DotPet registration and dependencies

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
paulsiu

DotPet registration and dependencies

#1 Post by paulsiu »

Recently, I was in the process of creating Ruby dotpet. After reading the Makefile, I realized that Ruby comes in two parts: ruby and ruby-doc. The difference is that the former is make install, the later is make install-doc.

The dotpet indicated that while new2dir can handle multiple packages, it is not entirely reliable. To get around the problem, I did a new2dir on make install. Change the directory name to ruby-doc and did a new2dir on make install-doc. I then use dir2pet to create the two dotpet.

When I install the dotpet files, I notice that one will erase the regristration of the other. Suppose I install ruby and then ruby-doc, ruby is erased from the registration list. How do I get around this problem?

Paul

paulsiu

Figured it out

#2 Post by paulsiu »

The package is registered by the filename. I seems to attempt to read off the filename and then extract the name before the dash number. Previous, I had two packages:

ruby-1.8.6-i486
ruby-1.8.6-doc-i486

What happens is that when you do a dir2pet. It strip off the version number and everthing after it. Both end up with the signature of "ruby".

To get around the problem, I rename the ruby-1.8.6-doc-i486 to ruby-doc-1.8.6-i486.

Paul