DotPups

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#76 Post by GuestToo »

i don't know why, but the aterm Home and End keys do not work in Puppy 1.0.2

before, it used the rxvt options

maybe i compiled a different version (i don't remember) or maybe Puppy 1.0.2 works a little differently

anyway, if aterm options are added to .Xdefaults it works properly again

i fixed the aterm dotpup so it works properly ... if you download and install the aterm dotpup again, the Home and End keys should work (after you run aterm at least once by clicking the roxapp icon)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#77 Post by GuestToo »

Leafpad 0.8.1

edit: 24/08/2006 attachment deleted

this is not registered by PupGet, so it should be automatically uninstalled by a Puppy upgrade

http://tarot.freeshell.org/leafpad/
Last edited by GuestToo on Thu 24 Aug 2006, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#78 Post by GuestToo »

DotPup template

this puts a few scripts in /root/tmp/gtkfind
to demonstrate how easy it is to make a dotpup package

the dir can be copied and the scripts edited slightly
to make your own dotpup package
(right click the scripts and click Open As Text)

it's all setup to make a gtkfind dotpup
just click make-tar, then make-pup to make a gtkfind dotpup package

click the dotpup.pup file to install gtkfind in my-roxapps
Attachments
gtkfind-template.pup
gtkfind DotPup template
(35.32 KiB) Downloaded 3672 times

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#79 Post by GuestToo »

Parted 1.6.19

command line (text) partitioning tool

** WARNING *** i have NOT TESTED this in Puppy Linix
it may not work properly with Puppy's library files
you could possibly lose your data

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#80 Post by GuestToo »

Downloader for Puppy Unleashed 1.0.3

this puts a downloader program in my-documents
copy it to the dir you want to download Unleashed to
click it to download Unleashed

downloads all the files automatically
checks the md5sums so you are sure it downloaded ok

(actually, you would be sure that the files you download are identical to the files i have on my drive ... which may not be what Barry has on his drive)

an official md5sum file for the packages would be nice ... and Barry uploaded an md5sum file ... but the md5sums for most of the files i downloaded are not they same as the md5sums in the md5sum file)

the whole idea is to take the md5sums of your files, and if they match the md5sums of the files you downloaded, then you are sure your files are identical byte for byte to the original files, none missing, and no files extra

anyway, i made my own md5sum file, and downloaded unleashed 1.0.3 again, and the files were exact duplicates of the files i downloaded the first time

pic, using the server's md5sum file: http://tinypic.com/5uqzie
pic, using my md5sum file: http://tinypic.com/5uqzqb

if the files on the server are changed at all in any way, of course the md5sums will not match anymore

basically, just click the program to download Unleashed
Attachments
download-unleashed-103.pup
Downloader for Puppy Unleashed 1.0.3
(11.28 KiB) Downloaded 1111 times

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#81 Post by GuestToo »

Icewm Menu for Puppy 1.0.3

i diff'ed .jwmrc with 1.0.2's .jwmrc and fixed/added a few other menu items

there may be some menu items still missing, and some menu items that show up although the programs are not really installed
Attachments
icewm-menu-103.pup
Icewm Menu for Puppy 1.0.3
(4.87 KiB) Downloaded 1584 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Can DotPup uninstall? Any plans?

#82 Post by Lobster »

GuestToo wrote:Top for Puppy 1.0.2

Busybox's top doesn't seem to work with the 2.6 kernel

this installs top in /usr/bin
(this package does not register with PupGet, so if you upgrade, the top should be automatically uninstalled)
it also installs a library file (libproc.so) in my-applications/lib
Ahem . . . this seemed to be pointing to the GNU web page (from the wiki page)
so I did not know what it was. In a surge of uncharateristic bravery I though I best install it. As I am using 1.0.3 I probably no longer need it?

Am I safe? Do I need help? Uninstalling? Getpup uninstalls. Will there be a new DotPup/further integration? Info to the usual authorities . . .

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

Top, Busybox

#83 Post by GuestToo »

top is a program written by Gnu ("Gnu's not Unix)
it is one of the basic utility programs, like ls, chmod, date, netstat .... (which is why the link to that page ... that's where you will find the source)

the basic Gnu Utilities are about 20 megs, zipped

Busybox is a program for smaller Linux implementations that replaces many of these utilities with one smaller executable file

for example, you can type busybox top to run the busybox equivalent of top ... or type busybox chmod to run busybox's equivalent of chmod ... all of these programs are all contained in one fairly small executable file

if a symlink to busybox is created called top, then busybox will run as if it were named top ... so running the symlink to busybox called top will run busybox's equivalent to top ... running the symlink to busybox called chmod will run busybox's equivalent to chmod

in the version of busybox that Puppy has, top doesn't work properly with the 2.6 kernel

my dotpup installs the real top Gnu-Utility program where the busybox symlink is (/usr/bin/top ... type which top

it's a small program ... works with either kernel ... it displays more information and can do more things than the busybox replacement

many of my dotpups have Uninstaller functions ... just click the dotpup again to uninstall the program ... i don't think my top dotpup has an uninstall function ... to uninstall, you can delete /root/.usr/bin/top (and probably reboot, or remount /usr ... unionfs doesn't seem to like it when you delete files behind it's back)

short answer ... you can install the top dotpup in any version of Puppy ... for older versions of Puppy in which /usr is read-only, you can install top in another dir that is writeable

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Many thanks

#84 Post by Lobster »

I gets it

Many thanks. Going to have a go at Monkey server. So far so good. I am not quite sure I can have a server if I have single static address with four computer nodes?

