eXpand v2.15 - BARBIE REVAMPED

News, happenings
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#16 Post by Lobster »

Hello Ladies . . .

I'm in (posting from Gal Pup now)

Thanks Raffy, thanks Laurent.

Used the puppy pfix = ram option and during the graphics set up changed to serial mouse
So now with a serial mouse (no USB) and I got in with xorg - but mouse would not work
plugged in the ps2 mouse
pressed ctrl + alt + backspace and ran xorgwizard
xwin

Now I have xorg, working (but very jerky) mouse and full access to the games and internet

This has a LOT to explore. Might powerdown and remove serial mouse
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

lvds

#17 Post by lvds »

Hi all,

@Lobster and Raffy,

This happens since i have updated the puppyserialdetect coming from Dougal. In /usr/sbin you will find a backup of the previous version of puppyserialdetect in case of need.

I have also noticed it is ok with an USB mouse and Xorg BUT your usb have to be plugged on an USB port with electric alimentation. I have tested on other computers and not all USB ports are the same. For example in a notebook with 4 usb ports, only 1 port was able to handle the mouse correctly !

So test your mouse on every usb ports you have. Meanwhile, we need to connect Dougal to this and send him reports on differents mouse behavior we might find.

I suggest to stay with the new puppyserialdetect from Dougal.

Another trick, on a 3 year old computer i had to disable USB LEGACY for having the USB mouse running ok in Xorg.

I hope you will persist as i can assure you it runs very fine once you have found your needed config. And i think we are working like guides because soon v2.16 will be out with the same updated scripts ;-)

Best regards,
Laurent.

lvds

Re: Using USB mouse and Xvesa

#18 Post by lvds »

raffy wrote:Xorg would not launch, so I tried Xvesa, but got no ps2 mouse working (same as Lobster's). So I plugged in a USB mouse and restarted the PC. Then all the fun started! :D
Hi,

yes, perhaps the simpler solution is from now on to use an USB adaptor on PS2 mouses, or a USB mouse ; but choose the USB port you will use carefully as they are not the same, if it does not work on one, move your mouse into another USB port.
raffy wrote:Side-effect: Now am using two mice and both are working. :roll:
On notebooks we also have touchpad, working as well ;-)
raffy wrote:I will proudly show this to my kids and give feedback in a week or two of use. Meantime, any tips about how to get Xorg and ps2 mouse working will be appreciated.
Perhaps the simpler will be to use cheap USB/ps2 adaptor for mouse.

...ABOUT FUN NOW :D
Though there are many games for offline use, you will find some great games online. Here is tip. Install JAVA from the more-software menus and then go to fun menu, games websites, then Zylom games... You will find here a selection of what is best running into puppy while being able to play online !!! Boys usually love breakout games (Atlantis and Egypt are really great), while GIRLS love Cake-Mania or Bejeweled, everyone loves RocketMania and Dynomite ;-)

Some games even not need JAVA to be loaded, just test by yourself. A few have been reported as working only with wine.

Anyway, for people having crossover or wine you will notice that by registering yourself FOR FREE you win a FREE downloadable windows game of your choice !

Registering you FOR FREE allows also to participate into high scores contests and have your scores uploaded to Zylom which is great to compare to friends 8)

Best regards,
Laurent.

drongo

#19 Post by drongo »

Thanks lvds,

Posting from xPand v2.15 Barbie revamped now. Had mouse problems with a touchpad on a laptop but I'm on a desktop now. I'm impressed that one of your two extra USB wifi drivers happens to match my wifi stick.

Like the eclectic collection of links, screensavers, changing wallpaper and all that good stuff.

Incidentally, I think Lobster meant "Barbie" to refer to the Australian term for barbecue not the pink-obsessed plastic doll!

Actually, Lobster, can you think of a good code-name for the hermaphrodite version of Puppy that the alien yclept Geoffrey will be creating for us?

drongo

:D

lvds

#20 Post by lvds »

Hi,

For all people having mouse problems or usb problems i encourage to post details into this thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17575
so to let know Dougal about and eventually solve problems.

