chromium browser

Please post any bugs you have found
frozenorange

chromium browser

#1 Post by frozenorange »

After downloading chromium and dependencies, was told you cant use Chromium as root. Tried to use it as spot. Was met with the same, you cant use Chromium as root. What a waste! :?:

Terryphi

#2 Post by Terryphi »

Easily fixed to run as root. :)
What Puppy are you using. If Precise do this:

Change permissions:

#chmod 4755 /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser-sandbox

Amend exec line in /usr/share/applications/chromium-browser.desktop as follows
:

Exec=/usr/lib/chromium=browser/chromium-browser --user-data-dir=/root/.config/chromium --disk-cache-size=2000000 --media-cache-size=2000000

If you are using a different Puppy version the relevant directories and files may be named differently. Compare your directory structure and file names with the above and amend instructions accordingly if necessary.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

rameshiyer

Chromium Browser

#3 Post by rameshiyer »

I will get ride of root problem by adding few words in the execution file i.e like --user-data-dir. It is working for me.

peebee

#4 Post by peebee »

This is not a bug - it is a feature of Puppy always running as root....

Have you looked in Browsers & Internet section of the forum - there you will find a number of pre-packaged versions of Chromium with the fixes applied.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

MochiMoppel

#5 Post by MochiMoppel »

It appeared to be fixed now.

I just downloaded google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb and used undeb to dump the files to a USB stick. I then tried to run opt/google/chrome/google-chrome but received the usual can't run as root error message.

I then installed the deb file normally (no menu entry though), found the file /usr/bin/google-chrome and ran it. Bingo! This file was present in the undebbed folders, but only as a corrupted symlink. Changed it with the "real" file from the installed folder, and now also my undebbed version works.

File contents:
#!/bin/sh
exec /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --user-data-dir=/root/.config/chrome --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 "$@"

P.S.: Ups.. I just noticed that the thread is about Chromium, not Google Chrome, but hopefully above applies to Chromium as well