Does puppy work ok with Sata DVD drives?

Booting, installing, newbie
thegoldenstrand

Does puppy work ok with Sata DVD drives?

#1 Post by thegoldenstrand »

I get error message early on in boot process for puppy, shortly after hard drives identified:

ERROR, cannot find puppy on 'idecd' boot media.

Should Puppy work ok with Sata DVD media?

How can I puppy from live CD using Sata DVD drives?

Could my initial download to ide dvd drive done something in the Puppy program to lead to this error and my inability to boot up Puppy from my new sata dvd drives?

Thanks,

:?:

Mike
Last edited by thegoldenstrand on Tue 22 May 2007, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

I'd say - go into the bios setup, find the boot sequence options, see if the sata drive is listed and if so - make it your first boot device.

Depends on the setup - some times boot devices are not listed with specificity - then do your best.

-------------

also consider the medium, read / write discs to boot sometimes don't boot as well as write once discs, because they don't have as good reflective qualities as their counterpart.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I don't have any SATA DVD drives, but I do have a SATA hard disk drive. Puppy uses it without any problem at all. Puppy seems to think it is a USB device.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

thegoldenstrand

It is not that it does not start to boot, but rather...

#4 Post by thegoldenstrand »

Does Puppy support Sata DVD drives or not?

GrantsV

#5 Post by GrantsV »

Try going into your BIOS and setting SATA CONTROLLER mode to LEGACY. This worked for me with this very same problem.

raffy

usbcd

#6 Post by raffy »

Your config file must be using pmedia=idecd, which should be pmedia=usbcd if SATA is being treated as USB drive (as Flash said).

Changing that in the ISO should be easy with Puppy's ISO editor.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: It is not that it does not start to boot, but rather...

#7 Post by Flash »

thegoldenstrand wrote:Does Puppy support Sata DVD drives or not?
As should be apparent by now, the answer is yes, but. :)

Puppy has the tools, but you may have to do some tinkering to get it to work on your computer.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

thegoldenstrand

Thanks for the input!

#8 Post by thegoldenstrand »

Thanks again!

Mike