Puppy Database

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Swarup

#91 Post by Swarup »

I installed Portabase and the qt-3.3.8.pet package, this time in a version of a Puppy 3.01 which is an original 3.01 (and not a downgrade from 4.0 with the wrong pup_save file as I did earlier). So this time, both packages downloaded and installed fine. Although STILL, after first installing qt-3.3.8.pet and then Portabase, at the end of the Portabase install it says there is a missing dependency: libqt-mt.so.3. And although Portabase is listed under Menu-> Personal, but it will not open. No sign of life. I thought the only dependency for Portabase, was fulfilled by installing qt-3.3.8.pet ? And this other package (libqt-mt.so.3) is not found in Package Manger. What should I do now?

muggins

#92 Post by muggins »

Someone else reported that, when they installed qt-3.3.8, libqt-mt.so.3 was missing, but after they re-installed it, (or maybe they rebooted?), it was OK. I just checked my qt-3.3.8, and libqt-mt.so.3 definitely in in the right location.

If you enter ls /usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt* , what response do you get?

KF6SNJ

#93 Post by KF6SNJ »

I would hope he gets an answer similiar to this:

/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.prl
/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3
/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.8

Swarup

#94 Post by Swarup »

KF6SNJ wrote:I would hope he gets an answer similiar to this:

/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.prl
/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3
/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.8
After reading your post as well as the one above, I have rebooted into Puppy, and found that Portabase is now working just fine. Yeh! And upon doing the terminal command requested, I do indeed get the output above shown. --Guess it just needed a fresh reboot. Thank you. :)

Swarup

#95 Post by Swarup »

I am trying to import from Kexi (in Ubuntu) into Portabase (in Puppy). To that end, I exported from Kexi into a csv file, and then converted the csv into an xml file using this application: http://csv2xml.sourceforge.net/, which I have installed in Puppy. I opened Portabase and executed the import of the xml, but am getting this error message:
Error at: Line 1, Column 5
unknown element: row
I know there are various xml formats. Could it be that the xml format which the csv2xml application creates, is not acceptable to the Portabase import tool? If anyone familiar with xml file formats could take a look at this page which explains Portabase's xml format:
http://portabase.sourceforge.net/portabase_xml.html, and let me know if you think the csv2xml converter would create files consistent with that format, this would be a big help.

Swarup

#96 Post by Swarup »

I wrote to the Portabase creator, Jeremy Bowman, about the above question. Here below is his reply. I think it answers the matter quite clearly:
PortaBase uses its own XML format, which is documented at http://portabase.sourceforge.net/portabase_xml.html. It also imports CSV files, so you shouldn't have to use csv2xml at all (although there are variations in how different applications define CSV, so you still might need to tweak things a little). Importing CSV does require you to first create the PortaBase file you want to import the data into and define appropriate columns...this is probably less work than trying to write an XSLT file or such to convert the XML syntax you have into something that PortaBase would understand, though.

Colonel Panic

#97 Post by Colonel Panic »

muggins wrote:Someone else reported that, when they installed qt-3.3.8, libqt-mt.so.3 was missing, but after they re-installed it, (or maybe they rebooted?), it was OK. I just checked my qt-3.3.8, and libqt-mt.so.3 definitely in in the right location.

If you enter ls /usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt* , what response do you get?
I got the listing of files as stated, but when I tried to run Portabase I got the message "/lib/libpthread.so.0: version 'GLIBC.2.3.3' not found (required by usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3)."

muggins

#98 Post by muggins »

Colonel,

you don't mention which pupversion you're using? Is this using the pup3 qt-3.3.8 on pup3?

Colonel Panic

#99 Post by Colonel Panic »

muggins wrote:Colonel,

you don't mention which pupversion you're using? Is this using the pup3 qt-3.3.8 on pup3?
Thanks for replying.

You got me there! I'm using Pizzasgood's fine Pizzapup 3.01, which is based on Puppy 2.14. (I'm posting from an old version of Flock btw).

I'm thinking of getting Lighthouse Pup, and that's not based on Puppy 4 either; in any case it won't be for a little while. Are there libraries I can download to save me having to get a whole new Pup?

muggins

#100 Post by muggins »

Colonel,

try removing the qt-3.3.8 .pet, and instead install the pup2 qt-3.3.6 .pet.

Swarup

#101 Post by Swarup »

This much I can say-- Portabase rocks. My guess is that for 90% of Puppy users wanting a DB, Portabase will meet their needs. It's easy to use, tiny sized, stable, and fast as lightning.

All you have to do is create or import your table. Portabase automatically supplies data entry forms and all commonly needed functions. I find that many of the commonly needed tasks are more easily done in Portabase than in Kexi even. --And Kexi is great. But for example, if you want to alter the structure of a table after it has been made and populated with data, it is a piece of cake in Portabase. Need to add a column? Need to rearrange the order of columns in the table? With Portabase, these tasks are incredibly simple and fast. In Kexi these are not part of routine operations and there are no out of the box commands for them. And in OO Base, such tasks are a mere dream-- or perhaps more aptly termed for those who have attempted it, a nightmare. Portabase turns the common, daily DB needs of general users into a simple pleasure. It is highly recommended.

