/seamonkey/plugins, compare differences and determine if some copying is in order.

(5) Regression test

Check if things are working right by clicking on various menu items, such as SeaMonkey Mail and News, SeaMonkey web browser, and Seamonkey Composer. Check help > about to verify that you are indeed running version 1.1.1

Done!

-------------------------

How to undo update and revert to SeaMonkey 1.0.6, if for some reason you want or need to

delete /opt/seamonkey and all its contents with the following command:

# rm -rf /opt/seamonkey

or use ROX to delete because rm really works and if you enter the wrong path, wrong files will be missing.

# cd /usr/lib

# ln -sf seamonkey-1.0.6 mozilla

------------

Complaints or comments?
Last edited by Bruce B on Mon 02 Apr 2007, 23:15, edited 3 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Bruce B, what do the default font sizes look like with the official 1.1.1 build? -- particularly the menu.
Note, in the seup it may be set to using 'sans' as the main font, but "DejaVu Sans" is better. -- if you are using a Puppy version that has DejaVu Sans, 2.13 or later I think.

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

Barry,

In this case a picture is better than words.
Attachments
font-sample-1.1.1.png
(13.44 KiB) Downloaded 1460 times

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Menu font sample as picture
Attachments
menu-font-sample.png
(18.73 KiB) Downloaded 1707 times

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

Barry,

My question: Having read it, do you think I missed something?

TIA

Bruce

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Bruce B, your install seems okay.
But, are the menu fonts the same size as in other GTK2 apps like Abiword?

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

Barry,

Here is a picture of the abiword menu.

My problem is that I installed MS True Types, and I can't tell you for sure that they aren't being used. I don't think so, but I thought since fonts sizes are what you are asking about, I'd inform you of this detail.

Bruce
Attachments
abiword-menu-fonts.png
AbiWord drop down menu fonts
(19.56 KiB) Downloaded 1693 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

The test environment for this How-To was Puppy 2.14 with an option 2 install. I expect it to work with other install types and Puppy versions 2.xx, but its not tested with other combinations.
:)

Tried it in 2.15 RC3a
(1) Download newest version of SeaMonkey from
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
OK
downloaded the Linux version OK (went into tmp directory)
It also tried to auto expand - did not allow that
I dragged the tar file to "My-applications" using Rox

clicked on seamonkey-1.1.1.en-US.linux-686.installer.tar.gz
in Rox to expand (did not work from CLI console)

in the "seamonkey-installer" directory that was created
I clicked on the installer

This brings up a GUI interface. Make location at /opt/seamonkey and choose custom options as you please. Follow the prompts in the installer interface until done.
I went for customisation - that went well

then I right clicked on the "browser" icon on the desktop and edited the text it contains

changed to this

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey "$@"
clicked on the browser icon
and am editing this from 1.1.1

NB: that is as far as I have got - the spell checking is working. Will report back if I need to do the other stuff you mention . . .

Many thanks

update:

seems unstable :oops:
so for now am using Firefox
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

Lobster,

I appreciate your feedback, especially articulating how you did it. I would be surprised is SeaMonkey was stable and worked right.

The procedure you described would be fine for Opera or Firefox, but not for SeaMonkey on Puppy.

The primary reason being is that Puppy sets up variables for SeaMonkey which it doesn't set up for the other browsers.

This is an example from /etc/profile

MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/usr/lib/mozilla"
# MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="/root/plugins"
export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME #MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH
Note that MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME variable is not pointing to your new SeaMonkey directory, rather the old SeaMonkey directory.

If the variable MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME exists, as it does in Puppy, it becomes is a major override of default behavior.

I think because of this alone, you are running a potential hodgepodge of SeaMonkey parts, which are not designed to work together.

Before writing the how-to, I followed the scripts used in running SeaMonkey in order to, (1) figure out what Puppy is doing and (2) make the new SeaMonkey cooperate with how Puppy wants to do it.

There are two crucial steps for seamless and stable operation:

(1) change the symlink /usr/lib/mozilla to point to your new location

(2) copy mozilla-bin to your new location and edit the paths in that file.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

MonkeySea Monkey do

#10 Post by Lobster »

Thanks Bruce

I used 1.1 in an Alpha of 2.14 (I think it was) and liked it very much. Sadly people had difficulties with it crashing - I did not. Barry reverted to 1.08 which had some of the improvements backported - but the spell checker was lost. :cry:

I appreciate your efforts and hope others will try the whole process. To be honest I get easily bored and if I 'stuff up' (an Oz expression I believe) I just kinda copy a few files to my HD and boot again by typing 'puppy pfix=ram' - which is what I did after Firefox too was crashing in Puppy Viz.

