Puppy 2.16 Beta--Pup_save files booting from CD

Please post any bugs you have found
rrolsbe

Puppy 2.16 Beta--Pup_save files booting from CD

#1 Post by rrolsbe »

I performed the following:

1. I downloaded the 2.16 Beta ISO
2. Remastered the 2.16 Beta ISO to add my puppy 2.16 alpha pup_save crypto file
3. Created a boot cd using the remastered ISO from step 2 above.
4. Booted from CD created in step 3 above.

Puppy found the pup_save file located on the CD but did not find the three pup_save files located on the internal IDE harddrive. NOTE: when I remade the 2.16Beta boot CD without including the pup_save file on the boot CD the boot process did find the 3 pup_save files on the hard drive. When I attemped to use the pup_save file located on the boot CD, the boot process tried to mount the pup_save file RW and failed with errors.

Questions: When a pup_save.sfs file is located on a puppy boot CD, puppy should find and allow selection of pup_save files located on internal IDE drives, correct?
I actually got excided when the puppy 2.16 Beta presented me the option of chosing the pup_save file located on the boot cd media thinking it might use the file in a read only mode. If puppy could use the pup_save file in a read only mode, remastering might not always be needed to create custom puppy boot media with desired personnel settings.

Just my cents
Regards
Ron

PS-- The beta looks GREAT!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Actually, that's something I never even considered, that someone would put a pup_save file on the CD!

rrolsbe

Using the pup_save file from CD could retain encryption

#3 Post by rrolsbe »

BarryK wrote:Actually, that's something I never even considered, that someone would put a pup_save file on the CD!
After trying the fixed pupremaster.sh script Dougal posted this morning, I verified, as expected, the files from the encrypted pup_save added to the remastered CD do not retain their encryption. If it were possible to mount the encrypted pup_save file located on the puppy boot cd read-only, it might be possible to retain the encryption. BTW, Barry do you plan to add Dougal's fixed pupremaster.sh script to the puppy2.16 final release? Next time I remaster puppy and add my pup_save file to the iso, I plan to rename the file. Renaming the file will allow puppy to find my pup_save files located on my hard drive; likewise, give me the option of copying/renaming the pup_save file from the cd to other devices for use.

Thanks for your consideration regarding these possibilities.

Regards
Ron