ChurchPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
KF6SNJ

#181 Post by KF6SNJ »

You are talking about the New English Translation, if I am correct? If so, then BibleDesktop already has access to that. Still, it would be a nice preset bookmark for SeaMonkey. As a seminary student, I like having access to reference materials, and if I don't have to open a web browser to find a reference, I prefer not to. To this extreme, I still prefer to use actual books versus digital media. Still, I do use BibleDesktop when I am working on papers and summaries. It is easier to copy and paste text than it is to manually type it from a book. There is a certain balance that one must attempt to maintain. Be that as it may, there may be a good idea in having both BibleDesktop and preset bookmark to the free NET Bible. However, I would also suggest a bookmark to the World English Bible for comparative purposes. Just the student in me.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

LOF

#182 Post by LOF »

Subito Piano wrote:Say, when is the target date for the alpha??
Err, sorry guys still stalling. Will wait at least until 3.00 is out fully.
Perhaps around the same time as Community Edition development?

Sorry again.
Cheers,

[b]LOF[/b]
:D

edoc

#183 Post by edoc »

LOF wrote:
Subito Piano wrote:Say, when is the target date for the alpha??
Err, sorry guys still stalling. Will wait at least until 3.00 is out fully.
Perhaps around the same time as Community Edition development?

Sorry again.
No problem - I am also holding off some stuff waiting on the massive changes that
v3.00 is bringing.

Anyone here tested 3.00BETA yet?

On the other post I used WordSearch when I was at seminary for my master's and my
doctorate and honestly do not believe I would have been able to study and work if I
did not have the efficiency that tool provided.

I am looking forward to a solid Bible study ChurchPup as a resource as a pastor and
one to share with others.

A 3.00 Puppy base with a Christian-friendly GUI and some basic resources tied to
a resource base from which to select other tools is a very exciting prospect!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

KF6SNJ

#184 Post by KF6SNJ »

edoc wrote: I am looking forward to a solid Bible study ChurchPup as a resource as a pastor and
one to share with others.

I can whole heartedly agree with that. I am merely a seminary student, but I like having access to resources when I need them. That is part of why I am liking BibleDesktop so much. It actually has access to resources that BibleTime doesn't (Book of Concord). To me, its totally awesome.

Given that my three independent study projects for the summer along with accompanying gospel summaries (I was working with the synoptics) are done, I am preparing myself for Introduction to Old Testament I and I my studying Greek during my free time. I love having access to the different lexicons and books that are available via BibleDesktop. Still, I would happily consider other resources if they work well and are relatively easy to use.

Subito Piano

ProCon for SeaMonkey

#185 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi again!

Good thot for waiting for version 3.0 (esp. w/ my ancient laptop!!)

IDK what you are pursuing for content filtering, but i wrote Corvineum (author of ProCon Latte) and he sent me a version that will work in SeaMonkey 1.x. I posted his two e-mails and a link to the SeaMonkey ProCon extension here if you are interested.

When SeaMonkey 2.0 comes out, it is supposed to work with all FireFox extensions....

Blessings!

Subito Piano

#186 Post by Subito Piano »

Wow - forget the Seamonkey version of Procon (above). It just did NOT work for me.

No posts here in a while!?!? Is there a target release date?

LOF

#187 Post by LOF »

Hi all

Sorry again for the delay. Am restarting looking into it again. Did anyone have a way of getting GXBible to load on startup? It's a great little program and I can't wait to see it used to it's full potential.

As to release date, I don't really want to tie myself down to a day and then possibly change it again later. But probably think end of October.

Content filtering still a problem. Any other suggestions?

Thanks to all those that are still waiting.
Cheers,

[b]LOF[/b]

PrairieDog

#188 Post by PrairieDog »

LOF wrote:Did anyone have a way of getting GXBible to load on startup?
Hello Brothers
GXBible will load at startup if you add a line in /root/.xinitrc right before the line which reads:

which $CURRENTWM && exec $CURRENTWM (that's line 130 down near the bottom)

that says: /root/my-applications/GXBible

It will launch before the window manager does so you won't see the border on the gxmessage window. There are probably other ways of doing it.

I think the .xinitrc file is a little different in each version and will almost certainly be overwritten if the puppy is ever upgraded. <<Just a random thought there.

It's Sunday morning here, I pray that Jesus is Lord of whatever day it is where you are. (I understand it's yesterday in some places.. or is that tomorrow?)

Maranatha
Attachments
xintrc.png
(11.62 KiB) Downloaded 805 times

LOF

#189 Post by LOF »

Thanks for that brother. Will try it out in a moment.

Hope everyone else had/will have/is having a great Sunday.
Cheers,

[b]LOF[/b]

Subito Piano

#190 Post by Subito Piano »

My only suggestions on content filtering are still either (1) include ProCon with Firefox (or with SeaMoknkey 2 when it comes out) and bury Dillo in the menu, or (2) use DansGuardian. I don't have the requisite technical prowess, but if someone could put together some sort of easy-to-use GUI interface for DansGuardian in Puppy, or somehow port the one used in Ubuntu Christian Edition, that would be IDEAL.

The only other option i can think of is to use Firefox and put some sort of notice within ChurchPup pointing users to the ProCon extension, along with instructions on how to remove any alternate browsers. This would give parents and others something fairly workable, if imperfect.

Oh - another thought -- i tried Cybersitter under WINE and it did NOT work. Has anyone found a Windoze program that works under WINE? At least it could be recommended to users. (Yeah, i know, that's a REALLY imperfect solution.....)

