Getting WPA working under Network Manager and RT73 [solved]

paulsiu

#16 Post by paulsiu »

OK,

I managed to get the wpa_supplicant to work with the rt73, but it still does not work with the network manager. I wasted a few hours diagnosing a problem only to realized that nothing is working because someone had kicked over the power cord for the router.

In any case network manager does not work because it calls wpa_supplicant with the driver wext when it should be using rausb0. Will investigate why.

Paul

tempestuous

#17 Post by tempestuous »

Paul, that's good news.
paulsiu wrote:network manager does not work because it calls wpa_supplicant with the driver wext when it should be using rausb0.
I know why. When rarsa incorporated wpa_supplicant into the Network Wizard "ralink" and "rausb0" were not valid parameters.
Now that wpa_supplicant is finally working with Ralink, we need to ask rarsa to update.
Are you out there, rarsa?

paulsiu

#18 Post by paulsiu »

tempestuous,

I have just updated the shell script for the Puppy Network setup so that there is an option to click for ralink. I also notice that with the new rt73 driver, the interfaces comes up with wlan0 instead of rausb0.

Everythig now works fine now, I can create profiles for open, WEP, and WPA spots and switch between them. I have posted my solution. May be rarsa will incorporate the changes? Not sure how code gets contributed and incorporated into Puppy.

Thanks.

Paul

BarryK
Puppy Master

#19 Post by BarryK »

The "net-setup" PET package is at ibiblio, you can just download it, hack on it, then put it together again and give it a new version number. This is the "Network Wizard". It was originally created by me, then rarsa took over and substantially improved it. Lately rarsa is busy elsewhere, so really anybody who feels inclined is welcome to work on it.

If you do improve it, we'll all test it, then if it gets the green light I'll make it an official upgrade and put it on ibiblio.

tempestuous

#20 Post by tempestuous »

Paul, it's great that you have updated the net-setup script ... could you maybe also accommodate the rt61 driver?
According to the README from the source code, the rt61 driver is also compatible with the patched wpa_supplicant.
Shortly I will compile the latest rt61 module to ensure compatibility with wpa_supplicant.

And while we're at it, why not fix the other parameters which have changed in recent releases:
the "ath" and "ipw" parameters are now deprecated in favour of the generic "wext".
To summarise, for the following wifi drivers the correct -D parameter is "wext"
- ath_pci
- bcm43xx
- ipw2100
- ipw2200
- ipw3945
- ndiswrapper
- r8180
- r8187
- zd1211
- zd1211b
- zd1211rw

For the following drivers the correct -D parameter is "hostap"
- hostap_cs
- hostap_pci
- hostap_plx

EDIT September 2007: the Realtek r8180 and r8187 modules are WPA compatible.
The correct -D parameter for these 2 drivers (strangely) is "ipw"
paulsiu wrote:I also notice that with the new rt73 driver, the interfaces comes up with wlan0 instead of rausb0.
Worth knowing. I just checked the README from the latest rt61 souce code, and I see that the situation is similar: the interface name is now wlan0, and the firmware is now in /lib/firmware and is loaded by the normal hotplug mechanism.
Last edited by tempestuous on Thu 20 Sep 2007, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

paulsiu

#21 Post by paulsiu »

tempestuous,

I have actually compile a new version of rt61, but I haven't uploaded it because I have no idea how to test it. I can upload it tonight. It's the most recent beta version in June, so I figure it probably has supplicant support. I also compiled rt2570. I guess someone else will have to test it. They are both in a dotpet format.

On another note, my laptop died again and is being sent back to the manufacturer. I have other machines, but I am going from a Turion 1.6 Ghz to a first generation Ahtlon at 700 mhz :cry:

Paul

tempestuous

#22 Post by tempestuous »

Paul, my main concern is for the net-setup script - that it sets the correct wpa_supplicant parameters for the different drivers.

paulsiu

#23 Post by paulsiu »

The script should work. Right now, my change to the script is to add an option for ralink. If you press it, it should send the parameter -D ralink. This is similar to the option for Athenos and Prism. I tested it for rt73 and it seems to work. Assuming rt61 uses ralink, it should work, too.

When I get a chance, I'll try to update the dotpet and may be it can be incorporated into the future Puppy release. I have to reread some articles on how to break open and recompress a pet file.

I was thinking of changing those checkbox to radio buttons. From my point of view, checkboxes mean multiple options and checkbox means you select one of out many.

tempestuous

#24 Post by tempestuous »

OK.
paulsiu wrote:I have to reread some articles on how to break open and recompress a pet file.
pet2tgz xxx.pet

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#25 Post by Béèm »

paulsiu wrote:tempestuous,

I have just updated the shell script for the Puppy Network setup so that there is an option to click for ralink. I also notice that with the new rt73 driver, the interfaces comes up with wlan0 instead of rausb0.
Where is the new rt73 driver to be found?
In the 2.16.1 release or separately?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#26 Post by Béèm »

tempestuous wrote:Paul, it's great that you have updated the net-setup script ... could you maybe also accommodate the rt61 driver?
According to the README from the source code, the rt61 driver is also compatible with the patched wpa_supplicant.
Shortly I will compile the latest rt61 module to ensure compatibility with wpa_supplicant.

