Puppy Database

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Swarup

#76 Post by Swarup »

When I had Puppy 4.0 installed, then in Package Manager there was the option at the top for 4.0, 3.01, or 2.17. But I now I am running Puppy 3.01 (I had to switch because 4.0 was not supporting SCIM), and in the Package Manager with 3.01 those options are not there at the top of the screen for 4.0, 3.01, 2.17 anymore. I think in Puppy 3.01's Package Manager, it must just default to 3.01. But I have gone into the window several times, and there is no option there for "qt-3.3.8". There IS an option for qt-4.x, which I tried several times, but every time I tried, the Package Manager would try to connect for the download and then shut down. I don't know what that means, and I don't even know if the qt-4 which it has would work. But this much I know, that qt-3.3.8 is not there, and qt.4.x will not download.

By the way, has anyone tried to compile Kexi in Puppy yet? There is a good HowTo for the Kexi compilation, which I used for Ubuntu. But the page is not only for debian users, in fact it is mainly for non-debian users. Here it is: http://kexi-project.org/wiki/wikiview/i ... rsion.html. The page is entitled, "Compiling Kexi from Subversion"-- and it has instructions for compiling for both non-debian and debian distros.

oblivious

#77 Post by oblivious »

Oh, that's odd. It sounds like it gives you the list from pet-packages 4...

In any event, if you download it and install it locally, that hopefully should work.

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... packages-3

Swarup

#78 Post by Swarup »

Ok, I'll try it. Right now I'm working in Ubuntu, but when I switch over I'll give it a go.

Why am I getting the 4.0 Package manager for my 3.01 install? Is there a way to switch it over to 3.01? Or even to tell it to show all three at the top of the page, like it used to do in 4.0?

Swarup

Difficulty getting qt3 dependency for Portabase

#79 Post by Swarup »

I downloaded and installed Portabase (as a matter of fact I did it twice by mistake-- once a few days ago, and then again installed it again today-- so in Package Manager there are two copies listed among the list of installed .PETs. Gave the order to uninstall one, but nothing changed. There are still two.). And I went to the site you referred me to, oblivious, and downloaded "qt-3.3.8.pet" and installed it. But when I run the dependency checker for Portabase, it still gives the following output:
These dependencies required by Portabase package are missing:
File /usr/bin/portabase has these missing library files:
libqt-mt.so.3
This dependent package is missing: "qt3"

IMPORTANT: It is recommended that you install the missing packages.
So what can I do to get this qt3 installed? Isn't the package "qt-3.3.8.pet" the correct one?

When I installed "qt-3.3.8.pet", it didn't give me the usual window "qt-3.3.8.pet has been installed" afterward. It just said it was installing, and then I didn't get any other message. Neither an error message, nor an installed message. Could something have gone wrong with the install?

hillside

#80 Post by hillside »

I installed Portabase and the qt-3.3.8.pet package. I noticed that qt-3.3.8.pet took a long time to install. I thought the system had frozen, and then suddenly I got the "All Done" message and everything was good.

For some reason, Portabase wouldn't start from the menu entry, but it worked fine from a command.

It's a nice little flat file database that allows you to build a form for data entry, but it doesn't have quite the power that I need for my work. I find a decent spreadsheet gives about as good of results (minus the data entry screen). But, I think a lot of people might find the program useful for simple database work.

Still looking for a basic relational database system that works just a bit better than OObase. I'm feeling optimistic.

oblivious

#81 Post by oblivious »

Isn't the package "qt-3.3.8.pet" the correct one?
All I can say is that that is all I installed and portabase worked from a menu icon which appeared after a reboot. Did you give it a try?

