EZpup - June 2007 Edition

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
WhoDo

#31 Post by WhoDo »

Lobster wrote:I believe releasing EZpup quartely as a 100% .pet enhancement makes it far more maintainable, flexible and useful then an ISO release based around a particular Puppy version. . . .

Many of the background images are huge (600k where Puppy would use 60k)

Perhaps EzPup could come with small backgrounds with an option to download different collections?
I'm toying with releasing EZpup right behind each new Puppy release. That would make it 6 weeks between releases. I'm finding it hard to withhold developments for any extended period. For example, I have an Aero X11 animated mouse cursor theme and MU's cursor theme changer in the next EZpup and it looks and works great! I want our Puppy friends to get it sooner than September. :P

I have also stripped the backgrounds down to between 50kb-130kb each, with no real loss of color or resolution, and included some new Vista-style backgrounds that I think are pretty swish! 8)

All in all, I'm sweating on Puppy 2.17 so I can unleash EZpup-2 right after! :D
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

jamesbond

#32 Post by jamesbond »

These are the things I missed from 2.15CE that isn't in EZpup:

- Puppy software installer
- MU-GTK-Theme-Chooser
- pet-be-gone (but this one varies by each puppy version, I suppose?)
- 3DCC (but is this going to be obsoleted when 2.17 comes with the new kernel?)
- Xfe
- gtksee
- fox-calculator
- fox-shutterbug

cheers & thanks !

PS: can't wait to see your next EZpup with those changes you mention :)
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

WhoDo

#33 Post by WhoDo »

jamesbond wrote:These are the things I missed from 2.15CE that isn't in EZpup:

- Puppy software installer
- MU-GTK-Theme-Chooser
- pet-be-gone (but this one varies by each puppy version, I suppose?)
- 3DCC (but is this going to be obsoleted when 2.17 comes with the new kernel?)
- Xfe
- gtksee
- fox-calculator
- fox-shutterbug
Puppy Software Installer (PSI) and MU-Gtk-Themechooser are distinctly possible and in keeping with EZpup's approach to make Puppy attractive for refugees. The latter fits in well with the X11 Cursor-selector which is already in the next edition.

IMHO, 3DCC is a dead issue at present. Many of its features cannot be enabled without impacting the stability of Puppy's core functions like PETget.

Xfe and fox-shutterbug go together but don't really fit in a look-and-feel sense. Puppy already has u-Xplore which is much closer to M$ Explorer as a file manager than Xfe, and mtPaint snapshot is more basic but easier to use than fox-shutterbug. Pet-be-gone needs more work, according to Pizzasgood, and I'd prefer to leave it out on that score.

I thought GTK-see was standard in Puppy? I'll have to check my raw 2.16 installation to verify.

Bottom line, jamesbond: I will include PSI and MU-Gtk-T, providing they don't cause any problems in constructing EZpup without impacting on core systems. Both have dependencies that need to be explored further before including them in a package that is meant to be usable across many versions of Puppy.

Your suggestions are much appreciated, and I'll see what I can do to make at least some of them a reality in EZpup-2.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#34 Post by Béèm »

For a while EZpup did a good job.
I even got the freemem display again at full size, antho the digit were really small. I din't know how it came back.

Then I added devx_214 for the next boot, still no problem.
Then remove boot for the devx_214 and added the one for devx_216
There problems are back.
- I have the 6 OOo icons back. Nice, but it's not as expected so I understand.
- the freemem display is a small vertical stripe again.
- some icons are placed partially over other ones (disk free and pupzip)
- I have an extra OOo draw
- the color seems to be changed of the desktop icons.

All this worries me as I didn't do anything spectacular.

WhoDo

#35 Post by WhoDo »

Béèm wrote:All this worries me as I didn't do anything spectacular.
If you used the Bootloader to load the .sfs files and unload them, that is why things went askew. The Bootloader runs a script called fixPuppyPin which evidently reverts any icons to their default state.

You can avoid the problems that creates in future by keeping a backup copy of /root/Choices/ROX-filer/PuppyPin so you can copy it back over the one fixPuppyPin generates.

This is a fundamental issue that I will have to address with BarryK and sunburnt, as both use the fixPuppyPin script in various ways to manage icons on the desktop. Maybe we can collectively come up with a fix that won't cause the icons to revert entirely to their original state when EZpup is installed.

Cheers

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#36 Post by Béèm »

Thank you, I'll copy the PuppyPin from now on.
Good that you will address the issue with Barry and Sunburnt.

