2.16.1: what is the freememapplet telling me?

Booting, installing, newbie
ohyes

2.16.1: what is the freememapplet telling me?

#1 Post by ohyes »

Hard disk install today 2.16.1, the applet is saying I have 16.7G available..via the desktop meter.

Anyone tell me if this means something wrong with the install..

I dont even have 8gig hard disk :shock:

EDIT:
Whoops actually this PC has a 20Gig hard drive not 8gig (thats the other one)
so perhaps the applet is telling me how much space I have on my hard drive..but why..?

normally does it not show the swap file size..

CHeers
Last edited by ohyes on Mon 28 May 2007, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

alienjeff

#2 Post by alienjeff »

The freememapplet is similar to what auto mechanics call "idiot lights" on car instrument panels ... when your car is running low on oil, a red light comes on and/or flashes. The "idiot lights" were designed for folks who don't know how to interpret what an oil pressure gauge displays.

With a full HD install, the freememapplet is showing you how much space is left on the drive. With a frugal HD install or running from a live CD, it shows how much space there is left for personal file storage. Right click on your freememapplet for more information.

To determine free RAM, open a terminal (console) and at the command prompt, type: free

For detailed realtime info on RAM and CPU usage, at the command prompt, type: top

-aj
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

ohyes

#3 Post by ohyes »

Thx alienjeff for making it clear