It is coming through an adsl/firewall

However the monkey has a cute smile and that is enough for me . . .

Downloaded and used the 1.0.3 ice menu - very good 8)

. . . and while I am asking newby question :oops:
how do I zip/tar a file
using rox I would go to where the file is
open a terminal there with a right click
then what?
I am trying to upload a sound file in one of these allowed files to the forum
ace gtar gz pup rar tar zip

Would gz be the best for compression?
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 24 Jun 2005, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#85 Post by GuestToo »

if you are running a firewall in Puppy, you probably need to configure the firewall to allow incoming tcp on the port you are using

your server will probably be accessible on the other 3 machines on your local network ... if the ip of your Puppy machine is 192.168.0.3, then the url would be something like http://192.168.0.3:51234/

if you forward the port you are using in the cable/dsl/modem/router to your machine, then your server should be available on the internet

if your Puppy machine's local ip address is 192.168.0.3 and you are using port 51234, then you would forward port 51234 to 192.168.0.3

the url would be the url of your router/modem ... you can get the ip address here (and other places): http://www.whatismyip.com/

if the ip is 216.109.118.79 and the port is 51234, then the url of your server would be http://216.109.118.79:51234/

you could use TkZip to make a zip file ... click File, New Archive ... i've never tried that, i usually just use the command line

you could type zip -9 my-zip-file.zip my-sound-file.au which will zip a file called my-sound-file.au and put it in a file called my-zip-file.zip

gz is usually a little smaller than zip
zipping a compressed file like a jpg or png or rmp3 or au probably won't make it smaller anyway ... it's already compressed

when you gzip a file ... the default is to delete the original file

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#86 Post by GuestToo »

Ctorrent 1.3.2
Attachments
ctorrent132.pup
Ctorrent 1.3.2
(30.05 KiB) Downloaded 2493 times

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#87 Post by GuestToo »

Ctorrent 1.3.4
Attachments
ctorrent134.pup
Ctorrent 1.3.4
(30.25 KiB) Downloaded 2255 times

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#88 Post by GuestToo »

this adds Script and WebPage templates
to rox-filer's New menu
Attachments
rox-template1.pup
this adds Script and WebPage to rox-filer's New menu
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 1439 times

Bruce B

#89 Post by Bruce B »

GuestToo, rox-template1.pup is very cleaver and useful.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Rox improvements

#90 Post by Lobster »

Yes very useful tweak. One of the things that I notice (is it a linux thing?) is when I open two Rox windows (in fact a dual rox should be an easy script?)

ahem . . . (keep focussed Lobbie) when I open two Rox windows and drag an icon from one to other locale . . . I have two icons

Soon like coat hangers the icons are everywhere? Any way to drag and delete original location?

PS. Thanks for the zip info which I am using to great effect . . .
PPS. also now that we have Ice and Flux any plans for Xfce Window Manager?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

ROX tips

#91 Post by GuestToo »

to move (or copy or symlink) a file, drag the file with the middle mouse button (the wheel)

to open 2 or more rox windows from a script, just include the paths for each window

for example, to open rox windows showing my-applications and my-documents, type:

rox /root/my-applications /root/my-documents

you can also open files, like txt files, mp3 files, html files ... they will open with whatever program rox would use if you clicked the file ... for example:

rox readme.txt movie.avi

to open a new rox window, you can click a folder or the home button or the up-arrow button with the middle mouse button

rox bookmarks are useful too ... you can open a rox window showing my-documents, press ctrl+4, and instantly go to my-documents any time by pressing 4 ... similarly, you can set a bookmark to show my-applications when you press 5

you can add items to the SendTo menu from a script or a dotpup the same way as i added template items to the New menu

#92 Post by Guest »

I finally downloaded and installed GNUchess and eboard :-) Lovely!

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#93 Post by GuestToo »

Gpm text-mode mouse driver

Read gpm.txt in my-documents

http://linux.schottelius.org/gpm/
Attachments
gpm-mouse-driver.pup
Gpm text-mode mouse driver
(49.07 KiB) Downloaded 1711 times

Mathiasdm

#94 Post by Mathiasdm »

Anonymous wrote:I finally downloaded and installed GNUchess and eboard :-) Lovely!
That was me. Apparently, I wasn't logged in :?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: ROX tips

#95 Post by Lobster »

GuestToo wrote:to move (or copy or symlink) a file, drag the file with the middle mouse button (the wheel)
Wot? Middle mouse button? It's worn away . . .
No wait I never had one . . . I did try (have in the last 3 versions of Puppy) my other mouse which is a scroll mouse - serial type. Puppy is a bit skitty on this - so not working. Is it worth investing in a 3 button Linux mouse or a scroll mouse, or can I use the olde click both buttons to simulate the 3rd button trick? - somehow?)

PS. Many thanks for the tips 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)