Puppy 2.16 install problem(s)

Please post any bugs you have found
Dougal

#31 Post by Dougal »

pupshock wrote:report: Puppy files on CD as seen by WinXP
2.14: All files in UPPercase
2.15: All files in LOWercase
2.16: All files in UPPercase
When copied to NTFS, they retain the Case.
That's an interesting observation...
2.15 wasn't created by Barry, so maybe Barry needs to change something in the way Unleashed creates the iso, so it'll always show up in lower-case.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

BarryK
Puppy Master

#32 Post by BarryK »

Ah, now I know what the problem is!
The iso is deliberately created without Joliet extensions. Sometime ago this was found to cause problems for the multisession CD/DVD.

Therefore, looking at the CD from Windows, you just see it as MSDOS 8.3 file format, which comes up as all upper-case.

Nothing I can do about that, but I have now modified the 'init' script to detect INITRD.GZ, PUP_216.SFS and ZDRV_216.SFS and change them to lower-case.

But, what about GRUB? The first time you attempt to boot, if you specify 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd.gz', is it case-sensitive at that point, before Linux has loaded? I presume not?

The problem does not occur if the Universal Installer is used, as the CD/DVD does have Rock Ridge extensions (long filename support for Linux). Or if you do a manual install from Linux.

pupshock

#33 Post by pupshock »

Grub appears _not_ to be case sensitive before linuz loads:
"linuz" in menu.lst, file LINUZ (uppercase) in the root, could be found.

But after linuz loads:
"initrd.gz" in menu.lst, INITRD.GZ can be found in root but not boot, unless specified: initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd.gz (note the lowercase).

pup_216.sfs could never be found, even tho i had renamed them
lowercase. It could be found only when _all 4 files_ were lowercase.

So that explains 2.16.
And by implication the 2.15CE iso had the Joliet extensions.

vanchutr

Open Office will not display in pup216 final?

#34 Post by vanchutr »

I rename the openoffice.2.2.0.sfs to ooffice_216.sfs then put the new one in same place of pup_save.sfs.
Reboot pupy216 and use BootManager ... and add the ooffice_216.sfs.
That will work

bobn9lvu

Re: Open Office will not display in pup216 final?

#35 Post by bobn9lvu »

vanchutr wrote:I rename the openoffice.2.2.0.sfs to ooffice_216.sfs then put the new one in same place of pup_save.sfs.
Reboot pupy216 and use BootManager ... and add the ooffice_216.sfs.
That will work
If you unchecked the box on the bottom for 2.16 sfs only, you can add
the OO sfs without changing the name...
Worked for me....
Now it would be nice to come out with custom sfs packages,

Multimedia
Grahpics
Scientific
Programming
Ham radio

This feature alone blows away all other distros..

Bob 8)
[color=blue][size=150][b]Puppy Linux - [/b][/size][/color][color=red][size=150][b]Lift your leg at Redmond.[/b][/size][/color] :P :twisted: :P

Dougal

#36 Post by Dougal »

Barry, maybe the problem with multisession cds could be solved by using the "-r" option in mkisofs, rather than the "-R" option?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

BarryK
Puppy Master

#37 Post by BarryK »

All of the iso creation and burning options used for the live-CD have been worked out over a long time, and everything is the way it is for a reason.

If I recall rightly, the '-r' option clears the write attribute of all files that get written to CD, totally messing up the multisession CD.

kleung21

This is EXACTLY the problem/bug that I had

#38 Post by kleung21 »

The filename/uppercase bug is EXACTLY the issue that I've had with my 2.16 install of Puppy.

I had upgraded from a frugal install; transferring the new Puppy files over to the computer via a memory key.

I had used windows to extract the files onto the memory key for transfer.

For the last 2 days, I have been trying everything I could to get it to boot. Finally had to revert back to 2.12 (an older version I had lying around).

HOWEVER, all of a sudden, it worked today after I tried fiddling around with the files -> couldn't figure out why.

This thread explains it beautifully.

When I was fiddling around/copying the files back and forth; at one point I renamed the files manually... Of course, I type in lowercase.

And thus - 2.16 works now.

Just adding my 2 cents to the ongoing thread.

Dougal

#39 Post by Dougal »

Barry, should I remove the "-R" from the remaster script?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

tillerman

#40 Post by tillerman »

It seems, that you are all making it work, but I'm still stuck with the .sfs'es.
- 2.16.0 frugal install on a lifting-a-leg-at-OS-box,
- all .sfs-files placed in c:\ together with the rest of the boot-files, being mnt\home in Puppy,
- no boot-subdirs, no changes to any of the boot-files,
- no capital letters in the filenames,
- openoffice-2.2.0.sfs renamed to oo_216.sfs,
- checkbox uncheked and a reboot.
Typing cc in a console-window gives: no filename (not command unknown), suggesting that devx_216.sfs is loaded and working. Good.
Now comes the problem: I do have the OpenOpffice icons in the submenus, BUT! clikcing on them has no effect. Same thing plagued me in the 2.15CE, that is why I took to the 2.16, but at no avail. The problem persist when booting from the CD. Now, that's a bitch, because the .sfs-idea is a good one, and I expect that a graph-sfs will turn up somewhere down the way. Does anyone have suggestions to try? Like when you play the bass-guitar and the loudspeaker-hum goes away when you turn the plug 180 degrees (it works!). Any such voo-doo-grade suggestions?
Tillerman.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#41 Post by BarryK »

