Suggestions for Puppy 2.18

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Pizzasgood

#91 Post by Pizzasgood »

Actually, 2.17 comes pretty close to getting mine right. Except it configures the Server section for my dual head ATI card rather than for the Nvidia card and one head of the ATI card, and it doesn't make the second screen section. So a couple quick tweaks and I'm working.

@Dougal: I was going to run those scripts for you, but when I installed my tv tuner it threw the old Nvidia card out of whack. I haven't sorted out yet whether I just fried the card or what. When I was setting up the tuner, one webpage said it might have problems sharing IRQ addresses, so that might be it. I need to just open up my box and pull out the tuner to see if the Nvidia kicks back in, but first I want to resolder the wire to one of my case fans so I can stick that back in while I have the thing open. Of course, that needs to wait until I get a small soldering iron, because my soldering gun is too bulky, which means waiting until I get around to taking the 45 minute walk to the mall (too cheap to take a bus :) )

But at least I can watch Stargate in the mean time! 8)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

KF6SNJ

#92 Post by KF6SNJ »

I don't like the web browser based printer interface. It has done nothing but fail for me. The old inteface worked better.

linuxcbon

#93 Post by linuxcbon »

I would like to see a smaller puppy with less and smaller progs to keep small iso.
Because "big progs" can be downloaded via PETget.
Replace seamonkey with opera and dillo.

Keep only usefull progs : Gtail not so usefull ? Same for Regexpviewer. Gdmap not so usefull. Same for prename .

Keep only one program to do one thing :
One editor is enough ? uxplor.
why 2 file finders ? 2 files editors ? 2 calculators ? 2 cd ripper ? 2 dvd writer ? Keep only one prog to do all theme settings.
--> make menus simpler for beginners.

linuxcbon

#94 Post by linuxcbon »

Many progs in PETget package manager :
Maybe they can be classified into categories ?

clarf

#95 Post by clarf »

linuxcbon wrote:I would like to see a smaller puppy with less and smaller progs to keep small iso.
Because "big progs" can be downloaded via PETget.
Replace seamonkey with opera and dillo.

Keep only usefull progs : Gtail not so usefull ? Same for Regexpviewer. Gdmap not so usefull. Same for prename .
I totally agree with this suggestion, but Puppy 2.18 seems just don´t go.

Then i would like (a dream maybe or just a petition that hurts no body) a very stable version like 2.16 to be updtated like 2.14R was. To have a 2.16R (or whatever) updated version using the same kernel (Puppy 2.17 never ran in some of my old machines, where 2.16 runs perfect).

i´m a poor linux user and i really don´t care the slackware compat, then puppy 3 series is not what i want. I need a very small and fast version with some new things: i like the sfs compat added in 2.17 version and the fix made to pmount (it mount a drive 2 times faster). I also like some new features in 2.14R (noram boot option).

There is a 2.16CE Project, it´s very good but CE seems to be very big and have things for everybody (but i don´t like or need many of them ), a 2.16R would be a nice approach to be added the 2.x series. It could add some fixes from 2.14R and 2.16CE.

Hope is the last thing that you can lose. Thanks for read this post to the end.