It will be best than to post here. Also send your mouse status by doing the following:

- in a terminal type "puppyserialdetect" and copy results
- in a terminal type "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" and copy results

This will be very helpfull.

Best regards,
Laurent.

cthisbear

#21 Post by cthisbear »

( lvds

For all people having mouse problems or usb problems i encourage to post details into this thread )

Unfortunately here is a reason why women won't run a computer.
Let alone introduce people to Puppy...but hey! you have to do this to get it working.....that's a Vista approach.

The last thing I want after fixing Windows machines is to boot up with
a problem.
I have often mentioned I still run Puppy 1.07 for Banking etc...brilliant for its time and still going strong.

Puppy has gone way past this point of mouse detection and I am sorry but this aint good enough. Like a cake entered into a contest, with the finest ingredients in it.. and not baked long enough.

A day or 2 more testing with happier results.
Even put it out as as Test release...with appropriate warnings.>>Mouse detection will be crap etc.

I don't want to go to command lines or whatever to get it working.
Not interested..no matter how many hours went into it.

Ungrateful ...yes. Unreasonable ..yes.
But this is why Linux distros need to work period.
It's not 10 years ago and hours spent trying to install some distro like Mandrake etc. No wonder people hated Linux if those samples were their
introduction to Linux.
Stupid is stupid and dumb is dumb.

Teen Puppy was a goer because just about everything worked out of the box. And the Bloody mouse worked.

Chris

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#22 Post by Lobster »

:)

I was in my local cheapo computer store looking for a $4 USB mouse. They had serial and ps2 but no £1.99 USB

I tried a USB games controller too ...
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 07 May 2007, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

lvds

#23 Post by lvds »

Hi,

I have tested a lot and found all USB mouse was working fine in eXpand v2.15 without having nothing else to do.

If you have a PS2 mouse not reacting because of the newer version of puppyserialdetect please help improve by sending tests results as explained above. I am sure we will all be able to upgrade new releases so to satisfy everybody as far as we remain calm and act positively.

As far as i know Teenpup and other distro uses the previous puppyserialdetect version and when testing i have not been able to use them with usb mouse, though ps2 mouse works ok on them.

It have been a choice on our local area to use software compatible with USB mouse for two reasons:
1. computers sold nowadays comes with USB mouse. It is the future. PS2 mouses are from the past.
2. we had many tests with ps2 mouse plugged into an USB adaptor and it worked very good.

Best regards,
Laurent.

Fiberflinger

#24 Post by Fiberflinger »

I like the kitty cat. Not big on flowers. But they are really cool.

FF

raffy

serial works

#25 Post by raffy »

Serial mouse works, so better buy that mouse from the store. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

lvds

#26 Post by lvds »

alienjeff wrote:
mbutts wrote:"... certainly nice to see that teens and women have specific versions to suit them as well!"
Yawn. What next? A version of Puppy for hermaphrodites?
Hi,

In fact the "Girl Edition" of eXpand is a cutdown of a much bigger cdrom ISO. We made a big puppy which was very complete, including many more games, xfce and jwm, firefox, flash9, java, wireshark, thunderbird, xmms, mplayer, realplayer and extended multimedia capabilities, audacity, music studio creation tools, synth mixer, drum machine, teamspeak, gnumeric, Kompozer, acrobat reader, dia, gimp and many more... even a flight simulator ! ;-)

... But the iso filesize for this very complete office suite is around 288 Mo and you will need a recent computer with 512 Mo ram to load this. I added a cdrom directory for ready to install more-softwares, so the filesize to download is around 454Mo. Though we all run with a linux swap partition this wouldn't cause us any problem but we understood it might not be the same for everyone.

The goal was to have a rock solid environment with enough tools pre-built in, so we would have to install additional software very rarely. Or at least something that could stand for a few months. I use it to work on my old pc with a PS2 mouse and other USB ports works fine. I have it working ok also on many differents notebooks at work with USB mouse and other USB ports working ok. So i hope the problems related by some users about PS2 mouse not recognized are rare. Though i experimented once a PS2 mouse not recognized on a old pc, i have plugged in into a PS2/usb adaptator and then it worked fine. I have tested it on many pc and it works ok, though sometimes i had to change the usb mouse from one usb port to another (because usb ports does not react all the same). I had also to tune finely the bios settings.