And while we're at it, why not fix the other parameters which have changed in recent releases:
the "ath" and "ipw" parameters are now deprecated in favour of the generic "wext".
- ath_pci
- bcm43xx
- ipw2100
- ipw2200
- ipw3945
- ndiswrapper
- r8180
- r8187
- zd1211
- zd1211b
- zd1211rw

The only other -D parameter apart from wext is "hostap", which applies to these drivers
- hostap_cs
- hostap_pci
- hostap_plx
paulsiu wrote:I also notice that with the new rt73 driver, the interfaces comes up with wlan0 instead of rausb0.
Worth knowing. I just checked the README from the latest rt61 souce code, and I see that the situation is similar: the interface name is now wlan0, and the firmware is now in /lib/firmware and is loaded by the normal hotplug mechanism.
Having a ipw2100 device, I am testing for Dougal to improve detection of ipw2100 and ipw2200
So far detection and loading of ipw2100 seem to be ok, but I leave it to him to report to the community on the work he did in this area.

paulsiu

#27 Post by paulsiu »

Béèm,

Please read the first message of this thread. It contains the instuctions and links. You'll need to install
1. The RT73, which is a dotpet.
2. The patched WPA supplicant, which is also a dotpet.
3. The new network setup script, which is of course a dotpet.

Paul

Béèm

#28 Post by Béèm »

Paul, sorry for asking.
I tend to jump to the last page in a multi-page thread and forgot to look at the initiating post on the first page.
Downloaded the driver and might try it, having a RT73 device on my desktop PC.
Bernard

Dougal

#29 Post by Dougal »

tempestuous wrote:And while we're at it, why not fix the other parameters which have changed in recent releases:
- ath_pci
- bcm43xx
- ipw2100
- ipw2200
- ipw3945
- ndiswrapper
- r8180
- r8187
- zd1211
- zd1211b
- zd1211rw

The only other -D parameter apart from wext is "hostap", which applies to these drivers
- hostap_cs
- hostap_pci
- hostap_plx
I'm sorry if I'm getting this all wrong, but I looked through all three files of the net-setup package and couldn't find any of the strings "ath" and "ipw" -- but did find "wext" and "hostap"...
Or is it somewhere in the firmware packages?
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

paulsiu

#30 Post by paulsiu »

Dougal wrote: I'm sorry if I'm getting this all wrong, but I looked through all three files of the net-setup package and couldn't find any of the strings "ath" and "ipw" -- but did find "wext" and "hostap"...
Or is it somewhere in the firmware packages?
According to the script wag-profile.sh,

atheno returns a -D of madwifi
prism returns a -D of hostap
I added -D ralink for ralink
If all choices fail, then -D wext is used.

It's in the routine buildprofileswindow()

Paul

paulsiu

RT61 and RT2570 drivers

#31 Post by paulsiu »

OK, here's compile RT61 and RT2570 as dotpets. Since I don't have either wireless, I am unable to test them. I assume that they will work similarly to rt73.

Note that both driver (if they work) will only work with the patched wpa_supplicant 0.58 that's in the first post. Neither driver will work with the unpatched wpa_supplicant.

If someone can test it and tell me if it works.
Attachments
rt2570-1.1.0-b2-i486.pet
The most recent Beta release of RT2570. It should be compatible with the patched wpa_supplicant.
(91.24 KiB) Downloaded 720 times
rt61-1.1.0-b2-i486.pet
The most recent Beta release of RT61. It should be compatible with the patched wpa_supplicant.
(110.72 KiB) Downloaded 737 times

tempestuous

#32 Post by tempestuous »

WAIT! Paul, those drivers appear to be the "beta" versions of the "enhanced legacy" source code.
This code is quite old and will almost certainly NOT work with wpa_supplicant.
When I first started trying to patch wpa_supplicant a few months ago, I read some posts on the rt2x00 forum which discussed a few "tweaks" to the code to fix wpa_supplicant compatibility. These tweaks can only be found in the latest CVS source code (CVS hourly tarball).

paulsiu

#33 Post by paulsiu »

According to this page:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=107832

The RT61 1.1.0-b2 beta was release on April 30, 2007, so it is not that old.

The RT2570 1.1.0-b2 on the other hand is from last 2006, so may be it is too old.

Paul

tempestuous

#34 Post by tempestuous »

Sorry. I didn't notice the change from "b1" to "b2" version.
Yes, your rt61 driver should be fine ... except that you didn't include the firmware in your dotpet, but hopefully Puppy's modprobe wrapper script will associate the current rt61 firmware with the driver and copy it into place from the zdrv file.

I just checked the rt61-1.1.0-b2 README, and I see that the correct firmware location is the same as it was before: /etc/Wireless/RT61STA/

That's interesting, because the rt61-cvs version uses the conventional hotplug mechanism for firmware loading, and this requires that the firmware be located in /lib/firmware/

tempestuous

#35 Post by tempestuous »

Paul, I have taken your revised network script, and changed it further - to remove the "Atheros" button.
I attached it to the 5th post in this thread. Details there.