WhoDo

#102 Post by WhoDo »

Swarup wrote:This much I can say-- Portabase rocks. My guess is that for 90% of Puppy users wanting a DB, Portabase will meet their needs. It's easy to use, tiny sized, stable, and fast as lightning.
Yep. It has my vote as a standard include in Puppy, although BarryK might object since it also means including Qt-3.3.8 or similar. Pity really. Between Abiword, Gnumeric and Portabase Puppy standard has a complete and functional suite of office apps. Maybe chihuahua (3.10CE standard ed.) is the place it belongs.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Colonel Panic

#103 Post by Colonel Panic »

muggins wrote:Colonel,

try removing the qt-3.3.8 .pet, and instead install the pup2 qt-3.3.6 .pet.
Thanks for the advice, I will.

UPDATE: It worked! (after a reboot). Now all I have to do is import my data files from their native format (CSV). Fortunately, there aren't many of them.

Thanks to everyone who has helped.

aragon

#104 Post by aragon »

for those of you who are running firefox

http://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager/

might be interesting.

I think it is not for a beginner, but maybe someone ist interested.

The xpi is 86 kb!

cheers
aragon

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#105 Post by Lobster »

I think it is not for a beginner
It also runs on Seamonkey
. . . but I am not sure if it comes with a front end or you have to write it?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Thee_oddball

#106 Post by Thee_oddball »

aragon wrote:for those of you who are running firefox

might be interesting.

The xpi is 86 kb!

cheers
aragon
I have pup4.1 and that prog requires seamonkey 2.0 ( i have 1.1) and the firfox version required is 3.0- and pup-get only has a 2.? version :( , i have been reading for the past couple nights about setting up a MYSQL DB and PHP and have read this post
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37109

and have tested hiawatha :) but now i am trying se if there is a native solution to MySql , i SQLite3 mentioned but cannot find it under PETget, but i see puppybasic2 is installed :)......im just getting more and more confued :):)...ill get it sorted :)

S!

DMcCunney

#107 Post by DMcCunney »

might be interesting.

The xpi is 86 kb!
I have the XPI installed in FF3 on Windoze. Note that it can't diddle the place.sqlite file FF3 uses to store boomarks, as that file is locked while in use by FF, but it can investigate and diddle other SQLite DB files.
______
Dennis

DMcCunney

#108 Post by DMcCunney »

Thee_oddball wrote:

might be interesting.

The xpi is 86 kb!
I have pup4.1 and that prog requires seamonkey 2.0 ( i have 1.1) and the firfox version required is 3.0- and pup-get only has a 2.? version :(
That's because Firefox 3 and Seamonkey 2 use an SQLite database to store bookmarks instead of bookmarks.html, and use SQLite databases for a few other things. The XPI would be pointless in FF 2 or SM 1.

There's a pet for Firefox 3.03 here at puppylinux.ca, , and you can get SM 2.0 alpha 2 for Linux from Mozilla here.
(It runs on Puppy 4.12 here.)
but now i am trying se if there is a native solution to MySql , i SQLite3 mentioned but cannot find it under PETget, but i see puppybasic2 is installed :)......
There's a pet for SQLite 3.4.2 here at ibiblio.org.
______
Dennis

WhoDo

#109 Post by WhoDo »

DMcCunney wrote:There's a pet for SQLite 3.4.2 here at ibiblio.org.
______
Dennis
Actually, Puppy 4.xx Dingo series has SQLite included - DeepThought 4.2 has SQLite-3.4.2 inbuilt.

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

charlie6

#110 Post by charlie6 »

Hi
on Toutou4.1.2 k2.6.25.16 frugal / (= french translation of Puppy 4.1.2)
I installed tksqlite 0.4.5 from the Pet Manager (from Puppy3 list; there isn't any in Puppy 4 pet list) ;
the dependencies were automatically installed one after the other;
I restarted jwm and X;
There is well a menu entry under 'Personal';
but it won't work ..?
I have made the dependencies check: they 'seems' all being installed.

Can somebody give me some help?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Charlie

update Ooupss ! Now my question is solved ! Please, just disregard it.
Having a look at the previous posts from the beginning I notice that tile-0.7.8.pet was missing ...Just had to load it from the pet manager, restart jwm and X and it is done.

I 'll now try to use that database with abiword to perform Mail merge.

Not enough 'many thanks!' to all the developpers (of Puppy and also its french translation 'Toutou') for such a nice tool !
Cheers
Charlie

re-update ...again...too fast spoken!
trying to open sqlite2_test.db (or sqlite3_test.db) I get a message asking
...install tclsqlite2...(or tclsqlite3)
I am now looking for tclsqlite2 and 3. Do .pet packages exist?

Cheers
Charlie

re-re-update
..looking for tclsqlite2 and 3...
I did not find them.
I found here (see previous post of 2byte on 15 dec 2007)
http://reddog.s35.xrea.com/software/tks ... bin.tar.gz
I " tar -xzvf " it and got tksqlite working (I could create a table and import another .csv one).
(...with tksqlite-0.4.5.pet already installed...I think i've made some jam...!?)

I 'm trying now to uninstall tksqlite-0.4.5.pet but do not succed in; using the Pet Manager to uninstall it gives no result for tksqlite and its dependencies as well.

I tried with Pet-be-Gone which seems only applicable for programs delivered with the Puppy live-cd.
How could I uninstall it?

Thanks for any idea.

Cheers
Charlie