My view is that if it doesn't work, then something may have gone wrong with the installation of qt-3.3.8, or there may be some other drama with it..... If it works, let it complain about dependencies if it wants to :lol:

Sorry, I'm not much help :?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#82 Post by BarryK »

Swarup,
It seems that you have "downgraded" a pup_save file (your personal storage file). That's a no no.
Puppy is only designed to upgrade, not downgrade, the pup_save file.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Swarup

#83 Post by Swarup »

BarryK wrote:Swarup,
It seems that you have "downgraded" a pup_save file (your personal storage file). That's a no no.
Puppy is only designed to upgrade, not downgrade, the pup_save file.
Ah, THAT must be what the problem is! I think you caught the issue. You are right-- I had initially installed 4.0, and then when I was informed on another thread that 4.0 will not work with SCIM/m17n (complex font software) yet, then I switced to 3.0 by replacing the frugal 4.0 files with the 3.0 ones... but I LEFT the 4.0 pup_save file there because my ndiswrapper wireless was already set up with it. Upon booting, I found the the 4.0 pup-save file seemed to be working just fine with 3.0-- and thereupon left the matter. And there haven't been any issues with it until now I tried to download qt3 and it wasn't in the Package Manager.

So what it is the solution? Am I going to have to have to get rid of my 4.0 pup_save file which I've been using in 3.01? It has a fair bit of stuff in it, but nothing I couldn't set up again fairly quickly. Once I do that, I guess the Package Manager will again start working appropriately? And this elusive qt3 package will be able to be installed?
Last edited by Swarup on Tue 03 Jun 2008, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.

harryh

#84 Post by harryh »

Hi oblivious

I installed the portabase with qt-3.3.8.pet in puppy4 and it's working fine.

Thx Harryh :D

oblivious

#85 Post by oblivious »

So what it is the solution?
I have no idea :lol: - but if it were me, I'd start again to make sure that everything is "normal". One day, it will complain about something when it's really, really important to you.....

(You could move the stuff you really want to keep to a separate partition to avoid having to redo everything.)

@Harryh - jolly good - that's 2 success stories!

WhoDo

#86 Post by WhoDo »

oblivious wrote:(You could move the stuff you really want to keep to a separate partition to avoid having to redo everything.)
...or, you could move the stuff you need to the free space of the same partition but outside the pup_save.2fs file, ready to bring it back when you have created a new one. That saves swapping partitions to store data.

Just look for /mnt/home with your pup_save.2fs mounted and that will show you the partition space outside the pup_save.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Swarup

#87 Post by Swarup »

Thanks for all the guidance on how to manage the pup_save file. I think it is real clear now. :)

By the way, Whodo, you had mentioned that to bring Kexi into Puppy as I've been using it in Ubuntu:
Here's a suggestion; what about just using the Gnome sfs with Puppy and then you can keep Kexi in its present form? That way you get the best that Puppy can offer with the familiarity of your Ubuntu wm. Just a thought.

I've been reading around on this, and have seen it discussed in the setting of Puppy 4.0. But I need to run 3.01 still, because SCIM is not yet working in 4.0. Have you seen the Gnome sfs used with 3.01? I'd like to give it a shot, if there are some instructions somewhere for using it in 3.01.

And what you are suggesting by this, is that once the Gnome sfs is installed, then I could compile Kexi in Puppy 3.01 using the same technique I had done to compile it in Ubuntu, right?

Is it that without the Gnome sfs, Kexi will not compile into Puppy? I'm just concerned about questions of size and especially speed. So I'm thinking that running Gnome instead of JWM may slow my machine down considerably. So if I don't need to use Gnome to bring in Kexi, I guess I'd prefer not to. But if there is no other option, I'll certainly give it a shot.