PrairieDog

#191 Post by PrairieDog »

Subito Piano wrote:My only suggestions on content filtering are still either (1) include ProCon.....bury Dillo in the menu.
Just tried ProCon out on Firefox. Seems very effective! Not absolute protection by any means but a good reminder to "Not go there" Plus the main filter settings allow for a little creativity.

By the way assuming we're talking about Puppy 3.00 and beyond,deleting /usr/share/applications/Netsurf-web-browser.desktop will remove the Netsurf browser from the menu (Dillos latest replacement) Another good idea. (Wish I'd thought of that)

Mark
Attachments
procon.png
(20.15 KiB) Downloaded 773 times

KF6SNJ

#192 Post by KF6SNJ »

I happen to like having dillo as a backup browser. I tend to use seamonkey exclusively for anything related to puppy and opera as my general purpose web browser. I feel that firefox is beginning to become a bit bloated.

I just upgraded from 2.17.1 to 3.0 and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. Still have printer difficulties (though now part of the problem is with the printer itself). However, BibleDesktop works so smoothly in 3.0 I don't see need for a different tool, lest it can be proven more useful and shown to have more access to more reference materials.

As a seminary student, I have to think in terms of what can be used for reference material. It's been really nice having access to the Book of Concord and also the Works of Josephus on my computer. I am preparing to do a concurrent independent study on Genesis along side my Intro to Old Testament class and I would think I'd have a rough time if I couldn't consult with a Concordance or Commentary from time to time on those things I may have difficulty with. BibleDesktop offers access to those. So, I guess that unless GXbible or some other software can be found that has as much or more access to resource as BibleDesktop, it won't be much use to me. Just my $0.00002.

Subito Piano

#193 Post by Subito Piano »

Firefox may be bloated, but perhaps the 3.0 Puppy is so lightweight it makes up for that? SeaMonkey can always be added later, of course. Whatever the final porduct is there will be compromises -- or perhaps a couple different versions of ChurchPup??

IF ChurchPup uses FIrefox/ProCon and includes Dillo, is there any way to block pictures from Dillo by default (or an easy way for a parent to do that, with included instructions)?

FWIW, i was trained that part of brainstorming is that there are no "wacky" ideas -- you look at every possible option and others refine them if possible...you know, stretching the imagination, thinking out of the box and all that.

KF6SNJ

#194 Post by KF6SNJ »

I prefer to "think around the box" rather than merely outside the box. Perhaps that is due to the industry in which I am employed.

I've been using 3.00 for about a week now and I am impressed. However, I would rather not install firefox. I have found it pretty easy to block objectionable web sites using Opera, so I don't see a need to add anything more in that regard.

As for Bible Study software, I am fully aware that it may not be possible to find one tool that everyone will like. Part of that may be due to how some of us feel about certain translations of the Bible. That is to say some of may only want a tool to parse the text of the KJV. Others may want something that will also for some menial textual comparative study between the Greek, Hebrew, and a given English text. Still others, such as myself, will want a more robust tool that can accomodate comparative textual studies and also reference lexicons, concordances, and commentaries. That is probably why there has been some discussion of gxBible, BRS, and BibleDesktop, not to mention the suggestion of a dedicated bookmark to BibleGateway.com.

Perhaps it may be that a poll will be needed to determine what Bible Study software will be included. From there, any additional software can be installed by the person desiring that particular software. If I have to, I can re-install BibleDesktop, though I'd rather not.

Subito Piano

#195 Post by Subito Piano »

Well, by "outside the box" i simply mean to stretch one's thinking beyond convention--kinda like Barry must have done when he started this whole thing.. :-)

I'm curious--how do you block sites with Opera? I mean, is it site-by-site manual blocking, or is it content filtering? I am aware that ProCon is not as good as, say, CyberSitter or DansGuardian, but i don't think we are going to get DansGuardian. My main interest is protecting kids at school from accidents, and if Puppy can somehow do that, i would be thrilled. Having any good Bible study software would be an added plus, in that this is a Christian school.

KF6SNJ

#196 Post by KF6SNJ »

Subito Piano wrote:
I'm curious--how do you block sites with Opera?
It's pretty much a site by site thing. There about 1/2 dozen sites I have already blocked in case Jeremiah gets to my computer when I go for coffee. Normally he stays clear of my computer, especially since he has one now in his room and its NOT networked (he's only five, he doesn't need internet access yet).

As for ChurchPup, I still think a poll may prove useful to see who wants what Bible Study tool in it. I show my hand now though and repeat myself in saying that unless somebody can show me how GXBible, BRS, or something else is more useful with access to more reference sources (concordances, lexicons, variant texts, etc) than BibleDesktop, I am very much in favor of BibleDesktop.

LOF

#197 Post by LOF »

As far as I'm concerned no poll is really required. Does anyone have a problem with having both BibleDesktop and GXBible? That's what I'm probably going to go with.
Cheers,

[b]LOF[/b]

KF6SNJ

#198 Post by KF6SNJ »

I could live with that. For some, that may seem the best of both. Seems fair, that's for certain.

:idea:

edoc

#199 Post by edoc »

Has anyone considered the free NEXT Bible Study Resource?

http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=3086

Pretty exceptional resources provided for free download.

It is amazing how much one learns when reading the translator's notes.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#200 Post by edoc »

Ooops! Sorry, wrong thread ... :oops:
[b]Thanks! David[/b]