Puppy Database

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Pete

#211 Post by Pete »

@greengeek

Edited my post after you posted yours.

greengeek

#212 Post by greengeek »

Thanks Pete. I had foolishly pre-pended the awk script with #!/bin/sh. Duh!
Got it working now - just need to view the tute a couple more times.
cheers!

Pete

#213 Post by Pete »

Glad you got it sorted.

musher0

#214 Post by musher0 »

greengeek wrote:
musher0 wrote:Hello all.

I found an interesting "fields.awk" script through ask.com:
http://www.ask.com/youtube?q=fields.awk ... archTopBox
Hi Musher - I think the link you posted should be replaced with this:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/HC8Az9W8F ... autoplay=0

(I also followed the link from one of your other posts but that just went to the search page too, instead of direct to the tutorial.

cheers!
Many thanks for pointing that out, greengeek. I corrected my original post about fields.awk.

If you could tell me where that "other post" is, I'll correct it too. (I've written a lot of posts
on this forum!) :) TIA.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

greengeek

#215 Post by greengeek »

musher0 wrote:If you could tell me where that "other post" is, I'll correct it too. (I've written a lot of posts
on this forum!)
It's this post back a couple of pages.
cheers!

musher0

#216 Post by musher0 »

greengeek wrote:
musher0 wrote:If you could tell me where that "other post" is, I'll correct it too. (I've written a lot of posts
on this forum!)
It's this post back a couple of pages.
cheers!
Done! Simple as pie!

Thanks, greengeek. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

smokey01

#217 Post by smokey01 »

Trying to find a small intuitive database for Puppy has been a challenge. I really like stuffkeeper and portabase but they are both not quite complete. As I was searching this forum and the wider internet I came across symphytum. It has been previously mentioned by muggins, pelo, geoffrey and maybe others. The problem is it never really stood out and I don't understand why as it's very nice. It may have been because in the past it was not freeware, now it is.

It only has one drawback, it requires Qt4. For me that's not a problem because I use Fatdog64-702 or tahrpup-6.0.5 and they both have Qt4 included. Qt4 is a bit heavy but it does provide nice interfaces.

In form mode symphytum is very cool. You simply drag and drop the fields where you like within the working pane. In table mode you get the normal tabulated display. I couldn't find any user help for symphytum but then it's probably not necessary as it's so easy to use. It comes with a small database included to show you how it works.

The other thing I really like about symphytum is it's a single binary and only about 4.5M. You can run it from anyware. Simply drop it on your desktop if you like.

It's a bit like stuffkeeper, all of the tables, symphytum calls them collections, are stored in the same SQLite database. The database is stored here: /root/.local/share/data/giowisys/Symphytum
It took me a bit of time to find it. You will also notice there is a files directory in the same location. Any attached files are stored here. They could be images, pdf's etc. Unfortunately this location is hard coded. It could be changed in the source but it's probably easier to copy the Symphytum directory where you have lots of space then symlink it back.

I have made two packages available on my site here:
http://smokey01.com/symphytum/

They have only been tested on Fatdog64-702 and Tahrpup-6.0.5.

If you are looking for a database, symphytum is worth a look.
Attachments
symphytum.png
Looks and works quite nicely.
(104.66 KiB) Downloaded 421 times

technosaurus

#218 Post by technosaurus »

I liked: sqlite-manager
I find it a bit ironing that mozilla has been using sqlite the longest, but has no plan to support the Web SQL specification.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

smokey01

#219 Post by smokey01 »

technosaurus wrote:I liked: sqlite-manager
I find it a bit ironing that mozilla has been using sqlite the longest, but has no plan to support the Web SQL specification.
I installed sqlite-manager into seamonkey but it's a lot more complicated to use than symphytum. I guess it does cut down a bit of fat though.

Cheers

smokey01

#220 Post by smokey01 »

Bugger! symphytum suffers a similar fate to stuffkeeper. Although symphytum can import data, it does it to a new collection/database. I want to be able to import data into an existing database, GGrrrr.

technosaurus is it possible to create forms and display images in SQLite-manager? If so How?

jrb

#221 Post by jrb »

smokey01 wrote:Bugger! symphytum suffers a similar fate to stuffkeeper. Although symphytum can import data, it does it to a new collection/database. I want to be able to import data into an existing database, GGrrrr.
Hardly elegant, but you can maintain a corresponding .csv to your database, copy and paste new import data into this in your spreadsheet program and then reimport the .csv file.

Cheers, J

Pelo

you need to enter some data...

#222 Post by Pelo »

Ah symphytum will be recognized soon as one of the best databases available for Puppy Linux.People used to database know that the most boring is creating forms, id est GUIs. Symphytum one can be changed easily by dragging windows where you like.
Sure, to test database, you need to enter some data... The most difficult !
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 30 Jun 2016, 17:16, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

#223 Post by gcmartin »

I think form processing data into a database is normal and I clearly understand the advantage to using form processing and maintaining related data in a database.

