How To: Remaster LiveCD from LiveCD without pain :-)

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Pizzasgood

#76 Post by Pizzasgood »

Thanks WizKid :D ,would appreciated if you (or anyone willing to help) if you used Alienx simple remaster-cd
Sorry, but frankly, using other remaster scripts is very low on my priority list. Sure, using some others would give me a wider knowledge base, but it's not worth the very limited time that I have to experiment with them. I'd rather spend that time making a custom Puppy, writing a new script, doing some much needed work on my website, or relaxing (also much needed).

My advice, and don't take this harshly or anything, is that if nobody comes up with a solution, make your own. It is 100% possible to remaster by hand, with no fancy scripts to help you. All you really have to do is extract image.gz and usr_cram.fs, edit the contents, recompress them, and reburn. You have to update two files or so with data about new filesizes, but that's really it.

And nope, I don't have dosbox yet. It's on the to-do list, though. But I also need to get around to re-burining all my music (my cd's were lost over Christmas, just before I recieved two (2) new cd cases :roll: )
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

sccat

#77 Post by sccat »

Great job.

Hope this support Puppy2.0,If it is borned. :D

Alienx

#78 Post by Alienx »

Really great is the information that Barry is writing a new remaster script. I believe it will be by far better and more accurate than this previous script :D
Sorry, broken english above :-)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#79 Post by BarryK »

Alienx,
I think you commented awhile back, that my script /usr/sbin/createpuppyonline, is obscure -- can't remember the exact words.
I looked at it, and thought "did I really write all of that?!". Anyway, it was too
hard to port to puppy2, so I wrote a new one from scratch.

This new one though, is simple, doesn't have the ability to remove packages,
as createpuppyonline did. I'll probably add that capability later.

Anyway, as you will no doubt want to modify my new script to do different
things, you should find it very easy to follow.
I will release it along with the next puppy2 snapshot in about a week from now,
I think.

Alienx

#80 Post by Alienx »

Something is happenning in the linux world. There are few new distributions and interesting news. Puppy is the only exception. The news page and the Forum are very exciting to read everyday and we stay anxious waiting the next Puppy version. :D
Sorry, broken english above :-)