Created a directory, but can't delete it. (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
jacatone

Created a directory, but can't delete it. (Solved)

#1 Post by jacatone »

I miss having a "home" directory so I created one. I thought I was adding it to /root, but it ended up as a sub-directory of /etc/. Now I can't seem to delete it by selecting it, then delete. Also, can't copy any files to it. Get an error message. What's the correct procedure in uXplor file manager? This would have worked in Konqueror. Thanks.

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

on the cli:

# rmdir /etc/home

if you get error messages report them to your local police department. just kidding, report them here.

jacatone

#3 Post by jacatone »

Just say's "No such file or directory" when I try rmdir/etc/home. It's still there though.

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

jacatone wrote:Just say's "No such file or directory" when I try rmdir/etc/home. It's still there though.
rmdir(space)/mnt/home

rmdir /mnt/home

jacatone

#5 Post by jacatone »

Nope, still didn't work. Why is it /mnt/home when I created the file in the /etc/ directory? Also, how do you copy the text results from the shell? Thanks.

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

jacatone wrote:Nope, still didn't work. Why is it /mnt/home when I created the file in the /etc/ directory?

Force of habit of thought. /mnt/home exists in most puppy installs, /etc/home never does - except in this case.

Sorry, the main point is put a space in
rmdir /etc/home

Also, how do you copy the text results from the shell? Thanks.
Select text with left mouse button

Press wheel to paste

-----------

There's a recent topic on this and various ways.

jacatone

#7 Post by jacatone »

Strange, I was able to remove it using the Xfe file manager but not the uXplor one.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Jacatone, it would have been helpful if you'd told us how you're running Puppy. The assumption is that you installed it to a hard drive, but is it a full install or a "frugal" install?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

jacatone

#9 Post by jacatone »

Sorry, will do so in the future. Is a full install in it's own partition and a frugal in a shared one?

Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

jacatone wrote:Sorry, will do so in the future. Is a full install in it's own partition and a frugal in a shared one?
Thanks Flash, thanks jacatone. The more information we have, the easier to help. The better and more specific the question, the better the answer.

I'm happy to help you and do so when I get a chance, you seem so enthusiastic about Puppy, learning things and making changes, I have no idea what you are up to at any given moment.

Bruce