Latest .config for 2.6.21.x kernel

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

Latest .config for 2.6.21.x kernel

#1 Post by BarryK »

I intend to download the 2.6.21.5 (or later) and do ne more compilation of the kernel. The .config file is attached. You are welcome to examine it and make suggestions (not SMP though).

I'll recompile in a couple of days from now.
Attachments
DOTconfig-K2.6.21.1-20JUN07-9AM.gz
(16.81 KiB) Downloaded 918 times

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

Deleted
Last edited by Béèm on Thu 21 Jun 2007, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Wolf Pup

#3 Post by Wolf Pup »

[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

Dougal

#4 Post by Dougal »

Ok, this might seems a little extreme, but I figured if I do it, I might as well do it properly...

A bit of an analysis of the config files, looking for config options that are new, hence had no entries in the old config file and so might need to be turned on manually.

2.6.18.1==>2.6.21.1

New config options (didn't exist at all before):
CONFIG_SENSORS_ADM1029
CONFIG_SENSORS_PC87427
CONFIG_SENSORS_VT1211
CONFIG_SENSORS_W83793
CONFIG_DVB_DIB7000M
CONFIG_DVB_DIB7000P
CONFIG_SND_AC97_POWER_SAVE
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_KARMA
CONFIG_USB_KC2190
CONFIG_USB_TRANCEVIBRATOR
CONFIG_CRYPTO_GF128MUL
CONFIG_CRYPTO_LRW
CONFIG_CRYPTO_FCRYPT
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CAMELLIA

CONFIG_SENSORS_K8TEMP is new, but I'm not sure about the "TEMP" part...
CONFIG_USB_PHIDGET might be a replacement of PHIDGETKIT and PHIDGETSERVO?
Any reason JFS_DEBUG is on? (maybe turned on automatically?)
CONFIG_GFS2_FS not set, but I don't know if we care (what's GFS2?).
Most USB_GADGET drivers aren't set, might be worth looking into.

Entire sections that are new:

Code: Select all

# Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers
#
# CONFIG_ATA is not set

# Multifunction device drivers
#
# CONFIG_MFD_SM501 is not set

# SoC audio support
#
# CONFIG_SND_SOC is not set

# Auxiliary Display support
#
# CONFIG_KS0108 is not set

# Virtualization
#
# CONFIG_KVM is not set

# Distributed Lock Manager
#
# CONFIG_DLM is not set

=================================================================

2.6.16.7==>2.6.18.1==>2.6.21.1

Options that were also not set in the 2.6.18.1, but didn't exist in 2.6.16.7, so might have got missed in that transition...(I'm only including ones that have neighbours that are set, so maybe should be, too.)

CONFIG_RESOURCES_64BIT
CONFIG_IP_NF_H323
CONFIG_IP_NF_SIP
CONFIG_SYS_HYPERVISOR
CONFIG_MTD_NAND_ECC_SMC
CONFIG_PARPORT_AX88796
CONFIG_MD_RAID5_RESHAPE
CONFIG_VIA_RHINE_NAPI
CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS_RTNETLINK
CONFIG_IPW2200_MONITOR
CONFIG_IPW2200_QOS
CONFIG_VT_HW_CONSOLE_BINDING
CONFIG_I2C_OCORES
CONFIG_SENSORS_ABITUGURU
CONFIG_VIDEO_VIVI
CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK
CONFIG_SND_FM801_TEA575X_BOOL
CONFIG_MIDI_VIA82CXXX
CONFIG_USB_TOUCHSCREEN
CONFIG_USB_APPLEDISPLAY
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_XATTR
CONFIG_UFS_FS_WRITE

Sections that were new in 2.6.18.1...

Code: Select all

# LED devices
#
# CONFIG_NEW_LEDS is not set

# Real Time Clock
#
# CONFIG_RTC_CLASS is not set

# DMA Engine support
#
# CONFIG_DMA_ENGINE is not set
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

I'm planning to do the LZMA patch for Squashfs. The reason for this is it now supports squashfs files with either gzip or lzma compression. That is, we can mix-and-match. The old gzip-squashfs files will still work.

For example, there was a suggestion on the forum that the'zdrv_217.sfs' file could be lzma-compressed.

cb88

#6 Post by cb88 »

Barry are you going to compile with the Ck patch that improves resource management and responsiveness? PC's with slow processors low ram or no hardware acceleration could get a good boost from this.