Dougal wrote:Barry, should I remove the "-R" from the remaster script?
Option '-R' works. It is Rock Ridge extensions that keep all file attributes as-is, vital for the multisession CD/DVD.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#42 Post by BarryK »

tillerman wrote: - openoffice-2.2.0.sfs renamed to oo_216.sfs,
Who said you had to rename it? You don't.
You unchecked the checkbox, did you also move 'openoffice-2.2.0.sfs' over to the right pane?

vanchutr

BootManger

#43 Post by vanchutr »

openoffice-2.2.0 renamed oo_216.sfs and loaded with Bootmanager. This worked after reboot.
After reboot you can see that. Click on any item the program start immediately
Attachments
image.gif
(83.9 KiB) Downloaded 707 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#44 Post by BarryK »

Yes, but you don't have to rename it. You can use the SFS Boot Manager to choose to load a SFS file with any name. You just have to untick the checkbox and move the required SFS files over to the right pane, click OK then reboot.

tillerman

#45 Post by tillerman »

Barry wrote:
Who said you had to rename it? You don't.
Yeah, well, when you run out of qualified ideas, you sometimes start shooting in the dark. At times, the programs shoot back, out of the dark! Well, I counter-renamed the .sfs, re-downloaded it, md5sum-checked it, rebooted, and the rest shows in the screenshot, but - still no dice! The OO-icons are present, but when I click them, nothing happens.
tillerman

Dougal

#46 Post by Dougal »

BarryK wrote:
Dougal wrote:Barry, should I remove the "-R" from the remaster script?
Option '-R' works. It is Rock Ridge extensions that keep all file attributes as-is, vital for the multisession CD/DVD.
Oops... I got myself all confused, with the Rock Ridge and Joliet thing... I'll just make sure there's no "-J" there.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

joki

multiple puppy 2.xx versions and 2.16 frugally installed

#47 Post by joki »

i think it would be useful if the 2.16 (frugal) install issues and workarounds could be detailed in a sticky announcement. i needed 2.12 and 2.16 both frugally installed on my win98 c drive (fat hda1). If anyone's interested the only config that worked:

For 2.12 : put vmlinuz and initrd.gz in a folder /pup212
All 2.12's sfs files and pup_save.3fs must remain in the root (presumably 2.16 was going to be able to have the sfs files in a nominated folder too?)
Create batch file to run 2.12:
cd \pup212
loadlin.exe vmlinuz rw init=/etc/init root=/dev/ram0 lang=us initrd=initrd.gz

For 2.16 : put vmlinuz and initrd.gz in root of drive c and all it's sfs files and pup_save.2fs must also be in the root.
Batch file to run 2.16:
cd\
loadlin.exe vmlinuz rw init=/etc/init root=/dev/ram0 initrd=initrd.gz

i have tried passing various combos of PSAVEDIR=/pup216, PDEV1=hda1, PFILE=pup_216.sfs all to no avail.

--

My outstanding questions regarding puppy 2.16:

1. have tried PUPSAVE=ext2,hda1,pup_save.2fs but the loader still asks me to choose which save file to use. i've pup_save.3fs for 2.12, and pup_save.2fs for 2.16 (2.12 doesn't look for the 2fs thankfully)

2. sfs boot manager - why won't it allow you to select sfs's with _puppuversion in the name (eg winexx_212.sfs)? I understand there will be trouble if the wrong devx sfs is selected but some sfs's will work fine on many puppy versions, wine being one. Since puppys earlier than 2.16 require the version in the filename the only option for 'dual puppy frug installs' is to have multiple copies of the sfs files. win98 users could use .bat files to rename as necessary but xp users are stuck with ntlr/grub

I can see things are getting more slick/polished in the 2.16 front-end. this can only help bring more interest :) , but it would be nice if startup stuff was more retro-friendly and modular...

bobn9lvu

#48 Post by bobn9lvu »

The boot manager DOES allow one to use the Puppy version.
DO NOT UNCHECK the box towards the bottom,
and rename up to 3 sfs with _"VERSION",
or (OO_2.16.sfs) to automagically load em on boot.

Bob 8)
[color=blue][size=150][b]Puppy Linux - [/b][/size][/color][color=red][size=150][b]Lift your leg at Redmond.[/b][/size][/color] :P :twisted: :P

joki

#49 Post by joki »

bobn9lvu wrote:The boot manager DOES allow one to use the Puppy version.

Bob 8)
this is exactly the problem! i have winexx_212.sfs which i want to use for both puppy 2.12 and 2.16 which are frugally stored on drive c.
2.16 boot manager specifically states that it excludes from selection all sfs files like _nnn.sfs where nnn not equal to 216.

bobn9lvu

#50 Post by bobn9lvu »

joki wrote:
bobn9lvu wrote:The boot manager DOES allow one to use the Puppy version.

Bob 8)
this is exactly the problem! i have winexx_212.sfs which i want to use for both puppy 2.12 and 2.16 which are frugally stored on drive c.
2.16 boot manager specifically states that it excludes from selection all sfs files like _nnn.sfs where nnn not equal to 216.
Well, then do it manually by unchecking the box, and selecting which sfs you want to load, THEN you do NOT have to rename them for each version of Puppy...

Bob 8)