Initially I used this fresh install policy to learn about Puppy but I also find it a good way of keeping a 'tight ship' (a nautical expression)

There is no doubt we will move to 1.1.1 in 2.16 or 2.17 unless Barry succumbs to the Phatom of the Opera (a Lobster expression) but for now we need testers to ensure 1.1.1 is working

Who is up for it? :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Bruce B

#11 Post by Bruce B »

Oh yeah the old spell checking issue again?

Soem of us illiterates, dyslexics and fat fingers really n3eed the spell checker.

Soem is what us dyslexics do

n3eed is what us fat fingers do

I think I'm both and a little illerate to boot.
----------

As far as I can tell the How-To is accurate. I'll update it as needed.

I'm debating on the importance of deleting the root/.mozilla directory. If it has much user data, it's destructive. If it doesn't, I'd highly recommend deleting it - for a fresh start and truly clean install.

The crashing issue with 1.1, I think is a crashing issue with 1.1, it happens occasionally when clicking on a link. And its a major crash, insofar as SeaMonkey goes down. None of it hangs in memory, and restarting it is all that is needed to get going again. You can't pull up the history to find out what link you clicked on, because it gets lost in the crash.

Turn JavaScript off and it doesn't crash. I have an idea that the crashing occurs not so much as a result as clicking on a mal-formed JavaScript link, rather when executing perhaps mal-JavaScript on the page you are newly accessing. But I can't say, it all happens so fast.

I've not got enough statistic with 1.1.1 to say much, but it's my suspicion that whatever it is, this is a SeaMonkey related issue and not Puppy.

rajeshh

Having issue with the menu fonts...

#12 Post by rajeshh »

Hello, I followed your steps to upgrade to 1.1.2, but am seeing an issue with the menu fonts etc as BarryK described...

First they were much bigger in size. Then I removed the ~/.mozilla folder, and now they are really small..

I found some online resources on customizing the menu fonts etc by creating a userChrome.css in the <profile>/chrome folder which seemed to be the ~/.mozilla/chrome folder but doing that didn't seem to have any effect.

I also tried renaming the userChrome-examples.css ( somewhere under the seamonkey installation) to userChome.css as some site suggested, but no luck.

Any help?

thanks

Bruce B

#13 Post by Bruce B »

I think the chrome.css file you activated by naming it properly will have effect AS you modify it.

What I use is the interface: Edit > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts

Also, on some pages a simple CTRL + or Ctrl - (It's fast and easy)

rajeshh

#14 Post by rajeshh »

>
What I use is the interface: Edit > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts

Is that a way to change the fonts of the Seamonkey menu themselves?

I am not having an issue with the text of the web pages, just SeaMonkey itself...

Bruce B

#15 Post by Bruce B »

Got it.

To take control of your menu and submenu font sizes add this to userChrome.css

/* Global UI font */
* { font-size: 12pt !important;

} 
Play with the point size as you please, 12 will probably be a little large.

Colonel Panic

#16 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for this. I've downloaded Seamonkey 1.1.1 for another distro and shouldn't have any trouble adapting it for Puppy.

Just one problem I've had with the later Seamonkeys though is that the browser doesn't seem to refresh itself automatically when you click on a link you've browsed before, and instead displays the last page you viewed.

Bruce B

#17 Post by Bruce B »

Colonel Panic wrote:Thanks for this. I've downloaded Seamonkey 1.1.1 for another distro and shouldn't have any trouble adapting it for Puppy.

Just one problem I've had with the later Seamonkeys though is that the browser doesn't seem to refresh itself automatically when you click on a link you've browsed before, and instead displays the last page you viewed.
Ctrl r will refresh the page

right click 'reload' will refresh the page

-------------

Or for consistent personalized behavior use menu edit -> preferences -> advanced -> cache and set your options.

Colonel Panic

#18 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for the info. I've set the cache options to "when the page is out of date", and I'll see what happens.

Best,

Colonel Panic.