WhoDo

#88 Post by WhoDo »

Swarup wrote:Have you seen the Gnome sfs used with 3.01? I'd like to give it a shot, if there are some instructions somewhere for using it in 3.01.
No, I haven't, but there should be no reason why it wouldn't work. The sfs should contain all dependencies and the only problem might be in version clashes with libraries, etc. It's easy enough to trial it - simply set the sfs in the 3.01 boot manager and reboot. If it doesn't work, boot from CD, remove the sfs and reboot.
Swarup wrote:And what you are suggesting by this, is that once the Gnome sfs is installed, then I could compile Kexi in Puppy 3.01 using the same technique I had done to compile it in Ubuntu, right?
Nope. I'm suggesting that Kexi's binary compiled in Ubuntu may actually work in Puppy natively so long as you have the Gnome interface installed.
Swarup wrote:Is it that without the Gnome sfs, Kexi will not compile into Puppy?
Nope. If you wanted to try recompiling Kexi for Puppy native then we'd all be happy campers should you succeed. My only fear is that there will be a mountain of dependencies to overcome and the devil of a job to do that.
Swarup wrote:I'm just concerned about questions of size and especially speed. So I'm thinking that running Gnome instead of JWM may slow my machine down considerably. So if I don't need to use Gnome to bring in Kexi, I guess I'd prefer not to. But if there is no other option, I'll certainly give it a shot.
Technically the sfs shouldn't impact too much on speed because it sits outside the pup_save.2fs file and is unpacked at boot time (I think?). That's why adding the Open Office sfs doesn't slow things down on boot - only when you start the program is it mind-numbingly slow to load. If you have enough RAM it runs at Puppy speed once loaded.

Good luck with the endeavour. Best option for all of us would be Kexi compiled natively in Puppy, but if that's not possible then a Kexi that works with the Gnome.sfs would be the next best thing IMHO.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

RR Koothady

Kexi

#89 Post by RR Koothady »

Hey!

Kexi for Puppy is available here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 63&t=29856

Ramesh

Swarup

#90 Post by Swarup »

Hot off the press. What a find! --Just now read the post, and it sounds quite promising.

Swarup

#91 Post by Swarup »

I installed Portabase and the qt-3.3.8.pet package, this time in a version of a Puppy 3.01 which is an original 3.01 (and not a downgrade from 4.0 with the wrong pup_save file as I did earlier). So this time, both packages downloaded and installed fine. Although STILL, after first installing qt-3.3.8.pet and then Portabase, at the end of the Portabase install it says there is a missing dependency: libqt-mt.so.3. And although Portabase is listed under Menu-> Personal, but it will not open. No sign of life. I thought the only dependency for Portabase, was fulfilled by installing qt-3.3.8.pet ? And this other package (libqt-mt.so.3) is not found in Package Manger. What should I do now?

muggins

#92 Post by muggins »

Someone else reported that, when they installed qt-3.3.8, libqt-mt.so.3 was missing, but after they re-installed it, (or maybe they rebooted?), it was OK. I just checked my qt-3.3.8, and libqt-mt.so.3 definitely in in the right location.

If you enter ls /usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt* , what response do you get?

KF6SNJ

#93 Post by KF6SNJ »

I would hope he gets an answer similiar to this:

/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.prl
/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3
/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.8

Swarup

#94 Post by Swarup »

KF6SNJ wrote:I would hope he gets an answer similiar to this:

/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.prl
/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3
/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
/usr/lib/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.8
After reading your post as well as the one above, I have rebooted into Puppy, and found that Portabase is now working just fine. Yeh! And upon doing the terminal command requested, I do indeed get the output above shown. --Guess it just needed a fresh reboot. Thank you. :)

Swarup

#95 Post by Swarup »

I am trying to import from Kexi (in Ubuntu) into Portabase (in Puppy). To that end, I exported from Kexi into a csv file, and then converted the csv into an xml file using this application: http://csv2xml.sourceforge.net/, which I have installed in Puppy. I opened Portabase and executed the import of the xml, but am getting this error message:
Error at: Line 1, Column 5
unknown element: row
I know there are various xml formats. Could it be that the xml format which the csv2xml application creates, is not acceptable to the Portabase import tool? If anyone familiar with xml file formats could take a look at this page which explains Portabase's xml format:
http://portabase.sourceforge.net/portabase_xml.html, and let me know if you think the csv2xml converter would create files consistent with that format, this would be a big help.