216rc kernel panic

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#16 Post by BarryK »

Dougal wrote:Barry, I don't think you used the my latest update of the installer -- the USB HD problem was solved after people sent me the results of the HW-test dotpup and I found that removable HDs are actually recognized as non-removable.

Why have you added the grub-style device names in the grub entries (initrd hd(0,0)/boot/initrd.gz)? it has been working fine for me all this time without them (initrd /boot/initrd.gz).
Dougal, I just did very quick hacks with what I knew worked. People were complaining about install paths, so I also took out the /boot/puppy216.

I didn't use your latest as the comment at the top stated that you had implemented something -- I forget now -- anyway, I didn't realise there were other changes. If I recall, I used your vesion of 9thMay.

If that removable/non-removable flag can be used to distinguish between USB Flash and HDDs, that is great.

I've been delaying release of 2.16, too long. It's coming out today as-is. The Installer is a continually evolving project and updates will of course be available in the future.

tytower

#17 Post by tytower »

Err If it don't work, dont release it ,you are only harming yourself. Whats the rush anyway?

2.15CE has now not worked for me in two vital areas , audio sound board not recognised and now a problem with the universal installer.

I see a hack is required for another vital area ,the modem.

Crikey !

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#18 Post by GuestToo »

i find that often about 80% of the time required to make a package is in debugging and polishing, to make sure it works properly in every case

if i were putting together a distro, it would be ready when it was ready ... i wouldn't feel pressured to meet an arbitrary deadline, unless there actually was a real deadline that actually had to be met

pakt

#19 Post by pakt »

I agree that skipping over this Universal Installer issue just to rush 2.16 out the door is not the way to go.
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

alienjeff

#20 Post by alienjeff »

Calm down! So what if the Universal Installer doesn't work as "advertised." Get a grip, for goodness sake. At least it isn't something important ...

Look on the bright side: the eight calculators and seventeen text editors all work fine!

</sarcasm>
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Gn2

#21 Post by Gn2 »

Think of it as a "positive":
If it can't be installed - it positively eliminates frets over not shutting down - clean or otherwise !

Calculated :twisted: in eight weighs or naught_

Leon

#22 Post by Leon »

I take it as a spirit of puppy that inspired this distribution.
I take it as it is, with its good things and its problems.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#23 Post by BarryK »

Tch, tch, guys, the Universal Installer shipped in 2.16final does work. Dougal and I were discussing fine points that will improve it.

Regarding "shipping when it's ready", well, although some projects claim that's what they do, what they really mean is "ship it when the bugs have reduced to a passable level". All major projects ship with known bugs!

I didn't ship 2.16 to meet a deadline. I decided it is ready, and decided that outstanding issues were small enough to leave for now. I have a small list of known bugs also, that I consider small enough or unlikely to be encountered in most cases.