Error attempting "configure" in 1.0.5: no "bc

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
marquitico

You didn't take him seriously, did you?

#16 Post by marquitico »

Now don't get yer knickers in a twist: he's only twelve. Actually, the fact that he should have come up with such an idea indicates most likely the reverse: SERIOUS geek in the making, don't you think? :wink: Poor boy.

Mark
"marquitico"

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

"The Geek shall inherit the Earth" - which is what happened with Bill Gates.

:roll:

Everyone is interested in those who can help sort out their computers - I have taken to feigning ignorance to avoid fixing others computers (done enough of that) Linux is an even better excuse.
XP? I don't use that OS.
However when you are a geek in training, you have to fix everything . . .

Tee hee . . .

PS. Feigning ignorance has been a lot easier since I had the lobotomy
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#18 Post by MU »

XP? I don't use that OS.
hehe, this is a sentence, I also really like to use... when people know you as a "PC-Doctor", you would find no sleep anymore ;)

marquitico

Good Lord

#19 Post by marquitico »

Who would have known that xscreensaver would have been such a pain...

I started all over again just to be sure, and lo and behold, there are differences between 1.0.4 + opttools.sfs and 1.0.5 alpha + usr_devx.sfs.

To recap: I untarred xscreensaver-4.22.tar.gz to /root/my-applications/xscreensaver-4.22

The configure script wants bc. So I installed the bcdc106.pup. It needs a file from a readline package, so I installed readline-4.3-i486-3.tgz from Slackware 10.1. From here I get two different results:

With 1.0.5 alpha + usr_devx.sfs, the configure script won't complete because of the following:

Code: Select all

# ./configure

(several lines removed)

checking for perl5... no
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking perl version... 5.008006
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers 
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for X app-defaults directory... /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults
checking for XPointer... yes
checking whether this is MacOS X... no
configure: error: perl 5.x required for intltool
#
But with 1.0.4 + opttools.sfs, it asks for X11 libraries, instead. I installed x11-devel-6.8.1-i486-3.tgz, also from Slackware 10.1, and the script completes.

But it warns me that the xscreensaver binary will want the GTK libs, the GDK pixbuf libs and the JPEG libs. This is where MU stepped in and kindly pointed me to the GTK website. Following his advice I took everything from the 2.6.10 release (instead of 2.8). And I started in with the dependencies.

The current problem is libpng. The libpng readme asked for zlib, so I went and got zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2.tar. It installed just fine, but upon trying to install libpng, it continues to complain that zlib isn't there.

I've read the zlib readmes but much of the instructions are extremely technical. There isn't a simple "please put BLAH in your path", or "be sure there is a symlink to BLAH located in BLAH".

An adventure it's been. And I've learned more about LINUX in general and Puppy specifically this way than poring over pages of manuals. Nothing like getting your hands dirty. But I'm not quite giving up yet, and besides, Alpha2, when I finally get it, and subsequent releases as well, may make this all academic.

Mark
"marquitico"

PS What I meant by "I started all over again," just to be clear, was that I went out into Windows98 (my home system) and deleted the pup001 and pup002 files to force a clean install of each.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

usr_devx.sfs has Perl 5.8.6, the same as in Vector 5.0STD.
I've compiled heaps and heaps of packages, never had any problem with perl.

Okay, clarification. Here is an extract of the configuration o/p when I compiled Mozilla recently:

Code: Select all

checking for perl5... no
checking for minimum required perl version >= 5.004... 5.008006
checking for full perl installation... yes
Interesting, that version of Perl is straight out of Vector, lifted out, I didn't compile it myself.

All the packages I've thrown at it so far have been happy with that version.
Interesting though, the actual executable is /usr/bin/perl5.8.6
...so, that's what I always thought it was.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#21 Post by BarryK »

I just typed:

# perl -v

and got this:

This is perl, v5.8.6 built for i486-linux

marquitico

Oh, I quite believe you...

#22 Post by marquitico »

BarryK wrote:usr_devx.sfs has Perl 5.8.6, the same as in Vector 5.0STD.
I've compiled heaps and heaps of packages, never had any problem with perl.
I had a bit of a poke about by searching for files with perl in the name as a substring, and convinced myself that, yes, Virginia, Puppy does have Perl. Of course, I wasn't clever enough just to ask it at the command line what version it was, like you did...

I can only imagine that perhaps the configure script is either off, or else is searching for its little needs in too restrictive a fashion. As you might expect from the very first error message I received ("Come back when your vendor has grown a clue."), the INSTALL and README are unhelpful to a newbie. Too much to ask for him to say, "You need BLAH, please have it located HERE, or failing that put in a symbolic link."

Note to Lobster: I fully understand, but unfortunately me mum uses XP, so guess who gets to be Customer Assistance? Feigning ignorance doesn't work awfully well on one's mother. Feigning competence, however, is another matter.

Mark
"marquitico"