Gekko's post on the Ck patchset:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=18858

EDIT:

scheduler stuff: http://www.xmailserver.org/linux-patches/lnxsched.html
parallelize startup: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux ... -boot.html
discussion of parallelization of boot: http://lwn.net/Articles/50115/
Last edited by cb88 on Fri 22 Jun 2007, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.

craftybytes

#7 Post by craftybytes »

Had a look thru the 'config file' - suggest the following be considered:

Power management options :-
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND

APM ... BIOS Support :-
CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS

Networking options :-
CONFIG_APPD
CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES

Bridge Netfilter Configuration :-
CONFIGBRIDGE_EBT_ULOG

Memory Technology Devices (MTD) :-
CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS

SPI Support :-
CONFIG_SPI
CONFIG_SPI_MASTER

Dallas's 1-Wire bus :-
CONFIG_W1

Multifunction device drivers :-

[ no items listed - should check if needed for multifinction printers/scanners/copiers, etc.. ]

USB DSL Modem support :-

[ no items listed - should check if needed for external ADSL Broadband modems, etc.. ]

Other than the above - most of what the other posters above is very relevant..

crafty.
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

cb88

#8 Post by cb88 »

Gekko mentions that CK patch will be discontinued for future kernels so check this out:
completely fair scheduler looks like it might be newer/better than CK patch
info>>
http://kerneltrap.org/node/8059
patches>>
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/cfs-scheduler/

Also fbui if x fails exit to frambuffer gui with multiple command consoles works only on 2.6.9 kernel according to site maybe could be reworked for 2.6.21 would be really nice for noobs might make puppy the first distro that does not crash to the console.
fbui: http://home.comcast.net/~fbui/

Ted Dog

video modules

#9 Post by Ted Dog »

There exist some where in my past a 2.6.20ish config file that worked perfectly on a full install puppy 2.13 or 2.14. I played with the newest clock stuff and it was more improved for my slowest machine, visually less jumping and percieved better activity level.
I tryed to use the dvb modules you compiled (thank you) but found that some kernel loaded stuff still missing ( symbol problems) however the full compile version (diff config but same kernel) of DVB dropped over yours have the cruff that was missing, and worked without complaint using your kernel version.
Also the added DVB did not change the reported Mbyte size of the zdrv.sfs

So a config cut paste of this section should work. I am only aware of a few new DVB, that is supported.

also SMP vs non-SMP could be revisited the newer clock methods have integrated natively SMB support in a clear deliberate way that should exceed methods used before the either-or SMP models prior. This also touched on the IRQ timing that your hz interrupt logic is based ( paradigms have changed)

Their has been only a few changes in the computer world that I have said to myself that is clearly clever, better and in awe: Forth language, creating C++ from C, puppy version 1.01b CD multisession, TCC boot CD, and the newest kernel clock code.

tempestuous

#10 Post by tempestuous »

Extra wifi functionality -

CONFIG_IPW2100_MONITOR=y
CONFIG_IPW2200_MONITOR=y
CONFIG_IPW2200_RADIOTAP=y
CONFIG_IPW2200_PROMISCUOUS=y
CONFIG_HOSTAP_FIRMWARE=y

TV tuners -

CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848_DVB=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7134_ALSA=m
CONFIG_DVB_USB_DIBUSB_MB_FAULTY=y
CONFIG_DVB_USB_DIB0700=m

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

Regarding patches, I will only do the absolute minimum. I have burnt my fingers in the past, trying "enhancement" patches -- they can have "side effects".

I am being ultra-conservative with the config choices, very mindful of needing to run on old hardware. The kernel help warns about SMP kernel on old hardware, similarly I am concerned about the tickless option.
I'm also sticking with the old IDE drivers, again for compatibility reasons.

You guys have provided lots of suggestions, and I'll go through the menuconfig very carefully, hopefully all the modules you want will be there.

