Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 19:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Using Samba network printer from Windows XP (SOLVED)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
rmockler

PostPosted: Sun 27 May 2007, 22:17    Post subject:  Using Samba network printer from Windows XP (SOLVED)
Subject description: How to automatically logon to Puppy machine as root?

I have a Samba question that I would appreciate getting some help with. I am currently using Puppy 215CE on my desktop with Samba set up, and generally it works just fine. My wife is using a laptop with Windows XP and sends print jobs to the printer attached to my desktop without problem. The combination of Samba with CUPS is really good, and I have no complaints about the performance. The only glitch in the scheme, is that unless I logon to root on her XP system, the printer is not available. While on the XP laptop, if I click on the Printers and Faxes in Network Neighorhood, it displays Access Denied. If I go back to Network Neighborhood and click on puppypc, I get a logon window. When I enter root in the User ID, (no password) I immediately get the directory of my root folders, and the printer on puppypc has a status of ready. For the remainder of that session all print jobs sent are successful. But when the XP laptop is rebooted, I must log in as root again on the laptop to be able to print. This is a minor irritation, as my wife fails to remember to do this, and then comes to me and says that her job won't print. My question is, can I avoid having to make her log in for every session that is started on her laptop? It certainly seems that it should be possible.
Thanks,
~Dick

Last edited by rmockler on Mon 28 May 2007, 20:19; edited 1 time in total
Bruce B

PostPosted: Sun 27 May 2007, 23:30    Post subject:  

I used to do that with a batch fine using ipconfig and net in Windows 98
rmockler

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2007, 20:30    Post subject:  

Solved this problem today, even easier than expected. To begin, there is no real need to logon to Samba from the XP machine as the Puppy machine is not part of a domain, but a member of a workgroup. All I had to do to eliminate the Access Denied message was change the smb.conf file to use security = share instead of security = user, and set the guest ok = yes and public = yes in the printers section of the smb.conf file. Now when the XP machine boots up, the root folder and network printer on the Puppy box are immediately accessible. The Puppy operating system just keeps getting better and better.
~Dick
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: