wwwoffle

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
koolie

wwwoffle

#1 Post by koolie »

WWWOffle is a web proxy/cache. It lets you browse offline the pages you have visited.
It does what other proxies do, and more. (But it's not Squid) :)
Extensively and easily configurable, but you need to RTFM.
Where it is especially good (IMHO) is for grabbing files (esp. videos etc)
that are not normally cached. (save youtube videos as .flv instead of .wmv etc).

Commands are:
wwwoffled to start it. You can put this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to start at boot.
wwwoffle -online to put it on line.
wwwoffle -offline to put it offline. You can put these in taskbar buttons or icons to make life easy,
or type them all in RXVT if u like typing.

Point your web browser at 127.0.0.1 port 8080, and you are in business.

Really excellent documentation is available at
http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/wwwoffle/ Read it.
There are also docs under /user/share/doc, and man pages.

wwwoffle.pup is available at
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Internet/wwwoffle.pup

mouldy

#2 Post by mouldy »

The above dotpup doesnt seem to work on Puppy 5.3.3 when installed with dotpuphandler. Since there is no feedback from anybody using this dotpup, on this thread, I dont know if dotpuphandler isnt installing it correctly or if the dotpup was even correctly compiled in first place.

I found this deb pkg http://pkgs.org/debian-squeeze/debian-m ... /download/

It installs easily through Puppy package manager and it responds with options info when I call it from commandline. In other words it works. So if you want to try wwwoffle without compiling it yourself, this is an option.

I am still experimenting how I want to use it. Luckily original Puppy forum poster above gives info enough to get started. The poster on MintLinux forum where I originally found mention of it suggests adding QuickProxy extension for Firefox so wwwoffle can be switched on and off with one click from browser itself. This is good in case some site doesnt like proxies.

Not specifically to do with wwwoffle. But I have been on quest to make surfing with dialup worth doing. Thats how I ran across wwwoffle.... But found use of AdblockPlus, NO SCRIPT, and FasterFox extensions does wonders. Textize extension also useful in some cases, though a textized webpage loses ability to enter information and interact, just hyperlinks still work.

Seems real reason dialup is super slow to load non-static pages anymore isnt so much the images as its still slow with images toggled off and flash not even installed. Its that websites freeload on their visitors by running huge number scripts in background including calling ones from third party sites that have nothing to do with webpage functionality, they collect info on visitors and probably track them. This uses visitors' bandwidth and computer resources instead of their own. Not really that noticable even on slowest of broadband connections, but in comparison, dialup has extremely small amount bandwidth available, so all these scripts running hidden in background bottlenecks loading of actual webpage slowing process to a crawl. No Script stops this and pages load like they did ten years ago on dialup. Now some functionality is lost depending how much the website depends on javascript for navigation of the website. No Script can be set to allow some javascript function which usually allows for basic navigation, but some sites are so poorly designed unless you let it all run, nothing works.