Chinese Checkers Game

Play with your Puppy.
muggins

Chinese Checkers Game

#1 Post by muggins »

the attached file can be extracted anywhere & started by clicking CC

i'm no chinese checker buff, so the innards of the game are a mystery to me, except that you can play against slider, jumper, MM or robo computer opponents. apparently robo being the most sophisticated.

mouldy

#2 Post by mouldy »

Yep, this is the one I had installed way back when. Not bad except either the board or the marbles needed to be different colors to contrast. I have some color blindness and in this game it all just looks dark and muddy to me and I have to really work at it to see the marbles. Also game board could stand to be bigger.

Saying that, I think this is only playable linux version of chinese checkers out there, or at least only one I found when I searched some time ago.

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

i'll have a squizz at the code & see if there's any way to easily tweak the size a bit bigger...but no guarantees as i'm no c/c++ pro.

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

mouldy,

see this qt based qhalma. it has bigger pieces so will be easier on the eyes. not being a checkers player i can't comment on the calibre of the "opponent".

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=18614
Last edited by muggins on Thu 31 May 2007, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

mouldy

#5 Post by mouldy »

Dont see your qhalma link nor image. However making game above bigger is less important than if you could change marble colors to light and bright colors. Red, brown, green is especially bad. Navy blue no great shakes either. High contrast marbles colors and board colors would be big help.

Here is an OS/2 CC game where they got coloring right though I wish they'd lost the dragon engravings.

Here is another contrasting one I like though wish they'd used a brighter red and blue.

This is a dos CC game. The yellow, light green, and light blue work well for me on this board.

Ah, here is Qhalma I assume you are talking about. No computer opponent. Board ok, but dont like dull navy blue marbles. The red marbles at top I cant even see.

Oh, here is 2 player halma with BIG "marbles" and contrasting board even though marble colors arent that bright. It works cause of the size.

Last edited by mouldy on Thu 31 May 2007, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

yeah,

sorry about forgetting to include link...i've added it above. and there's also the SDL version of CC here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=18561

it's visually the same as the other one, (with the sombre tones), but has sound efects.