Printer setup page needs rewording

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
heinz57

Printer setup page needs rewording

#1 Post by heinz57 »

Both on 2.15 and 2.16, I tried to get printing working but it does not, and I feel the problem is the setup page where you choose the mode of communication between the computer and the printer.

I connect my Epson Stylus CX3810 via USB. But have no idea what to choose there, tried several. Local port? Or what? Seems to need some words there explaining this better. A few of us are not techs at all, just home PC users. Most of your other pages do fine in our regard, but not that one.

Should there be a "USB" choice there that knows how to work, for instance?

The doubts about printing are the only thing holding me back from installing Puppy on several older PCs owned by some older Friends who deserve better than what they use now.

Thanks

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Printer setup page needs rewording

#2 Post by BarryK »

heinz57 wrote: I connect my Epson Stylus CX3810 via USB. But have no idea what to choose there, tried several. Local port? Or what? Seems to need some words there explaining this better. A few of us are not techs at all, just home PC users. Most of your other pages do fine in our regard, but not that one.
The Xpdq setup dialog windows have popup help. If you move the mouse pointer over the edit-box, for example to enter the type of port, a popup comes up and explains the choices.

heinz57

what I see

#3 Post by heinz57 »

Actually, the page I referred to seems not to have popups like some others there to, but instead lets you choose a line then press the Info button...no choice seems pertinent to a USB local PC installation, far as I can see in my ignorance

The one that says use this for any local Unix connection is closest I guess, but if you choose that it demands that you define, on the next page, the Remote Host.

Perhaps there is data on the site somewhere that covers this, but I did not find it.

A testimony as to how someone recently got a printer working, that is connected locally by USB, what they did at those two pages, would probably be helpful for everyone.

Thanks.
Attachments
thewindow.jpg
(70.45 KiB) Downloaded 573 times

heinz57

Just a wording error?

#4 Post by heinz57 »

So the question now seems to be, is local-port the choice, even though it says parallel or serial, not USB?

I considered that a chance, but perceived it more likely those words were typed in so many years ago it was before anybody had a USB printer. So USB was not mentioned. But even then, I wonder if whatever that choice sets up, will deal properly with USB.

The other question might be: Should I have ever got to that screen?