As the girls here asked a descent release of an operating system ready to use on aLive-CD with their preferred shortcuts and applications, i have made cuts inside the big ISO to create this final "Girl Edition"

Now, sometimes i wonder if this is very useful. Perhaps it would be best to have a cdrom bootable with a text script asking to install all of this pre-configured software on a partition hard disk, or on a usb key. This way we could load even more software and they would not use all this ram.

Anyway, File is available for download here if you need:
[EDIT: updated, see post below]

Best regards,
Laurent.
Last edited by lvds on Wed 09 May 2007, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

lvds

#27 Post by lvds »

Hi,

The bug causing mouse problems is now corrected. We had many tests and no problem report so far, so people are using it ok here.

An update of eXpand Office is now available for those of you interested

http://securexp.free.fr/eXpand215b-office.iso

Filesize: 454422528
md5sum: c363de07608a50ffc1c4c15cc6b69627

I will also update the link for eXpand - Barbie Revamped when uploads will be over.

Thanks again for your support, we apologize for inconvenience caused by this bug.

Best regards,
Laurent.

lvds

#28 Post by lvds »

Hi,

I have edited the first post of this thread to update the link and md5sum and filesize to the new ones. Thanks to MU and PKAG the file is mirrored with others iso files.

This release of eXpand215b-Barbie_Revamped hopefully correct the mouse bug some of you encountered.

FILE IS AVAILABLE HERE:
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2007-01-to-06 ... vamped.iso
File size: 313434112
md5sum: b9f7b17a9c2ba4c34998b57b4d9c5f50

Best regards,
Laurent.
Last edited by lvds on Thu 10 May 2007, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

raffy

post corrected file

#29 Post by raffy »

Could you please post here the corrected file or link to it? That can save users' bandwidth. :) Thanks.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Tui

NETWORK CONNECTION - Not again !

#30 Post by Tui »

Hi all on this chat topic, after my many remarks regarding the problem
with network detection ! The detection WIZ wants to keep installing my wireless
device - Trouble is I don't have one ! Itjust won't detect my onboard enet chipset.
After manual selection within the drivers window, it reports as cant find. This
version has the problem of puppy v2.15CE-RC2; -RC3; -RC4 and v2.15CE-FINAL !

Puppy v2.15CE-RC1 works fine regarding the detection of onboard chipset.

Cheers
Tui

cthisbear

#31 Post by cthisbear »

( lvds

This release of eXpand215b-Barbie_Revamped hopefully correct the mouse bug some of you encountered. )

Edsel has now become Do Tell after your upgrade.

I will distribute this around Sydney to any likely suspects.
Cheers...Chris

cobelloy

#32 Post by cobelloy »

heres why women dont want to use a compiler

WE DONT HAVE THE TIME !!!

we work full time, keep a household and raise children, some even tend gardens and look after pets (and husbands too) and also have had to learn how to use powertools in this new 'equal opportunity' world - those of us who are also computer nerds usually find nerding time is limited to almost none at all.

although I do have time to sit and play a hundred mb of games, so i think I might download it, since someone else made it for me to use...

one word of advice though - the word expand is something that women will have a natural aversion too, just calling it 'barbie edition' would have been enough.

heri

#33 Post by heri »

Lilahblossom

Barbie not found

#34 Post by Lilahblossom »

I would be so happy if I could download Expand Barbie. I tried the link and it isn't working? Or I'm doing something wrong? Barbie is so pretty and the games look fun. Thankyou

alienjeff

#35 Post by alienjeff »

@Lilahblossom

Try this link: http://puppyisos.org/isos/2007-01-to-06/ and select "eXpand215b-Barbie_Revamped.iso" from the listing. The md5sum.txt file is directly below it.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]