It might be that this was the cause the first time I said that there was a problem as indeed I did some loading and unloading of sfs files.
(I like much that feature and won't be happy to loose it)

jamesbond

#37 Post by jamesbond »

Thanks WhoDo :)

Yes my mistake - gtksee is already in 2.16.
As for uxplore - I didn't see it until you mention it, I always use either ROX for xfe :) Mental blindness, perhaps :P

A simplistic idea for the PuppyPin problem - how about overwriting the fixPuppyPin with EZpup's own version? Afterall, if BarryK and others make fixPuppyPin compatible with EZpup, sooner or later other dotpets will probably come and will need this "compatibility" as well. Rather than having a complex fixPuppyPin that serves everybody (with many "if thens" to detect which dotpet installed) that BarryK has to maintain, perhaps it may be better for each dotpet to provide a replacement that suits its own needs. My 2cents though.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

cb88

#38 Post by cb88 »

could the animated mouse cursor theme from PCLinux OS be hacked into puppy it is pretty cool.

WhoDo

#39 Post by WhoDo »

cb88 wrote:could the animated mouse cursor theme from PCLinux OS be hacked into puppy it is pretty cool.
Sure. Most of the X11 themes follow the same format. How do you know it isn't in EZpup-2 already??? :P

Cheers

sling-shot

#40 Post by sling-shot »

Both mirrors seem to be down at the moment :-(
But if it is an ISO to replace standard Puppy ISO I would be disappointed as I cannot use it everyday, cause I use a full hard disk install :-(
Will see once the mirrors are working again.
Seems beautiful looking at the shots posted.
Thanks,
-SS.
I am a nobody. Nobody is perfect. So I am perfect.

Béèm

#41 Post by Béèm »

@sling-shot.
If you are speaking of EZpup, it's not an ISO.
See the very first posts in this thread to find download loacations.

sling-shot

#42 Post by sling-shot »

I read the whole thread but somehow I was not sure :-)

By the way, both domains are not reachable, at least here in India. Can you please try and let me know if you can open those two sites?

Thanks,
-SS.

sling-shot

#43 Post by sling-shot »

Something is fishy :-(
I cannot get dotpups.de by direct browsing and ping leads to 100% packet loss.
However through anonymous browsing services provided online by metaproxy, I can access it but am unable to download anything cause they wont allow it free.
This means somebody is willfully blocking "dotpups.de" For what reason I cant fathom!!!!
I am in India using Tata Indicom dial-up connection.
-SS.

cb88

#44 Post by cb88 »

@whodo after I wrote that I remembered that you were/are a PCLinuxOS user sorry if I spoiled any surprise. I guess you just have to put some more suprises in then won't you haha.

cb88

I sent a pic of the EZpup version I have on my pc to popular science mag along with a pic of my beryl setup (take that vista and dsl no hard feelings though to dsl anyway).

WhoDo

#45 Post by WhoDo »

cb88 wrote:@whodo after I wrote that I remembered that you were/are a PCLinuxOS user sorry if I spoiled any surprise. I guess you just have to put some more suprises in then won't you haha.
I can neither confirm nor deny ... yada, yada, yada ... :P
cb88 wrote:I sent a pic of the EZpup version I have on my pc to popular science mag along with a pic of my beryl setup (take that vista and dsl no hard feelings though to dsl anyway).
Ooooh, interesting! Let me know if they publish them ... especially if they add comments. Everyone loves a little feedback now and then. :wink:

Cheers

cb88

#46 Post by cb88 »

@ whodo this post has my email and pics
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 859#122859

WhoDo

#47 Post by WhoDo »

cb88 wrote:@ whodo this post has my email and pics
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 859#122859
Nice, cb88. Hope they give Puppy a good look and do a story on it, too.

Cheers

WhoDo

#48 Post by WhoDo »

sling-shot wrote:Something is fishy :-(
I cannot get dotpups.de by direct browsing and ping leads to 100% packet loss.
dotpups.de has been unavailable for quite a long time. MU had to move it due to problems with hosting limits and costs. All of those archives are now at http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups

Hope that helps

sling-shot

#49 Post by sling-shot »

Well dotpups.de is accessible for me right now! Thanks for the mirror though :-)
-SS.

WhoDo

#50 Post by WhoDo »

WhoDo wrote:
cb88 wrote:could the animated mouse cursor theme from PCLinux OS be hacked into puppy it is pretty cool.
Sure. Most of the X11 themes follow the same format. How do you know it isn't in EZpup-2 already??? :P
So, cb88, did you get what you wanted in terms of mouse cursor themes? Just curious. :P