SQLite is a good selection as it is, now, in so many places across the Linux variants. Thus any knowledge gained and understood in Puppyland in its use, extends that into other areas/devices we have in our hands or around us in PC systems. Thus, it allows any user who has some knowledge of it on one system to use that knowledge in data management when on another system. Knowledge, allows it use everywhere since SQLite has become ubiquitous in small Linux, unix, and open-source systems.

Hope the developers see some value in such a step. Opens the doors for PUPPY to appeal to a larger community for use in data management for all sorts of things we users now have.

If Forms Processing does get addressed, here in this thread, it might be time to create a new thread around that facility-database where its opening thread announces the thread mission. This might lead the thread viewers having ideas of use cases they can relate to and share with others.

Pelo

There are a lot of databases available.

#224 Post by Pelo »

There are a lot of databases available. Our dear colleagues only escape when arriving to fulfill them. It's not so fun.
I never succeed to get them entering the first record ! (excepted Jopervasco)
A nice data base is our PPM, simply... But everyone should enter new stuff there. In fact, lot of databases are existing, but structures are different. An huge project would be collect all existing ones.
Folder .packages is a database. PPM is the GUI.
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 22 May 2017, 01:08, edited 2 times in total.

smokey01

#225 Post by smokey01 »

jrb wrote:
smokey01 wrote:Bugger! symphytum suffers a similar fate to stuffkeeper. Although symphytum can import data, it does it to a new collection/database. I want to be able to import data into an existing database, GGrrrr.
Hardly elegant, but you can maintain a corresponding .csv to your database, copy and paste new import data into this in your spreadsheet program and then reimport the .csv file.

Cheers, J
I do exactly that but you still have to re-do the form each time:-(
I guess it will have to do for now.
I'm using Ver 1.2. Has anyone managed to compile Ver 2.0?

Pelo

newer version needs Qt5.

#226 Post by Pelo »

newer version needs Qt5. I think training with Qt4 version until somebody compiles QT5 is a good idea. Some prefer compiling than adding data in already existing database. That does not make such a progress. :!:
What database do you need ? Your home furniture, your car repairs, Your friends and their phone, Your customers, your pending posts in the forum, everything is already available, but needs some work . Barry Kauler asked some help from everybody about the pets, but our Puppy builders are so occupied to build their own puppies from Woof Ce.
Post scriptum :
If furthermore you run our wonderful Polar Qt005 build with so much care by Pemasu, no Qt SFS had to be added.
Nevertheless, i will feed back when my version 2.1 ready. I hate Dropbox.

To be done with Xenialpup 7.0.2.
Version 2.0
===========

[New Features]
- #11 #12 #16 New fields for web links and email addresses

[Improvements]
- Migration from Qt4 to Qt5 (User interface library)
- Updated Dropbox certificates (Old ones are valid until August 2016)
- Implemented database version checking and upgrading on format change
- Updated about dialog to include github project link
- Compiler warning fixes

You Tube Demo
Attachments
Kittel.jpg
Marcel Kittel
(74.01 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
Symphytum.jpg
My personal database for pets (For Puppies, i use OSMO, considering Puppies as persons)
(71.72 KiB) Downloaded 858 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 17:33, edited 2 times in total.

smokey01

#227 Post by smokey01 »

I have a version 2.0 in my Fatdog64-700 repo. It does need the qt5-common package as well. http://smokey01.com/fd700/packages/ Are there any difference between 1.2 and 2.0? I didn't notice any.

Pelo did you say you have a version 2.1 of symphytum coming?

BTW thanks for the tip on TreeSize. I like it but it's a bit unstable when clicking on the Reload or skip directories buttons.

Pelo

Exploring for Symphytum newer version for linuxian colleage

#228 Post by Pelo »

Exploring for Symphytum newer version for linuxian colleages caring of having on self latest version.
personnaly i have been using version one for three years without trouble. I entered some records for my own usage.
With Xenialpup 7.0.2 the final answer is that a driver is missing. Symphytum 2.0 refuse to restore my backup done with version 1

For people still having Windows beside Puppy Linux, taste Windows version to see what you could miss running version one with Puppy Linux.
I believe i was the only Puppy passenger having run Symphytum in the forum. Perhaps it's no worth loosing time..
Xenialpup still has some trouble with desktop. Everybody is busy.. in the electronic bulk.
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

i just took a glance at your fatdog 64 repository.

#229 Post by Pelo »

i just took a glance at your fatdog 64 repository.
With Puppy i decided to run only 32 bits.
Smokey01, i want to thank you here for your works. How often i found happiness in your stores :)
A database manager, again, a new one is born in QT5 PPM Xenialpup... you should not miss databases to fulfill in 2016 !
Screenshot Table created in five minutes importing data from .packages (tahrpup). You can do the same with OSMO (rename columns thru file .mo)
Attachments
DB browser.png
I prefer Symphytum, for the fun.
(46.32 KiB) Downloaded 746 times

Pelo

Symphytum is no longer free.

#230 Post by Pelo »

Symphytum is no longer free. you must pay for it, at least for Windows version (checked yesterday)