Dougal

#12 Post by Dougal »

tempestuous wrote:CONFIG_IPW2200_PROMISCUOUS=y
That might cause problems with the people working on ChurchPup...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Jesse

#13 Post by Jesse »

Hi Barry,

I'm just curious about the SMP and "old hardware", is there any sort of clarification of what constitues "old hardware"?
I'd hate to think that we were denying ourselves a modern option, without knowing exactly why.
Maybe it refers to old 286 or 386 chipsets? If we are compiling the kernel with 486 instruction set, we're already excluding 286 and 386 chips, so perhaps SMP would be ok.
Are there other reasons for not selecting SMP?

I notice that there is a "nosmp" kernel hint, does a SMP kernel with "nosmp" work on the "old hardware", if so, those with a multi-core cpu can remove that boot option and have the benefit of all their cpus.

Does anyone know of any Linux SMP kernel that didn't run, where a similar kernel version for one cpu did work? what was the cpu?

Jesse

cb88

#14 Post by cb88 »

Kernel "enhancements" have become a small issue around here perhaps a cutdown version of Puppy "dinamite puppy" like vector linux should be considered. should run in 32-24mb ram if possible and have gslapt and petget fbui and vesa only no xorg (at first) smp and scheduler patch and openmosix. I will try next week. how far will I get? well just expect tons of posts from me(that means not far) but it will be a forced learning process I can deal with that.

any help is welcome like tips on getting drivers and kernel compiled putting drivers in the zdrv.sfs building the files making a boot cd.

email me at cusbrar1_at_gmail.com

@Barry I know what you mean about losing support for old hardware I don't want that at all either.

craftybytes

#15 Post by craftybytes »

This might be a bit over the top..(':oops:')

If I understand correctly - 'vmlinuz' - is the "kernel" that is loaded and used (from boot to shutdown) by Puppy when it boots.. :?:

If so then I suggest that 2 x 'vmlinuz' kernel images be constructed - one for 'low end' processor (older) machines - and one for 'high end' processor (newer) machines - with the 'high end' kernel being configured with most of the "extra" options more suitable for such machines (including maybe 'smp', etc..).. :idea:

Then in the initial 'boot script' - an option to select which 'vmlinuz' to load by the user - OR - including a 'function' in the boot script to check for which type of processor is installed to the machine - and then automatically selecting the correct 'vmlinuz' to load.. :?:

This would make the argument for not including the more advanced 'config options' for the kernel compiles a moot point - as the only "kernel" that would be loaded to a machine would be dependent on what type of processor is installed.. :!:

My $0.02c's worth...

crafty..
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

tempestuous

#16 Post by tempestuous »

It's not as easy as that. All modules must be compiled against the particular kernel configuration to be compatible.
In theory, it would still be possible to have 2 different kernels plus 2 different sets of /lib/modules, but Puppy includes many 3rd party modules, and each 3rd party module would need to be compiled twice. Barry is spending a weekend just compiling one set.

Then there would be different interpretations of what constitutes "advanced". Many people want SMP, but there are others who want the low-latency patches. The low-latency camp may not want SMP, and vice-versa.
Oops, we now have 4 versions of the Puppy kernel.
And what about 64 bit enhancements? Oh dear.

craftybytes

#17 Post by craftybytes »

OK..OK.. :roll:

Thought it might be a way of quieting the mob.. :P

Looks like my 'understanding' of the ins-&-outs of Linux needs some updating.. :roll:

Cheers..

crafty..

Ted Dog

menu config and Dvb

#18 Post by Ted Dog »

Since prior to last kernel config I have used the load the old config and questioned me only on changes.
Using menuconfig fresh from unpacking, does not setup DVB correctly even when I open each tree and make modules of everything related. I have not figured why this is but cutting and pasting that section prior to running make from old config from a known working prior kernel has always worked for me.

the tickless option (if my memory is halfway Ok) is the IRQ method change I was glowing about eariler.

SMP has worked for all hardware that currently boot for me, with no noticable change.

Ted Dog

DVB config

#19 Post by Ted Dog »

#
# Digital Video Broadcasting Devices
#
CONFIG_DVB_CORE_ATTACH=y

# Customise DVB Frontends
#
CONFIG_DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE=y

CONFIG_VIDEO_VIDEOBUF=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_TUNER=m
#### Read Write DVD iso, still a dream away
CONFIG_ZISOFS_FS=y

-----------------
The DVB section looks great, only 2 critical flags missed, and one config _VIDEOBUF missing.
Ted