gpRip cd ripper

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Nathan F

#16 Post by Nathan F »

Flash -

I just had a though on your management issue, at least for the time being. Easytag can alter both the filenames and tags of your music files, although combining tracks is not supported. I know there is at least one Puppy package for it somewhere on this forum.

I think an external management tool might also be in order, something that can combine any number of tracks if need be, rename the files, and write the tags as the user directs. Any thoughts? Might be a worthwhile project.

For now I believe you can combine using Audacity, not sure about Soxgui because I'm away from my own computer right now. There are probably more programs which can split mp3's than there are which can combine them.

When I get the option working to output a single track it could be combined with the ability to number the tracks manually to do what you are talking about. I'll bump that up on my agenda as well.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#17 Post by zigbert »

Thanks

jcoder24

#18 Post by jcoder24 »

I've attached the logs from running gprip0.5 (in console) in Grafpup 2.00 (pfix=ram).
Attachments
gprip-log.tar.gz
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 337 times

Nathan F

#19 Post by Nathan F »

I uploaded a new version as things stand right now. This only implements the new filename conventions, including allow/disallow spaces. I'm working on the other things I mentioned now.

jcoder24 - I'm examining the log files you sent now. According to what I am seeing you have set "misc" as the genre and lame is deciding that is not a valid tag to write, so lame is refusing to do it. I didn't know lame would do this, but I guess I should change things somewhat. I think I might change the entry box to a combobox, and have the user select the genre from a list. That way it will be impossible to fill in an illegal value. Any thoughts? Or is there some option I can pass to lame to get past this restriction maybe?

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#20 Post by Nathan F »

Ahh, I found this on tag errors with lame. Apparently I can pass the --ignore-tag-errors option to lame and it will just substitute the offending tag with "Other". I could do this, but it would be annoying to some when they find all their tracks are labeled as "Other" rather than the custom tag they typed in. Perhaps a combination of the two approaches, use the above mentioned combobox but make it editable, with a note in the help file stating that custom mp3 tags will be changed to "Other"?

Anyway, it's fixable apparently. Also there's a list of supported genres here, if you care to peruse it until I create a more user-proof version. As I understand it, lame can use any of the genre's listed at the bottom of that page.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#21 Post by zigbert »

When starting GPrip without a CD inserted, the scanning-CD-dialog doesn't close. Since window decoration is disabled, I have to kill pid to get rid of it.

jcoder24

#22 Post by jcoder24 »

Specifying a Genre did fix the problem. However, I have a other few bugs to report.

1) It fails to display accented chars eg e acute. I get the following message which may indicate what's the problem
(gtkdialog3:21113): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

2) If I specify a folder with an underscore eg (cd_rips) and tell gprip that I want my song titles with a space instead of underscore, it stores my songs in (cd rips) instead.

3) I think this is similar to what zigbert was reporting above.
I have 2 cdroms /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd. In the prefs I set the cdrom as hdc and start with disk in hdd. gprip recognises that there is no disk in hdc and presents me with a few options. When I click on the prefs button and change cd drive to hdd in prefs it then rescans and brings back up the prefs dialog. When I click ok it closes pref dialog and displays last "Scanning CD please wait" splash screen.

If I rerun gprip, the prefs are still have hdc. Also at some point during this process a zombie process is created.

20721 root 6928 S gtkdialog3 --program SPLASHSCREEN
20723 root Z [sh]
20724 root 6928 S gtkdialog3 --program SPLASHSCREEN

4) When I click exit, I get the following output to the console.
EXIT="abort"
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] [pid | job]... or kill -l [sigspec]
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/cd': No such file or directory
/usr/local/apps/Media/gpRip/AppRun: line 482: 28214 Terminated gtkdialog3 --program SPLASHSCREEN

(gtkdialog3:28306): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

(gtkdialog3:28306): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()
rm: cannot remove `/root/.config/tmp/pbcdripper': Is a directory

5) More of a suggestion. Monitor /var/log/messages for errors and quit if they appear to be severe. My CPU maxxed out while ripping a track. It was so bad that mouse and keyboard became intermittently responsive.

These messages that were logged to /var/log/messages were:
Jul 2 19:57:18 (none) user.warn kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Jul 2 19:57:18 (none) user.err kernel: hdc: drive not ready for command
Jul 2 19:58:08 (none) user.warn kernel: hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Jul 2 19:58:08 (none) user.warn kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Jul 2 19:58:08 (none) user.err kernel: hdc: drive not ready for command
Jul 2 19:58:13 (none) user.warn kernel: hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Jul 2 19:58:13 (none) user.warn kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown

Also I had a disk with that contained errors it only displayed the (artist and album info) but not the tracks.